LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alignment off after putting on LS1 front brake swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z
sdm did you have to tell the tech doing the alignment that you had ls1 brakes?
no i didn't tell the technician anything. you shouldn't have to. it either gets aligned properly, or it doesn't. it's as simple as that.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Damn.... my job blocked uploads to photobucket. lol
Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm1234
no i didn't tell the technician anything. you shouldn't have to. it either gets aligned properly, or it doesn't. it's as simple as that.
And you also seem to have absolutely no idea how an alignment machine works. Even though I have explained in several different ways, i dont think you get the fact that you have to set the computer up to recognize the adjustments necessary for the vehicle to drive the way it was intended to from the factory. There are many factors taken into consideration to make the proper measurements. You aren't just setting the wheels straight, you are positioning them within a certain set parameter specified by GM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
the spindles won't bend, however the tie rods can bend. If they are good then they prob just need adjustment (you back the nut out or in on the end of them to adjust toe).
This is not true, i have seen first hand several sets of LS1 spindles that were bent out of shape, i know it doesn't make since being that its cast iron but my only theory is that they used cheaper iron then they did with the LT1's, never seen a bent LT1 only broken but i definitely have seen bent LS1's before
Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

ok well that's interesting. I was basing that off my experience with the LT1 spindles yeah. I was in a minor accident a while back to my left front and the spindle completely snapped in half, whereas my tie rod was just bent slightly, so the spindle seemed far more rigid than flexible. Maybe the LS1 ones are different, I wasn't aware the material was any different.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Neither were we when we saw them but at the shop i used to work at we got a bunch of wrecked f-body's in for parts cars and most LT1's that recieved any front impact were either perfect or broken in 2, but we ran into a bunch of LS1's that were noticeably bent out of shape which was really weird.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Can anyone host these pics in their photobucket for me? I can't get them uploaded.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by projekt70chevelle
And you also seem to have absolutely no idea how an alignment machine works. Even though I have explained in several different ways, i dont think you get the fact that you have to set the computer up to recognize the adjustments necessary for the vehicle to drive the way it was intended to from the factory. There are many factors taken into consideration to make the proper measurements. You aren't just setting the wheels straight, you are positioning them within a certain set parameter specified by GM.
believe me, i certainly know what i am talking about in reference to alignments. i'm simply speaking in layman's terms here. i am fully aware about caster/camber/toe-in-out/torsion/roll centers/wedge/etc. etc. and the specifications of each and how they function. it's not like you can just throw any car/truck/minivan on the machine and straighten the wheels, but yet, i'm not going to go into a suspension 101 lecture like you did. all i'm saying is that an LS1 spindle setup only slightly differs from the LT1 spindle, and does not require much tweaking for a fresh alignment. an LT1 and LS1 f-body only differ in gross vehicle weight within 100lbs, if that. so, there is not much to take into consideration in relation to calculations or driving styles. it's not like we're changing the whole steering and suspension setup here. as a matter of fact, i know that all '93-'02 f-bodies do fall under the same alignment ranges, (dependent to tires sizes, however). in conclusion, for this swap, you can get away with not saying anything to the technician and the end results should be perfectly fine. now, if you get different size wheels, or lower/raise the car, or modify any other geometry of the front end, then yes, you should mention that to the tech, so he/she can take into account the alterations done.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Passenger side

Driver side

Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

so if the nut is tightened all the way, that means the tie rod end is too long, right? i would think if it was in a crash or something, it would be bent, causing it to be on the short side...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

What gets me is even the passenger side is almost all the way in. How the hell.

Quick Reply: Alignment off after putting on LS1 front brake swap.