LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Custom grind for LTx cars, who are the big names?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Make sure you tell Bret you are going to choose among the specs provided by CM, AI and his. That will help the fun continue.
No doubt.

That will go over like a fart in church....
Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]Wow I had no idea they did cams. I live a couple minutes away from Second Street and they always do all my tuning. How long ago was this? because Im thinking Lon may be the old owner because now a guy named Bill runs the unless the other guy I sometimes see is him.[/quote]

Probably about a year ago.... He uses comp blanks and specs the cams out and custom orders them depending on your combo like what most cam grinders do..... Just ask the guy Bill if a guy named Lon works there... He did George Baxters cam and that got me interested cause that guy had the fastest LT1 on the planet for awhile back in the day....
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow and da curious
I hate to keep beatin a dead horse but if ever get another one done, it'll be by Bret.

Period

Had a little trouble getting the cam card, but that's understandable. I'll never give out his numbers though. When I pull up to a light next to a Mustang and he looks at me like I know I made the right choice.

so what does your car run with the Super cam?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Default Super Cam??

You called it a Super Cam, I didn't.....so don't put words in my mouth. I'm just very happy with it. And I haven't taken it to the track yet. Waiting on the Bogarts and DR's. You'll be the first one I PM when I get the numbers though.

And I didn't build the car to be the ***** out fastest. Wanted something fairly quick for the street that's all. I just sold a low 10 sec bracket car. I did the go fast thing already. Want a weekend toy now.

Last edited by slow and da curious; 04-16-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jakesz28
I tried getting to Bret to spec my cam and gave up. I would rather talk to a person over the phone and he didn't return all my emails. I gave up and cam motions is doing my solid roller. It's big.
How big is big?, mine is a 248/254 with .678 lift w/ 1.6rr on a 108lsa. and going in a 355. Im "trying" to replicate 95Formulas old setup. We'll see......
Old 04-16-2008, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

You called it a Super Cam, I didn't.....so don't put words in my mouth. I'm just very happy with it. And I haven't taken it to the track yet. Waiting on the Bogarts and DR's. You'll be the first one I PM when I get the numbers though.

And I didn't build the car to be the ***** out fastest. Wanted something fairly quick for the street that's all. I just sold a low 10 sec bracket car. I did the go fast thing already. Want a weekend toy now.
glad you're happy with it...I'd prefer to call it the "sledgehammer" cam though.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
glad you're happy with it...I'd prefer to call it the "sledgehammer" cam though.
SS - No offense brother, but have you had a bad experience with his cams? Before I picked the cam I have, I did alot of reading on here and other sites and his cams were recommended more than any other. This very thread says the same thing. Alot of guys recommending BRE cams. I have a good idea about what you're talking about, calling it a "sledgehammer" cam but, as of yet, I've had absolutely no problems with it. Of course, I don't beat the hell outta my **** either. The car is stictly for cruisin on the weekends, weather permitting, and maybe....maybe....once a month bracket racing. And I didn't just add the cam. The whole drivetrain was upgraded. Granted, I don't have 10k miles on it but, so far the cam has been everything I've hoped for. And it's a small cam at that. Anyway, go ahead and explain why it's a "sledgehammer" just to make sure we're on the same page. Hopefully you won't just be giving an opinion either.

On a side note, the '67 is very nice. I won't get rid of the TA until I can find a Chevelle like that one. Everyone has their favorite muscle from back in the day, and that one is mine.

Peace
Old 04-17-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SS - No offense brother, but have you had a bad experience with his cams? Before I picked the cam I have, I did alot of reading on here and other sites and his cams were recommended more than any other. This very thread says the same thing. Alot of guys recommending BRE cams. I have a good idea about what you're talking about, calling it a "sledgehammer" cam but, as of yet, I've had absolutely no problems with it. Of course, I don't beat the hell outta my **** either. The car is stictly for cruisin on the weekends, weather permitting, and maybe....maybe....once a month bracket racing. And I didn't just add the cam. The whole drivetrain was upgraded. Granted, I don't have 10k miles on it but, so far the cam has been everything I've hoped for. And it's a small cam at that. Anyway, go ahead and explain why it's a "sledgehammer" just to make sure we're on the same page. Hopefully you won't just be giving an opinion either.

