LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 opti troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 opti troubleshooting

alright this may be a "novice" advanced question, but I am absolutely stumped, ive been working on my LT1 for a few months now since it has made its first attempt at "rebirth" but I need advice on how to troubleshoot on determining wether the opti went bad or not. Ive replaced plugs, wires, and my car runs pig rich which doesnt help, but I am still worried that when i took off my old plug wires from the opti, i saw a powder buildup come off from inside the opti plug hole, which makes me think its all corroded inside, but Im looking for anyone's input on some good ol' LT1 opti help
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best thing to do if you are in doubt is pull the cap and inspect the inside of the cap and rotor. The rotors are notorious for actually coming apart. However, if the car is running rich, I would look at other possibilities first such as vaccuum leaks or exhaust leaks which could cause the computer to sense a lean condition. The opti shouldn't be the problem unless the car has a miss or other driveability issues.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Idle is choppier than normal and there is a definite miss under load. Checked all of my plug wires, there is no sign of damage to them, im checking my plugs again tonight to make sure they are not fouled again, but im almost positive thats not the case. when i rev the motor up the exhaust pops and misses like ive never heard before. im getting sick and tired of wrenching on this piece of ****, i just want to drive it
Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your fuel pressure. any codes? did you put on different injectors?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

yup it has 30lb svo injectors, i think one of them may have gone bad, i checked last night and the opti does have spark. i think its flooding itself out to the point where it is so rich it wont start or else its just a bad injector now. hard to say...
Old 03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

welp got the new plugs in last night in 1.5 hours, not too bad considering my shitty *** headers, but lets hope tonight i can get the damn thing up and running so i can get it to the speed shop to get dyno tuned
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

do you have the right tune for those injectors? some people don't realize you have to tune those differently than gm injectors. If you're running that rich it sounds like something is off.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

egr not working properly, ignition timing incorrect, vaccum leak, damaged valvesprings or sticking valves, intake air (vaccum) leak. when in doubt i whip out the old haynes manual.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

yah its tuned for the 30lb svo's, and believe me powder96SS ive abused my haynes manual haha but tonight im gonna tear into it, ill be posting later to ask about any other questions for anyone who is willing to help out
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

i had the same problem bro, it was missing badly and then one day at a red light it just died and wouldnt crank back up, had to tow it home, so i bought new cap and rotor, wires and plugs and got it ALL back together and wouldnt crank , so i got my ignition module checked and it was good and they couldnt check my coil pack so i got another for like $30 bucks came home slapped it on and it fired right up, the whole time it was my coil pack , i was pissed but owell my car just got like the ultimate tune up lol ...good luck
Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

it was the plugs and bad gas, i got the tank filled with fresh gas and still dropped a new plug already but its runnin now so shes off to the speed shop

Quick Reply: LT1 opti troubleshooting