LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I Hate Ls1's

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, do you hate all cars that, stock, are faster than your car, or just LS1's?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 03-16-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97badass
ive always heard that you have to tune for the 160* t-stat because the intake temperatures wont be the same and it wont burn as complete as before, so you need to lean it down a little bit for it to have the proper amount of fuel in the combustion chamber. and also that people tune for the fans to come on earlier.
Yes you have to tune for a 160 stat in an LS1 if you want your car to run at 100%. I don't know the LT1 computer but with the late model your ECT has a huge effect on everything including your open loop fueling AKA WOT.

Your car will run. But things wont be square.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

screaminredz.....i dont know if you can read my post or not but i said my time was better than his stock ls1...and i think everyone who has posted in this thread knows that i do not literally hate ls1's you dumbass. i know ls1's are better than lt1's STOCK and thats alright cuz i'd rather have my lt1 so i can beat idiots like you that talk **** about the lt1!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N20Dave
Let me know when you LS1 guys are ready to run against my LT1 for pinks...
Best 3 out of 5? Lose the race, lose your ride?

Don't be upset because the LS1 was a better engine design then the LT1. I kind of think GM intended it to be that way. Let me know when you finally accept that

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
I was merely stating that you don't need heads/cam on an LT1 to run 12s.
I know. I was just busting chops a little since the name of the thread is "I hate LS1's".

I could care less what the bolt on LS1 record is. It's supposed to be faster. All aluminum, 6-bolt main, 6.125" rods, .500 lift cam, 230 cfm 15* heads, all from the factory. If they were anything alike, and it being faster, I could see your point for bragging.
If it were my car then it would be bragging. I was just busting chops. I used to have a LT1 and respect any car that's fast even if it's an import. It's all good

You don't see us LT1 guys going to the TPI forums and bragging about LT1s, do you?
Now that's not fair. If Al Gore had invented the internet back in 1993 then I'm sure the TPI forums would have been flooded by LT1 guys. But by the time Al got around to bringing us the internet too much time had passed. It would just be silly to mess with TPI guys now. They have enough to feel bad about as it is
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1_T/A
screaminredz.....i dont know if you can read my post or not but i said my time was better than his stock ls1...and i think everyone who has posted in this thread knows that i do not literally hate ls1's you dumbass. i know ls1's are better than lt1's STOCK and thats alright cuz i'd rather have my lt1 so i can beat idiots like you that talk **** about the lt1!!!
When was he talking **** about lt1s? he owns an lt1 also...
Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hate them too..but only when they are automatic's with 2.73's and I'm driving around town....makes me miss the 4 LT1's I've had and there "snappy" throttle response.

I love it out on the highway though... especially blasting pass a new $30k+ Mustang GT!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Simply put, each series of the powerplant is more advanced than the last. 'Better' is subjective. But you can't deny numbers.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

I do see BBC guys laughing at LSX and LT guys though. Old school BBC still pwns!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97blkz
I do see BBC guys laughing at LSX and LT guys though. Old school BBC still pwns!
Yes they do

Nothing in this world looks sexier to me then a late 60's Camaro that can run 10's or faster at the track.

But I have to admit that next door nikki is a real close second
Old 03-16-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Best 3 out of 5? Lose the race, lose your ride?

Don't be upset because the LS1 was a better engine design then the LT1. I kind of think GM intended it to be that way. Let me know when you finally accept that
Yah but the SB2.2 owns LScars.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Just joking. The LS1 is a better all around package because of those 15* heads, why do you think I switched to an 11* head for my LT1? The bottom ends are about the same in design. It all comes down to airflow...

P.S. We can race as many times as you want, I'll still smoke your ***
Old 03-17-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I ran a similiar time to you(w/ pretty similar mods) but i had some crappy pacesetter shorties. I had a posi problem and i think my best 60 was a 2.0. Yea back when the Ls1 came out I had a buddy w/ a stock a4 ss run faster then me and he was bone stock so i know how you feel. Throw some heads and cam on it and have fun...If theres faster cars then you then so be it, theres always someone faster.BTW goodlooking Lt1.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

lol yeah i cant wait to get my cam in there....should be sometime this week or next, i will post vids...thanks for all the positive comments!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

If I had the opportunity to switch to an LS1 right now, I would, all motor loyalties aside and w/e else you guys are using to rationalize to sticking to the LT1. I don't mind the LT1 motor, as its still powerful and fun to mod, but then again I'm not building it like crazy and going for some big numbers either. I just like slapping bolt-ons on it and using it as my daily driver. The LS1 is just better. You can bitch, cry, moan all you want, but its still just better. The only reason I bought my car is because it was a good deal and at the time the LS1 F-bodies in my area wanted about $5000 more on avg then what I paid.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Just joking. The LS1 is a better all around package because of those 15* heads, why do you think I switched to an 11* head for my LT1? The bottom ends are about the same in design. It all comes down to airflow...
The head design was by far the biggest advantage power wise. But I also liked the improved ignition system and the aluminum blocks. We even have had stock bottom end LS1's break into the 9's NA. And of course the world record being 6.86 @ 205 shows how impressive this engine design really is. I'm not saying LS1's are the best motor out there but they were certainly a great engine design with more potential then what the LT1 had. Hence why GM replaced the LT1 with the LS1.

