LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just finished installing my intake gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Just finished installing my intake gaskets

so like the title says i just finished up my intake gaskets thanks to the infamous LT1 intake oil leak!! after reading ALOT of threads and talking to ALOT of people i came to the conclusion that if i didnt want to be doing this fix again i needed to delete the egr pipe. so i ordered an egr block off kit from R&D speed 25.00. install wasnt to bad except that i think the previous owner had already done it before me and needless to say he/she was very sloppy. and the at least 5 year old fel-pro's didnt want to come off unless it was in a 1000 peices!! is anyone else running block off plates, if so any prob's? and before anyone says it i know iv gotta get the egr system tuned out to get rid of that stupid ses light but its not like its keeping me out of closed loop so im not in any big hurry. also, while i had it out (intake) i went ahead and painted her LT4 red, always wanted to but just never could justify doing all that **** to pull it out only to paint it red, so i guess the leak finally gave me the reason id been looking for. and as far as total install time, not including painting the intake-4 1/2 hours.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes the infamous LT1 intake leak. Just remember when installing the intake, to use adequate silicone sealant at the front and especially the rear. Torque the bolts in the right sequence and let it sit atleast 24hrs. and you should be good to go. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ya i used some sealant we have at the shop, its made for the powerstroke deisels, its some bad ****, and its been sitting for........10 hours now and i wont be starting it until noon tommorow so i should hopefully be ok. and trust me i used an "adequate" amount on both front and rear
Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
Oh yes the infamous LT1 intake leak. Just remember when installing the intake, to use adequate silicone sealant at the front and especially the rear. Torque the bolts in the right sequence and let it sit atleast 24hrs. and you should be good to go. Good luck.
I agree with you, however as long as the EGR pipe is in place, you'll still see a breakdown over time. My daily driven during the summer, '96 Z-28 hasn't gotten more than 3-4 years out of a gasket/sealer "freshening". The dealer did it once, under warranty, and I've done it twice since then.