LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

thinking about getting the tailpipes tucked. opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking about getting the tailpipes tucked. opinions please

ok so the more i look at my car the more im getting tired of the exhaust tips. they are 3.5" rolled edge with a small slant to them. i cant clean them cause they get dirty again in 2 days since i dont have cats. so i was thinking about getting the tailpipes cut short and tucked up so you cant see them from behind. and maybe paint the muffler black or leave it. idk. what do you guys think. again the more i keep looking at my friends z and his dads car with the mufflex the more i like the no tips look. so tell me what yall think
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a catback with a crossflow muffler out on the open then i would leave the tips. if you had true duals, i like the look of no tips. that is what i have, but i dont think it would look right with the muffler sitting sideways.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the way the mufflex looks. i would probably paint the muffler and all black to blend it in. it only hangs down like an inch below the gas tank
Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to give you somewhat of an idea with a visable muffler would look like with no tips..(mine are tucked up and in behind the bumper) could still be seen from a lower angle..

Nevermind the plate saying, it was a fun smack talk thing on another forum
Old 05-01-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
just to give you somewhat of an idea with a visable muffler would look like with no tips..(mine are tucked up and in behind the bumper) could still be seen from a lower angle..

Nevermind the plate saying, it was a fun smack talk thing on another forum
i like it. do you have any side back shots? i will probably paint it high temp black. i cant even tell where the one is on the passenger side.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I like the idea and have been considering it myself because Im just sick of my tailpipes or any for that matter.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Launching!

I have something similar although not a Z, I have polished Magnaflow and side exits. Kinda hard to tell but you can make out the tips. I just flat black spray bombed the end of the pipe.

I wanted the side exits to be different.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

^^^Metallica
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I like the idea and have been considering it myself because Im just sick of my tailpipes or any for that matter.
i know they get old after a while. when i had just my longtubes and ory before i got the rest of the exhaust done i started liking the no tips. dont know why i had them put back on. wouldve been easy then. now they would have to be cut and rewelded and fit.
Originally Posted by 954mula
I have something similar although not a Z, I have polished Magnaflow and side exits. Kinda hard to tell but you can make out the tips. I just flat black spray bombed the end of the pipe.

I wanted the side exits to be different.

yea thats different. i would prefer them to tuck higher than that though.
thanks for the pic
Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
^^^Metallica

Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else have suggestions?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always been a fan of the "sleeper" look. I had an '85 Firebird with the short, tucked turndowns, and I thought it looked cool in an understated way.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Launching!

I think it look stupid. I got a pair of Corsa clones in the back seat waiting to get welded on. But none of the good ol' boys down here at the muffler shops ain't never done heard of that there stainless steel. Sure is purty though.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaribooLou
I think it look stupid. I got a pair of Corsa clones in the back seat waiting to get welded on. But none of the good ol' boys down here at the muffler shops ain't never done heard of that there stainless steel. Sure is purty though.

On a T/A, with the big cutouts in the rear valence for the exhaust to pass through....YEAH, it looks a little stupid....YA' THINK??

However, the OP seems to have a Camaro, and the Camaro's rear bumper isn't cutout, so the tailpipes can tuck up nicely.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Camaros look way better without tailpipes. I can't wait to get mine off and tucked up.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
On a T/A, with the big cutouts in the rear valence for the exhaust to pass through....YEAH, it looks a little stupid....YA' THINK??

However, the OP seems to have a Camaro, and the Camaro's rear bumper isn't cutout, so the tailpipes can tuck up nicely.
i still like tailpipes
Old 05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
i like it. do you have any side back shots? i will probably paint it high temp black. i cant even tell where the one is on the passenger side.
Naa, that's the only one I have, I now have a Bullet dumped before the axle..the passanger side pipe kinda blended in with the tire in that shot.....if you were standing behind and to the side of it at the time all you would have seen was about 1/2" of the tips sticking down from the bumper if that, was just to keep exhuast off the inside of the bumper.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

I put a single outlet Magnaflow muffler with a turn down on my car. I too was tired of my shiny chrome tips being covered with soot. The muffler I got is smaller than the stocker (it's a 4" x 9" x 18") and tucks up nicely under the fuel tank and behind the panhard bar. I think it looks nice without tips, but then mine is a Formula so it doesn't have two openings in the bumper for tips like a TA. This was an easy cheap alternative to a catback exhaust and it sounds great. Here's a couple pics, I plan on getting better ones and a video clip at some point.
Attached Thumbnails thinking about getting the tailpipes tucked. opinions please-rear.jpg   thinking about getting the tailpipes tucked. opinions please-muffler.jpg  
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like no tips. makes everything look better i put a bullet on the y and dumped it.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my tips... but if you are going to remove your tail pipes... get a smooth bumper to go with it. having a bumper with exhaust cut out holes and nothing coming out looks gay to me

Quick Reply: thinking about getting the tailpipes tucked. opinions please