LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Home Ported Intake Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Ported Intake Pictures

Heres some pictures for you guys to crituqe my port work. Had to patch the intake above the injector's so I could take the ski slope out of the port roof. I used Belzona super metal epoxy on the intake, very good for recreating port roofs. These were port matched to my heads that I did about 3-4 years ago, figured its free horsepower. I did NOT knife edge the divider in between the two ports only tapered as to not run into turbulance. Also dug as much meat behind the Throttle body as I could reach, raising the plenum roof as much as possible. Last step was taking a sandblaster inside the plenum and each port as to give it a smooth cast like texture. This is the first car intake I have done, all my experience is from porting two-strokes and thumper atv's for the past 12 years. I will post up my head pics as soon as I dig them off my external drive.
Josh

Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks awesome, dont think ive ever seen pics of one being ported - cool
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

More pics of my finished intake project all painted and sitting pretty. Also some more shots of where I used Belzona and on the left side is how it looks sanded. Now I need to get my throttle body nice looking again, that will be todays project.

Sitting all pretty.

With AS&M bored and ported 52mm (needs redone today ASAP)

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

looking good, what kind of paint are you using?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

High Gloss engine enamal from the parts store, pics do not do it justice. I used so sandpaper catridge rolls on the fins on top to get the cast down smooth. Then went over them in a circular motion to give them a nice finish, used pin stripping to mask it and bolts to plug injectors. Came out pretty decent, used to be clear coated with red fins.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks good! i have used that paint a few times and dont get anything near it like tools and ect cause it will chip very easy......
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I wanted to just re-clear coat it but I painted it to hide the belzona metal epoxy. When I raised the roof/ski slope I had to use it to patch and thicken up where I broke through. I was damned if I wasnt going to straighten that port roof out, I figured I would need to back weld or use my Belzona on it.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone dyno tested a good ported LT1 intake before?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I will not be able to tell you what I gained by doing this since Im changing out rockers to 1.6's and going to LS1 air intake tract so it will be much different. I would like to maybe port intakes on the side if it turns out ok, just do not have any way to test at this point it time. I think the major restrictions stock are the ski slope where the injectors come through and the plenum size could be increased. Also the ports cross section is very uneven as casted and most of my time was used in making that uniformed. Like an extension of my original head ports I did years ago. I just bore guaged the cross section of my head port and opened the stock intake port to that as to not hog the port out. Then consentrated on keeping the same size from plenum opening to intake port on heads.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Here is the link to the Belzona metal epoxy. Very good product worth every penny, used to rebuild the ports on 35,000-45,000 rpm Nitro RC Car motors. It never let loose in those high strung motors and also used it in many 125cc/250cc/tons of banshees jugs. Mainly to cut and reshape or reform turbulance causing parts inside the port castings.

http://www.belzona.com/enc.aspx

Quick Reply: Home Ported Intake Pictures