LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1/2 tank of gas just idling ? wtf?... and roller rockers clicking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Yeah but he was asking why we do preload... At least that's how I took his reply.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

when doing it with engine running, at idle there shouldn't be a lot of oil with the stock pump. Rev it up and it will be a different story.

Matt[/QUOTE]

well could you define "there shouldn't be alot" because while at idle there is literally like basically no oil coming over the rockers on my car... but on a few of them it is literally streaming like making a little river down the bottom of the head lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well could you define "there shouldn't be alot" because while at idle there is literally like basically no oil coming over the rockers on my car... but on a few of them it is literally streaming like making a little river down the bottom of the head lol.
There will be some variance to amount of oil over the tops of the rockers, so long as there is oil there you should be ok. Some lifters pump better than others andthere may not be a whole lot of oil to pump from the closer you get to the front of the block, until the RPMs climb and the pump starts producing more oil to the topend.

On my Lumina the rockers are designed so that you just torque them down, no worries about lash and you can't really overlash them I like that design better. I do what was sais earlier with the engine running I loosen the lock until I hear it clack then I slowly turn it until it stops, back it up to where it starts again than use my fingers to turn it to where it stops (smaller increments that way) then lock her down.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

ya thats funny you say that man the very front 2 were the ones that were oiling like crazy i was like wtf? why are these oiliing like mad and the others seem dry basically. lol. but ya i really just need to get my exhaust on to do this properly no sense in wasting my time anymore you know.. i'll just put the exhaust on set the rockers, then take it off the headers and post up some vids for you guys, car sounds real nice with the hotcam and longtubes lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

i always do my lt1 while its running, its the only way I can get them perfect. Lt1s do not oil very much at idle so you really do not have to worry about the mess. I just loosen them till it starts to click then tighten till they stop clicking, then add the preload.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

If the engine is warm it will spray more oil.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

then just put a piece of cardboard there to block oil. lt1s really dont make nuch if any mess.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fordeater
then just put a piece of cardboard there to block oil. lt1s really dont make nuch if any mess.
wow im suprised. i had my car running for less then 5 minutes with the valve covers off and there was a huge puddle of oil underneath the car. i had oil all over my engine bay. mine squirt like crazy at idle.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

My RR's are just plain noisy ive adjusted them several times along with some other shops around here and i just have a lot of noise with them, runs fine just noisy thats why i think im going to go with some composite valve covers or some aftermarket one to muffle the noise.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
wow im suprised. i had my car running for less then 5 minutes with the valve covers off and there was a huge puddle of oil underneath the car. i had oil all over my engine bay. mine squirt like crazy at idle.
what was you idle? mine at 800rpm did not oil at all only if i reved it up a little.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what was you idle? mine at 800rpm did not oil at all only if i reved it up a little
Two exact motors same exact parts radically different outcomes......why? No two engines are the same!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gatorhead
Two exact motors same exact parts radically different outcomes......why? No two engines are the same!
lol.. but they should have the same oiling characteristics..

mine barely oils at all at idle. kind of scary actually.. but the weird thing is is like 2 or 3 of them will be oiling like crazy.. like wtf ?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol.. but they should have the same oiling characteristics..

mine barely oils at all at idle. kind of scary actually.. but the weird thing is is like 2 or 3 of them will be oiling like crazy.. like wtf ?
Not necessarily! Parts vary some lifters will pump better than others, some lifter bores are tighter, some galleys sludged up etc. there are 100's of differences from motor to motor thats why you could never really compare two, not to even mention oil viscosity and pump rates