LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Top Stocker

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a stocker for you. Very nice. Always been my favorite class to watch at the Divisionals and Nationals. That and Super Stock.

Wait...Top Stock...is that IHRA?

In NHRA, you have to run factory lift. But you can put all the duration in it you want. The heads cannot be touched. Correct me on this if I'm wrong GIZMO. What gear are you running? I'm guessing around 5.13's with a ton of converter. That's where these cars make their power.

What's your class limit on weight? I'm pretty sure you're very close to it. Nice ride none-the-less.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:02 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's definetly an interesting car. I doubt he'll be giving out all sorts of engine specs. I like the subtle things like not having mirrors.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great looking car, daily driver? To bad you arent local I wouldnt mind trading my 98+ tail lamps for a clean set of the 93-97s.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all of the kind responses.

The motor in this car is blueprinted to NHRA specs. Several racers have gotten together in IHRA Division 9 to run a heads-up Top Stock shootout at each race this year. We are running strictly by the NHRA Stock Eliminator rules.

The motor specs.

1. Bored .060 over with Ross factory replacement forged pistons (NHRA accepted).
2. Aftermarket forged rods (NHRA accepted. Note that the piston/rod/rings have a minimum NHRA weight. All eight assemblies in this motor meet this minimum).
3. Stock crank stroked .013. Rotating assembly is balanced, but not lightened.
4. Stock cam lift. Any duration is allowed, so this is where a lot of the HP comes from.
5. Deck height is approx. .064 including the gasket.
6. The heads are NHRA legal blueprinted stock castings. They have had a three angle valve job, stock diameter replacement valves, stock diameter and height replacement valve springs, and the combustion chambers measure approx. 52 cc's.
7. The rockers are stock and the lifters are modified stockers (almost solid now).
8. The intake and throttle body are untouched stock GM.
9. The headers are Kooks.
10. Fuel injection is by FAST with SVO 24lb injectors.

Transmission/Rear specs.

1. ATI TH-350 "Ultra" (has 2.52 first gear, aluminum drum, manual valve body, and lots of tricks).
2. ATI 5200 rpm 8" MRT converter.
3. Mark Williams aluminum driveshaft.
4. Strange 12-Bolt with light weight spool, gun drillied and star flanged axles, 5.14 gear set, and titanium 5/8" studs.
5. Turbo Action shifter.

Chassis specs.

1. Light weight brakes on all corners (Strange front and Wildwood rear).
2. QA1 single adjustable shocks.
3. QA1 front springs and stock rear.
4. Air bag in passenger rear spring.
5. BMR chrome moly torque arm and non adjustable lower control arms.
6. BMR sway bar.
7. Solid engine and transmission mounts. BMR transmission crossmember.
8. Mickey Thompson wheels and tires. 9" x 30" radials (biggest tire allowed in Top Stock).
9. Three gallon fuel cell.
10. Manual rack.
11. Modified stock K-member (to ease pan removal).
12. Manual aftermarket master cylinder.

Body/Interior specs.

1. Removed mirrors and other suttle changes that include stretched rear wheel openings (see what else you can spot).
2. Front impact stuff still behind the bumper.
3. Air bags, wipers, radio, sunvisors, interior light, and misc. removed.
4. Stock manual drivers seat (others removed per Top Stock rules).
5. 10 point chrome moly cage with dash bar.
6. Light weight carpet.
7. All panels in place.
8. Functional manual windows.
9. All stock glass.
10. Empty steel weight box (30lbs).
11. Through the floor frame connectors.
12. All stock body panels.

To run Top Stock by the NHRA rules the car has to weigh 2985 including the driver. The car weighed 3000 lbs on it's first outing. I am fixing to change a few things around to see if I can get my sixty foot times in line. I will be adding a second battery and changing the transmission soon, but the weight should stay about the same. The whole car will pass NHRA/IHRA inspection and engine tear down.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

insane build and wicked cool class.... A+ work and effort
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

so no nitrous huh?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work. The times guys can run in Stock are simply amazing. Love hearing that a group is doing heads up. That is what drag racing is to me and not bracket racing. Though I still have trouble with the issue that people spend thousands on their heads/intakes to improve them but still pass tech. I guess I have to quote Robert Duvall in Days of Thunder "There ain't nothing stock about a stock car"

Good luck and awesome work.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
so no nitrous huh?
Stock Eliminator is a N/A class run at IHRA and NHRA races. The use of nitrous would probably get me a lifetime ban.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
Though I still have trouble with the issue that people spend thousands on their heads/intakes to improve them but still pass tech.
The heads on this motor were done by Woodro Josey about five years ago. They have since been freshened by Jeff Warren. They originally cost me $1,500.00 to get done (I supplied the cores). They have never seen "acid". Out of curiosity, how much air do you think a set of heads has to flow to run these numbers? How much would you guess that the "improved" heads flow?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Daren

Can you estimate the cam duration and centerline?

Nice ride as allways from you
Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Says 3000lb race weight, but damn howd' you do that!?