P.S. We can race as many times as you want, I'll still smoke your ***
Right now my car is still in storage and with a busted tranny. Once it comes out of storage it's heading over to New Era Performance where it'll be getting ETP 215 heads (ironically an 11 degree head also), streetsweeper cam, Fast 92 intake, underdrive pulley, 150 wet kit and a performabuilt stage 3 4L60E. The order has a ton more stuff but that's all the power adding crap. I'll also be doing some weight reduction.

This combo is supposed to be good for high 9's and should see around 600 rwhp on spray. It's a lot for the stock shortblock but I figure WTF. Run the **** out of it till it blows and then look at forged shortblocks from LME or SDPC or some other reputable builder.

Point is that should make us a real good race if the time in your sig is current and accurate.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1
The head design was by far the biggest advantage power wise. But I also liked the improved ignition system and the aluminum blocks. We even have had stock bottom end LS1's break into the 9's NA. And of course the world record being 6.86 @ 205 shows how impressive this engine design really is. I'm not saying LS1's are the best motor out there but they were certainly a great engine design with more potential then what the LT1 had. Hence why GM replaced the LT1 with the LS1.
What is the fastest world record for a Gen 1 350? The fastest LS1 record was set with an iron block and a different ignition system. As N20Dave said the bottom ends are very similar so it basically comes down to heads and intake. If you add some heads that flow like LS1 heads and a sheet metal intake an LT1 should technically be able to produce very similar results. There is one guy on here that is know as sleeperz28 that has made 1,400-1,500hp with the original LT1 intake and block. Besides improved design the LS1 is not that far away from the LT1, all its called is aftermarket support and development. You have companies with giant pocket books supporting building these LScars...LT1's not so often. But an LS1 is a better design as they come in the cars but an LT1 car can be had for half the price of an LS1. I pick the LT1 over LS1 because its easier to get people to race you and its a surprize to them. Everyone around hear knows LS1 cars are fast. I love the fact that I can have 500hp+ but my engine look 100% stock (gonna use stock TB plate). This can be had with an LS1 but when people hear the lope it is automatically assumed that it is very fast, LT1...not really.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

This could be argued forever but it dosent matter. All the matters is that you have what you like, enjoy, and can afford. Does anyone actually need a car with anything more than an 11 second time slip in a street car, no. I only care about having something fast because it is a total blast, a hobby, and a mode of transportation that can put a huge smile on your face on the way to work..anything else it just for bragging rights. Well actually if you have a source of income because you car is faster than everyone then thats cool by me But that takes me back to wanting the externally stock looking LT1 with the under intake plumbed 300 shot, then some BS ebay fast and furious looking nitrous system hooked up with a 100 shot jet in it Yeah I got a 100 shot and a cc306

Last edited by B-Rad420; 03-17-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by B-Rad420
What is the fastest world record for a Gen 1 350?
No idea but I am curious.

The fastest LS1 record was set with an iron block and a different ignition system.
Well obviously. It's takes a lot to support 1700 HP. But it's still the worlds fastest LSX powered vehicle.

As N20Dave said the bottom ends are very similar so it basically comes down to heads and intake. If you add some heads that flow like LS1 heads and a sheet metal intake an LT1 should technically be able to produce very similar results. There is one guy on here that is know as sleeperz28 that has made 1,400-1,500hp with the original LT1 intake and block. Besides improved design the LS1 is not that far away from the LT1, all its called is aftermarket support and development. You have companies with giant pocket books supporting building these LScars...LT1's not so often.
They are not far off but the LS1 is always ahead. Stock for stock, stock internal, cam only, heads/cam on stock CI, ect all favor the LS1.

But an LS1 is a better design as they come in the cars but an LT1 car can be had for half the price of an LS1.
That was a big deal a few years ago but now the LS1 cars are getting inexpensive enough now that just about anyone can afford one. I've seen plenty sell for under 10K.

I pick the LT1 over LS1 because its easier to get people to race you and its a surprize to them. Everyone around hear knows LS1 cars are fast. I love the fact that I can have 500hp+ but my engine look 100% stock (gonna use stock TB plate). This can be had with an LS1 but when people hear the lope it is automatically assumed that it is very fast, LT1...not really.
That's cool
Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

buy an LS1

Quick Reply: I Hate Ls1's