Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whay Would U Want Vented?? As Oposed To Non Vented?? Jus Curious
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITEBOY_ZACH
Whay Would U Want Vented?? As Oposed To Non Vented?? Jus Curious
The factory thought it was important enough, so the '96 and later cars came from the factory vented. It just keeps the unit dry by using ported engine vacuum. Less moisture in the distributor insures less corrosion and arcing inside the unit.

As a side note, when I put a fresh cap and rotor on my '96 Z-28 5-6 years ago, even though it had rubber seals integral to the unit, I added some RTV for good measure. So far, no problems, however I know that caps and rotors don't last forever, so I'm changing it again soon....and it will be sealed up with RTV again.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The factory thought it was important enough, so the '96 and later cars came from the factory vented. It just keeps the unit dry by using ported engine vacuum. Less moisture in the distributor insures less corrosion and arcing inside the unit.

As a side note, when I put a fresh cap and rotor on my '96 Z-28 5-6 years ago, even though it had rubber seals integral to the unit, I added some RTV for good measure. So far, no problems, however I know that caps and rotors don't last forever, so I'm changing it again soon....and it will be sealed up with RTV again.
95 and later came vented...
Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

From the optis that have failed me and research done on other failures, aswell as fixes, the most common failures I have seen/read is plastic rivets on rotor crapping out and taking the cap with it, corrosion on cap/rotor and corrosion in the optical sensor connector (to opti harness).
So if your going to take it apart, might aswell address all the items.
-replace rotor rivets with aluminum rivets
-RTV
-new opti harness
don't know how to prevent corrosion there
- I sprayed (battery post protectant) the rotor/silver post in cap, prongs in optical sensor
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
WTF You Know? J/K LOL

Whats up
I know I spent five hundred f*cking dollars on a Dynaspark and it's still working. I'd be pissed if it wasn't! Though now they're more expensive than that even.

I know of camshaft dowel pins that have killed optis as well. Gotta check your dowel length.

Ellis, wish I'd a gone to the LTx shootout. Next time I'm gonna try to make it. We'll have to kill a bottle 'o something.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I know I spent five hundred f*cking dollars on a Dynaspark and it's still working. I'd be pissed if it wasn't! Though now they're more expensive than that even.

I know of camshaft dowel pins that have killed optis as well. Gotta check your dowel length.

Ellis, wish I'd a gone to the LTx shootout. Next time I'm gonna try to make it. We'll have to kill a bottle 'o something.
LOL Would have been good to see you!

I have seen dowel pin, cam sprockets and mainly cam bolts kill them dead in less them 100 miles
Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 AM
12 Second Club

All I can think about now is holy crap when is it going to fail..... Damit there has to be a better solution... what about those coil pack converions do those take car of the problem? Is this really something I should be worried about constantly....
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
All I can think about now is holy crap when is it going to fail..... Damit there has to be a better solution... what about those coil pack converions do those take car of the problem? Is this really something I should be worried about constantly....
That's the Dyna Spark he was talking about. Or so I assume. They do make Optis, but ugh.

I'm worried about mine too. I don't have any clue if it was ever replaced, and being the second year with them being out (92 Vettes had LT1) I'm kinda worried lol 96,500miles on it (I assume), so it's nail bitting. I'll be knocking on wood now if you'll excuse me
Old 05-01-2008, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has 300k on the opti... it still works and just started acting odd.

-Rick
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cross

I wouldn't worry about it, but when the opti goes, just be sure to fix it right, so you don't have to do it again any time soon! The tips in this thread will help keep it waterproof-(ish). Just make sure to keep it dry during thermsotat swaps, etc...

Quick Reply: Waterproofing an Opti