Thanks missed that.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

280+cfm heads flow
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Launching!

I'm gonna say around 305 - 315 cfm on the heads. I was gonna ask you if it was a Woodro motor or not. He's pretty famous in the stock ranks. I'm sure you've heard of Kevin Helms then. He's our new track manager. Helluva guy too. That bitch can bang some gears...lol. 69 camaro w/ 4speed. Talk about leave the line. You mentioned Jason Line earlier. Kevin and Jason are good friends. As we all know (well maybe not all of us), Jason ran stock for quite some time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a complete Woodro Josey built stocker motor can run you in the neighborhood of 30,000 bucks.

What class are you running....B/FIA?

I always said that if I hit the lottery, all I want is a stocker/super stocker. ****, if I hit the lottery, I might have both .

Good luck with it.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

The motor that is in the car was actually built by Jeff Warren. Woodro did the heads for me years ago. I have so much of this stuff that I have never purchased a turn key motor, but I would say that $10,000.00 is a pretty good number if you want a nice piece.

I do not have the flow sheets for the heads that are on the motor with me, because I am travelling this week. I can tell you that the flow at .500 - .600 is right around 205 - 210 CFM! They fall off after .600. My Camaro ran 6.61 @ 101 mph with a cam that measured 256/266 @ .050 (stock lift). It ran B/FIA at over 3200 lbs.

Jason is a super guy. I don't know him very well, but has always taken time out to talk Buicks with me. He and Greg have been nice enough to let us test with them a couple of times. I don't know Kevin, but I purchased some Buick parts from his brother Scott a few years back and he was really cool.

I am running the car in Top Stock and maybe I will run A/FIA at some points meets. If I run some NHRA stuff I will run B/SA.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Nice ride....keeping the F-Body strong.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GIZMO
The motor that is in the car was actually built by Jeff Warren. Woodro did the heads for me years ago. I have so much of this stuff that I have never purchased a turn key motor, but I would say that $10,000.00 is a pretty good number if you want a nice piece.

I do not have the flow sheets for the heads that are on the motor with me, because I am travelling this week. I can tell you that the flow at .500 - .600 is right around 205 - 210 CFM! They fall off after .600. My Camaro ran 6.61 @ 101 mph with a cam that measured 256/266 @ .050 (stock lift). It ran B/FIA at over 3200 lbs.

Jason is a super guy. I don't know him very well, but has always taken time out to talk Buicks with me. He and Greg have been nice enough to let us test with them a couple of times. I don't know Kevin, but I purchased some Buick parts from his brother Scott a few years back and he was really cool.

I am running the car in Top Stock and maybe I will run A/FIA at some points meets. If I run some NHRA stuff I will run B/SA.

Take Care,

Daren
Is that right on the flow numbers???

So you've got to add a couple of hundred lbs to run B? Damn.

We had a guy from the track (No Problem Raceway) set a new record in stock last year. Hell, it might have been B/FIA. Anyway, they wanted to tear him down and he just loaded up and left...didn't tear down. Not a pretty sight. I forget what NHRA penalized him but they weren't very happy. He would drag the back bumper (in a Firebird, no less) and it ran 9.xx. I could get the times but he was obviously not up to specs inside the motor.

What division are you in? We're Div 4...The Good Guys.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Just how feasible would a cam like this be on a stock bracket car?Could this be tuned with the stock pcm? With out getting in to the high dollar set ups like F.A.S.T.BAAA I got more questions just not sure how to ask them > Brain dead here today<
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That cam would work, but you may need to flycut the pistons so the valves don't hit. The stock PCM would be no probem.

Darren, did thise F.J. Smith motor mounts work out OK? I bought a set and the pan hit the K member. Hauled it across town and had it notched. Came back and tried to put the engine in again, and the pan hit the steering rack!
Would have made the engine like 5" lower in the car if it had cleared the rack. I would have been beating header tubes flat faster than I could buy them. Need to call to see if I can return them. I don't see how anybody could run them. Second set I bought from them and can't use. First time they sent a set for a V6 K member, for some reason. Should have returned them also. Freight up there is a little stiff. Thought it would be an easy way to put the bowtie block in the car. Ended up having to make a couple of pieces.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Darren, did thise F.J. Smith motor mounts work out OK? .

I have three sets of these mounts and had the exact same issues as you (2 sets LT1, 1 set LS1). If you look at the k-members that F. J. makes, he mounts the rack ahead of the factory position. The NHRA no longer allows aluminum mounts in Stock anyway. I now build my own mounts out of chrome moly.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DADDY&GIRL93TA
Just how feasible would a cam like this be on a stock bracket car?Could this be tuned with the stock pcm? With out getting in to the high dollar set ups like F.A.S.T.BAAA I got more questions just not sure how to ask them > Brain dead here today<
I put the same cam in a bone stock LT1 motor years ago and ran very low sevens in the 1/8 th. The stock PCM would probably work, but I feel that an aftermarket computer is a way better idea.

Quick Reply: LT1 Top Stocker