LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

switched to royal purple (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
If Mobil 1 blows, then why is it then that Mobil 1 is the only oil that is used from the FACTORY on ALL C4,C4ZR1,C5,C6,Z06,and the new ZR1 corvettes? Our fastest American sportscar!!!
Because Mobil pays Gm you idiot
Old 05-17-2008, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Because Mobil pays Gm you idiot

And do you think that Mobil would also pay the warrantee costs if engines were "goin' south" due to an oil related failure??
Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
And do you think that Mobil would also pay the warrantee costs if engines were "goin' south" due to an oil related failure??
When was the last time you've heard of a massive auto recall because of
the engine oil choice made by the auto manufacturer? Any top grade dino
oil or synthetic will pass muster for any new vehicle and its warranty.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caldercay
When was the last time you've heard of a massive auto recall because of
the engine oil choice made by the auto manufacturer? Any top grade dino
oil or synthetic will pass muster for any new vehicle and its warranty.
rofl...no **** huh..lol
Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Go royal purple 5w30 u wont regret it mobil 1 is low rent
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

No thanks I'll stick to my German Castrol ^
Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Launching!

yea good call
Old 05-17-2008, 03:30 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I've heard, UOA's of Royal Purple indicate that it shears down quite a bit, and is therefore better suited for racing than daily driving. I don't have any personal experience with the oil. There seems to be quite a bit of evidence indicating the German Castrol may be the best oil available for the LT1. I doubt you'll have issues with any quality oil, including Mobil 1.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

heres another update:

well about 4 days into running the oil, i developed leaks from my drain plug, rear and front oil pan seals. well actually they were weeping very very little before (not enough to drip) but i noticed nice spots on the floor, about 5 of them. i checked today and sure enough they were wet like a 14yr old girl looking at brad pitt. so i drained the oil out and it came out like water.

i had also noticed my oil pressure fluctuating on idle since i found the leaks and thought it was because of the sending unit. i ran to autozone and grabbed M1 10-30 and threw it in, and so far so good. i checked my PCV valve and it rattles, and my valve cover breather is clean on the passenger side. so apparently after driving during the day the engine would **** a little out releasing pressure or something. also, my oil pan gasket bolts were almost soaking and dripping onto the starter. so i guess my engine prefers M1 and told me the hard way
Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meh, it sounds like you already had these problems but a more "slick" oil just opened them up.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

on my old 98 trans am i used mobil 1 but decided to try royal purple one time and ended up having a lifter collaps or just make a ton of noise on me. I changed back to moobil one and never had it make noise on me again.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Meh, it sounds like you already had these problems but a more "slick" oil just opened them up.
i didnt think RP would more slick than M1.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

I run RP on my SS. Won't run anything else. Good stuff.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

LOL, my friend showed me this years ago, and after reading some of these replies, I had to find it. So after searching google for 2 hours for one of the phrases I couldn't quite remember, here ya go.

I know it's about bikes, but IT IS FUNNY. I love the socket comment.

I know that some of you may be considering the use of synthetic oil in your bikes.

But you should beware of synthetic oil!

It can do terrible things to you and your bike. It will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically, dropping your bike on the ground! But that's not all... Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. It will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and she'll never ride with you again. Synthetic oil coats your sight window and your timing window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak out onto the ground overnight and your dog will drink it and die.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam your zippers shut. It will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. It will make it rain during rallies and on weekends. It will lubricate four timing belts causing them to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every six miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots at night before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp, and then it voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555. It also dries out your wetclutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your faceshield and make your gloves shrink two sizes night before trackday. Synthetic oil will steal your neutral and sell it to the Chinese for $1.25.

So let's be careful out there!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's good.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

royal purple is all i run. in all my vehicles! fwiw...
Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that is good. By the way I have run Mobile One and currently running Royal Purple in the motor with no problems at all. I have Mobile one in the transmission and the read end. Again no problems at all.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, but you guys have a hell of alot less than 156k on your seals

so far so good with the M1 again.

i need to do my pan gasket anyways
Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

psssh, all my seals are gone anyway. That's why my car's been apart for 2 years, along with needing money, going to college, modding, and buying a pimp DD.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Sorry to open up an old *** thread but i just bought some RP today at Oreillys, it was $9 a quart and i got the K&N oil filter which was $13 and the reason i did this is because my engine is starting to make alot of noise and seems to be burning a quart every 1500 miles of the Valvoline Synpower im running, i would be really worried but my car doesnt smoke at all and has no leaks whatsoever and still runs very good, anybody have any suggestions or anything. oh and i do have a bit of a lead foot around town so that could be some of it.

Quick Reply: switched to royal purple (a little long)