Peace
Sledgehammer was the well-known twin-turbo Vette from Callaway with an engine (and valvetrain) built by Lingenfelter. I dare say that was not the comparison SS had in mind.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer perhaps?

Cool screen name slow.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Sledgehammer was the well-known twin-turbo Vette from Callaway with an engine (and valvetrain) built by Lingenfelter. I dare say that was not the comparison SS had in mind.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer perhaps?

Cool screen name slow.
254 mph and drive it home. Very impressive car..
Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Cool screen name slow.
Thanks. It's my protest to the box office smash () "Fast and the Furious"

Last edited by slow and da curious; 04-17-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go bret, he is going to do mine for the new 355.

But if my new promotion finally goes through Im considering a little comparison in the 355 between a BRE cam and an AI cam, Bret said he was more than willing, Ive yet to talk to AI though and Ive got to figure something out for tuning, cause im not gonna lay down 1k for two different dyno tunes just for comparisons sake but its really something I want to do. maybe theyll give me a little discount since my car will be on their dyno so often.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Go bret, he is going to do mine for the new 355.

But if my new promotion finally goes through Im considering a little comparison in the 355 between a BRE cam and an AI cam, Bret said he was more than willing, Ive yet to talk to AI though and Ive got to figure something out for tuning, cause im not gonna lay down 1k for two different dyno tunes just for comparisons sake but its really something I want to do. maybe theyll give me a little discount since my car will be on their dyno so often.
Man do I hope they step up to the plate on this one! Fat chance, IMO. They have very little to gain and a whole pooppot to lose. I just checked the sponsor list. AI isn't on it, nor is Bret so I can say all this. Kool.

Jon
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well Why would they not sell me a cam if I call and order one. Can I get introuble for buying on of their cam dynoing it and then taking it out and throwing in a BRE cam and dynoing it and then posting up the results for everyone to see haha
Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Well Why would they not sell me a cam if I call and order one. Can I get introuble for buying on of their cam dynoing it and then taking it out and throwing in a BRE cam and dynoing it and then posting up the results for everyone to see haha
Be a man! Tell AI exactly what you are going to do and have them sell you their best stick for what you want out of the engine. If Bret knows what you are doing, AI should be afforded the same info. Fair's fair, after all.

We don't want the Mr. Ps and the Mgrs of the internet to have any excuses to fall back on.

Jon
Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know I planned on it, I want the best from both camps.

I was just jokin around.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do the test I propose you DRIVE each a couple thousand miles before testing, speed is nothing without reliability.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this going to be a dyno queen competion or is real world performance going to be factored in?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you do the test I propose you DRIVE each a couple thousand miles before testing, speed is nothing without reliability.
I doubt reliabilty will be a major deal if the valvetrain is set up properly.

Seems the AI guys like t make a big deal about BRE cam wearing out springs. Personally I could care less. If they last 15K miles big deal this isnt a oe motor, im building it to go fast.

I have two buddys who have built LSXs and they both run cams from different grinders and they replace springs once a year.

I realize that when Im going with a huge cam, with fast ramp rates and Im gonna beat the hell out of it and rev it to 7K I cant expect the spring or whatever to not wear out, maybe on a mild cruiser but thats not what this is gonna be.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I have got her hookin by then, ill do track runs to,but I orignally just planned on comparing peak numbers, and average power numbers.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am fine with 15-20K but the 2-5K EXPERIANCED by some should be considered unacceptable. Valvespring fatigue is like shocks wearing out, slow and subtle and a LOT more cars out there experiancing it than owners realize.

Quick Reply: Custom grind for LTx cars, who are the big names?