LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2 series 3.73's vs 3 series/ring and pinion install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 series 3.73's vs 3 series/ring and pinion install question

Is there any difference between the two besides the thickness, like performance wise. Also, I have never done rear end work ever, but how hard is it to install a ring and pinion yourself, can it be done with the rear end still on the car?. Is it one of those things you can mess up easily if its not installed correctly and off by a tooth or something.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Is there any difference between the two besides the thickness, like performance wise. Also, I have never done rear end work ever, but how hard is it to install a ring and pinion yourself, can it be done with the rear end still on the car?. Is it one of those things you can mess up easily if its not installed correctly and off by a tooth or something.
Thicker = stronger

Someone else who knows more about it may be able to provide some other nsight, but that's the bottom line.

As for doing it yourself, I wouldn't recommend it, especially since its something you haven't done. Sometimes even professionals don't get it right. You could end up with it being really noisy, or even breaking the gears. Definitely something I would have done by a reputable shop. Just my .02

And yes, you do it with the rear end still in the car.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the swap from 2.73 to 3.42 (2 series carrier) gears last year, and it was my first time. There are a few critical things to get right, such as pinion bearing preload, carrier bearing pre-load, and backlash. Mine have been fine for me, so I say go for it as long as you feel comfortable with it. Everyone had a first time after all. I'd suggest do as much reading up on it as possible, and get someone to check your work if possible.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Launching!

So I have a 2 series and I going from 2:73 to 3:73 I need that spacer deal? is that the right way to do it? I'm just wondering if there is a better way to do this and keep my 2 series carrier
Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 95camaroz28
So I have a 2 series and I going from 2:73 to 3:73 I need that spacer deal? is that the right way to do it? I'm just wondering if there is a better way to do this and keep my 2 series carrier
spacers are the wrong way to do it. you either want to get the 2 series gears (thicker gears) or swap the carrier.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by infinitebird
spacers are the wrong way to do it. you either want to get the 2 series gears (thicker gears) or swap the carrier.
Excellent where do I get them at? That is what I have been wondering thank you for answering my question

Quick Reply: 2 series 3.73's vs 3 series/ring and pinion install question