LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are new bearings required w/ cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are new bearings required w/ cam install?

I'm in the middle of disassembling the top/front of the car for a cam and top end rebuild and I just realized that I hadn't thought about whether or not I needed to change the cam bearings. Although I am doing quite a bit of work on the top end I'm not figuring on dropping the block. Which, I'm assuming, is required to change them out.

The bottom end is a re manufactured Jasper with about 50K on it. Anyone know the quality or workmanship that goes into these engines.

Any guidance or opinions would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 03-29-2008, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Unless the cam bearings are worn, they will be fine. Now if you had the motor out and were doing a full r/b you would replace them.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

No need to change the cam bearings if you didnt have any problems before you started the cam swap.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys (or girls). I've done a bit of searching and nothing really specified if the should be changed so I figured I'd ask.

Also, does anyone know the quality of Jasper reman. engines. It was in the car when I bought it and as I'm taking it apart it seems to be nearly as old as the car (as far as seals and included components are concerned) so I was just curious.

Thanks again

Steve