LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Glasspacks on an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
http://youtu.be/CjYII99QqFs runs midlengths true duals and glasspacks. Sounds pretty good to me, but to each his own.
Yuk. I remember when I used to love that sound too. But that drone, holy hell that drone! That's way worse then when my Suburban was running The Flowmaster 40 Series. Now I run Magnaflow. It's a little too small for my Camaro, but there's no drone.

Suburban with Magnaflow and Stock Camaro no Cat and a dead cylinder on #5 cylinder from an arcing spark plug wire (found after this video).

And here's my Camaro after rebuild and mods with LT's no Cat and Magnaflow Catback. It's a little loud in the cabin and installing the cat does help a bit with exhaust noise in the cabin, but there's no drone.

Same thing, but with the cat installed.

Here's a 95 with glass packs. I do like the snarl though. But that drone, I can't do the drone.

LT with Borla

LT with Hooker

LT with Spintech, I really like this set up.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lt1 is a V8. It doesn't need glasspacks unless you're 16, and would rather pay for a fart cannon then for actual performance parts. If you want a good sounding exhaust, get headers and a nice after market catback.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That 383 sounds good with the spintechs
Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You can run a single 18" glasspack with a L/T and catless setup and not have drone...add a Helmholtz resonator.

Ask me how I know
Old 02-13-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have LT's, 2.5" true duals, and glasspacks. No drone. No rasp. Some glasspacks flow better than others. If you want a high flow glasspack (such as a Dynomax race bullet) look for one that doesn't neck down inside the muffler and has a perforated core instead of louvered. I removed a Hooker Aerochamber catback when the duals were put on. I did notice a little loss of bottom end torque but it does pull quite a bit harder at higher RPM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with glass packs. Exhaust sound is all personal opinion... and a proper glasspack should flow just fine. I don't see the reason to hate.

I think I would sooner run a glass pack before I'd run a Flowmaster again. I'm currently running a SLP Dual/dual cat back off an LS1 SS on my '95, and it's loud enough for me, for now. That Magnaflow setup posted above sounds amazing.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

OP, check the green car in my garage. If you're willing to go true duals and tuck the glasspacks under the rear of the car, you get incredible sound without the drone having them under your seat (dumped).

I had mine done at a local shop in Raleigh, NC. Does mandrel bending, not a sponsor, so I can't mention the name. PM me if interested. Not cheap, though.

Quick Reply: Glasspacks on an LT1