LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alignment off after putting on LS1 front brake swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment off after putting on LS1 front brake swap.

Guy I picked the swap from said everything was straight on the car it came off of. He also stated these spindles won't bend... they only break. It was aligned perfect with my LT1 stuff but they cant get the wheel straight with the LS1 stuff. Leads me to believe the LS1 stuff is bent or something is off. Anyone else have this problem before?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely the parts are perfectly fine. The spindles are most likely at different angles than the lt1's, and seeing as how it is directly connected to the tie rods (the part of the suspension that is used to adjust toe in alignments), I wouldn't be surprised if the alignment is way off. Camber should be off as well.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

the spindles won't bend, however the tie rods can bend. If they are good then they prob just need adjustment (you back the nut out or in on the end of them to adjust toe).
Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

If the alignment was fine before hand, then the tie rods should be perfectly fine. He may just want to have a shop check it out, or maybe a friend that works at a dealership or something. Because if the spindles offset his camber alot, he will be replacing his tires soon.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the LS1 spindles won't match up EXACTLY to the LT1's. it's a completely different spindle. and as far as you wheel not being straight, who are "they" that can't do it?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just did the LS1 swap 2 weeks ago, before the swap my car pulled ever so slightly to the right, after the swap it pulled way left got it aligned and all is good straight as an arrow!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

There are three measurements that affect alignment. Toe, caster, and camber. All can have an affect on whether your car goes straight or not. Toe (how far the tires turn in towards the center of the car) can be adjusted at the tie rod ends and are the most common culprits of a poor alignment. Camber (how far the tires lean in towards the center of the car) is usually adjusted at the control arm or panhard/track rod. If this is off the inside of your tires will wear down faster than the outside and can cause traction issues (usually in lowered cars). Caster (how far the top of the struts lean towards the you when you are in the driver seat) is usually adjusted at the top of the shocks. This is thought to not have any effect on a side to side pull, but if one side differs too much from the other it can cause a pull just as much as toe will. Although you can do what my friend called "sunshine alignments," which is pretty much where you look at the car and judge yourself how straight the wheels look, to be ACCURATE you really need to use an alignment machine. If you don't have a friend that works at a shop then just spend the cash and be happy when the car goes straight. : )
Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

They that can't do it is the alignment shop. They have the driver side tie rod all the way in the and steering wheel needed just a hair more adjustment to be straight. Tie rods seemed fine with my LT1 spindles and didn't have any real issues. I have it adjusted as close as they could get it. My front wheels are still not within spec for caster/camber. They are REALLY close but not perfect. The LS1 brakes look great but I'm going to have to switch back if they can't align my car at the shop.

sdm1234 did you have to get your alignment done after your swap?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Are they actually using a machine or just eyeballin it?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z
sdm1234 did you have to get your alignment done after your swap?
yes, i had to get them realigned afterwards. the wheel was cocked over just a hair after the swap. that's really strange how the shop can't get the alignment right... there isn't THAT much difference in the geometry.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Did you tell them that you are using spindles from an ls1 car? Each car is aligned using a set program that incorporates vehicle usage including speed intended and passenger weight. At my dealership, we have all the new impalas that the cops are using coming in with under 7k miles on them and tires worn down severely on the inner walls of the back tires. This is due to the fact that there is usually only a driver in the vehicle and the impalas are intended to be used as family cars with rear passengers. Sooo... like you said, the geometry isnt that much different, but the degree specs of those measurements may differ from the ls1 and lt1.

Now if they are using a machine with the program for the ls1 and you can still actually see the tire cocked off to the side, then either their computer is broken or your car/the parts car was in an accident.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

They are using the big machine with the cameras and red LEDs.

Maybe the shop sucks?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Also take into account the fact that the ls1 engine is lighter than the lt1. So just like the impalas, the computer tells them to set it to a certain measurement, and although the numbers are correct, it doesn't mean that the wheels are actually straight.

You don't just put it on there and the screen says "adjust here and the wheels will be straight," its all about vehicle specific measurements.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

I'll go back and see if the specs they are using for my car are different than the ones that I should be using.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Did they print out a paper that showed the bar graphs of all the measurements?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well thanks to a lying SOB on this board this car was in a wreck. I purchased it and it was a booger to get it aligned originally but they got it all in the green on the machine. Of course this was a different shop.

Perhaps I should replace the lower control arms on both sides. I already have tubular upper a arms.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Ya I have the paper... I'll run out and grab it from the car.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

If you can scan it and post it up i can tell you how it looks.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Scratch that... they must have kept the paper.

Is it possible that the steering shaft is off by a full turn? The tie rod is all the way in on one side and more than halfway out on the other.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

lol... nope. If that was the case, the first time you turned the wheel from lock to lock the air bag would sucker punch the **** out of you.

Thing is, even if they pull out the paper and all the little numbers look close and all the little bars are in the middle, and everything is nice and GREEN The fact is with all the different variables of the spindles, different weight of the motor, and possibility of the wrong program being used it may still be off whether or not the computer says it is.

Quick Reply: Alignment off after putting on LS1 front brake swap.