LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Waterproofing an Opti

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproofing an Opti

I'm in the midst of my second Opti-swap in as many years, and I gotta say, I HATE doing this job. I'd be happy if I never had to replace another opti for the rest of my life!

I'm thinking (since the opti gets a coolant bath every warm day) I need to waterproof this thing... Fresh air tubes or not, these things get wet, and fail. I'm thinking of just running a bead of liquid gasket around the opti where the cap meets the core. Essentially trying to make it as waterproof as possible.

Anyone had success doing this before? any tips or suggestions for prolonging the life of these failure-prone distributors?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why does it get wet everyday??? Mine never gets wet.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

I used black rtv and sealed the cap to the base when i did mine like 6 months ago and havent had any problems yet. dont know if it actually will help though...
Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does it get a coolant bath on warm days? You have problem with overheating?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Launching!

I was exaggerating when I said it gets a coolant bath every warm day, but nevertheless, it does get wet occasionally. Not sopping wet or anything, but on hot days it seems as though I can't avoid running hot, and having some coolant escape.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Launching!

I used the MSD distributor and it had an o-ring in it to seal the cap to the body, seemed to work extremely well.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

I rebuilt my opti with black RTV to seal the outer and inner caps to the core, as well as a light bead around the rubber seal in base of the rotor where the shaft sits. Also converted it to a vented style. Since then, I have washed my motor plenty of times and driven in pouring rain too, without any problems at all. I'd the dang thing is pretty much water proof now
Old 04-29-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i also put some of the blue rtv gasket sealer on the backside of my distributor when i reinstalled it... didn't have the best of luck getting it to run because its out of timing, but i do know that it made a great seal because we let it dry and then pulled it off and it was basically glued to the front of the motor... and if im not mistaken, in the msd cap and rotor install guide deal that came with my cap and rotor, i think it says to run a bead of gasket sealer on the backside... dont quote me on that, but i know i read it somewhere
Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
I was exaggerating when I said it gets a coolant bath every warm day, but nevertheless, it does get wet occasionally. Not sopping wet or anything, but on hot days it seems as though I can't avoid running hot, and having some coolant escape.
It should not get wet with coolant at all. You must have a leak somewhere in the cooling system, if you fix your cooling problem the opti will never get wet. It is not normal for the opti to be getting wet with coolant even occasionally. Putting sealant on the opti is not fixing the problem you have with your engine running hot.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend did that too, but he hasn't had time to complete his Vette due to working on so many customer cars. If I ever have to do a cap, I might manually convert it to vented, instead of having to buy an MSD cap or do the full conversion. If that's a bad idea, I'll at least seal it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
It should not get wet with coolant at all. You must have a leak somewhere in the cooling system, if you fix your cooling problem the opti will never get wet. It is not normal for the opti to be getting wet with coolant even occasionally. Putting sealant on the opti is not fixing the problem you have with your engine running hot.
Since I've got it all apart, I'm just going to make sure that I silicone the s**t out of the coolant inlet/outlets to keep things dry. I don't think the water pump was leaking too bad, but enough to cause a problem, obviously...
Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

While it's out, tap out the weep hole on the water pump, and then put in a small barbed fitting, (1/8" MIGHT fit, but might be too big so you'd have to drill a bigger hole) and then run some rubber hose off it to divert it when/if the bearing/seal goes.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
Since I've got it all apart, I'm just going to make sure that I silicone the s**t out of the coolant inlet/outlets to keep things dry. I don't think the water pump was leaking too bad, but enough to cause a problem, obviously...
Then waterproofing your opti is not the problem you should be addressing.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

The weep hole on the waterpump is there for a purpose. If you notice coolant dripping there consistently, it's time for new waterpump. No coolant should be leaking anywhere regardless, even on hot days.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Teching In

do any of you guys that've recently replaced your Opti have pics / links to your RTV artwork?...getting ready to have a go at it by myself for the first time & would love as much longevity out of it as much as anyone...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

My early production run Dynaspark was completely sealed with RTV (I bought it something like 5 years ago). Still working fine. If I were putting an opti together today, I'd seal it with RTV.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
My early production run Dynaspark was completely sealed with RTV (I bought it something like 5 years ago). Still working fine. If I were putting an opti together today, I'd seal it with RTV.

WTF You Know? J/K LOL

Whats up

I have sealed them not sealed them, tryied this and that, threw them across the yard,
Old 04-30-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

I tapped the weep hole in the WP and ran a small tube from the WP down away from the opti, so should it fail the coolant will run onto the ground not the opti.

Years back (around 95) I purchased a kit from a company called MidAmerica (specialize in Vettes) make a vent kit for the opti, it was basically a T-fitting, and vacuum line, and a small tube of RTV to seal the bottom of the opti then pull any moisture out. If you look at the none vented optis there are 3 holes in the bottom that can allow water/moister in so you need to address them as well.

JB
Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pampered-Z
If you look at the none vented optis there are 3 holes in the bottom that can allow water/moister in so you need to address them as well.
Which would explain the reason our optis flake out in the rain
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
Which would explain the reason our optis flake out in the rain
Or UNDERCARRIAGE CARWASH!

Quick Reply: Waterproofing an Opti