LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tony Shepherd goes TURBO!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAH you scared me for a second there.

nice buy though. the 1.8T's get pretty dam good gas milage. I only fill up my '02 Audi A4 1.8T like once a week and I sit in bumer to bumer traffic every day to and from work. Theres only one downside to VW/Audi's, almost all the fluids in them are VW/Audi specific fluids. But as long as you don't skip the regular maintenance they can last a long time.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will take a while to make up for the extra $2,500 you just spent though...... gotta keep that into concideration when justifying getting a whole new car to save gas...... in the long run if yout keep it it will end up saving you though
Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

I completely understand that purchase Tony since i'm the proud owner of a 1995 Neon... came with a paper bag that I wear over my head when i drive it...... But I get the last laugh at the pumps that's for sure...

as far as you going FI, are you going to just hand me the nitrous LT1 world record???? I thought we were going to fight for it...

I'm goin to the track on may 30th. motor only shakedown passes..... but if she goes low 10's on motor i'll have a good guess what she'll run on spray. provided she don't hit the wall or flip over from lack of wheelie bars...
Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebeast
it will take a while to make up for the extra $2,500 you just spent though...... gotta keep that into concideration when justifying getting a whole new car to save gas...... in the long run if yout keep it it will end up saving you though
Savings of $300 per month in fuel compared to my truck. 8 months and it pays for itself. After that it is pure savings. Also keeps the miles off my truck.

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
I completely understand that purchase Tony since i'm the proud owner of a 1995 Neon... came with a paper bag that I wear over my head when i drive it...... But I get the last laugh at the pumps that's for sure...

as far as you going FI, are you going to just hand me the nitrous LT1 world record???? I thought we were going to fight for it...

I'm goin to the track on may 30th. motor only shakedown passes..... but if she goes low 10's on motor i'll have a good guess what she'll run on spray. provided she don't hit the wall or flip over from lack of wheelie bars...
I am still going after the nitrous record. I will not go forced induction for another year or two.

LOL at the Neon!

Keep me posted on the trip to the track.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Really? I researched good reviews on the car and called a buddy at a VW dealership. Said it is a good car but just make sure and change the oil every 3000 miles because they are prone to engine failure with over-run oil.
Maybe its more the jettas than passats. Friend bought a brand new jetta wr6 vr6? Idk, but he had nothing but problems when he first bought it. Clutch took a dump on him, then when the dealership fixed it, the flywheel bolts backed out and took out the rest of the transmission. Oh don't try doing an oil change, I dreaded doing them when I worked at an oil change place.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

I am still going after the nitrous record. I will not go forced induction for another year or two.

LOL at the Neon!

Keep me posted on the trip to the track
Oh you know i will.... I had to postpone the final dyno cuz we had a rod bolt tapping on the crank scraper in the pan. but it's fixed now.... and teh BMR Xtreme swaybar is welded onto the car as well...
Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Savings of $300 per month in fuel compared to my truck. 8 months and it pays for itself. After that it is pure savings. Also keeps the miles off my truck.

LOL at the Neon!

Keep me posted on the trip to the track.

yep but then you still have to pay for insurance and gas for the passat..... of course all of this you know.... i just brought it up cause alot of guys dont figure in all the costs that go into buying a whole new car to save gas and i wanted them to read what i said before concidering it...... by the way im just chatting on the subject in gereral not exactly in your personal situation..... jake
Old 05-21-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Hey Tony, I know this guy named Moe, he just gushes over ATI superchargers... Might want to talk to him.

oh and ATI
Old 05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
8 Second Club

yep but then you still have to pay for insurance and gas for the passat..... of course all of this you know.... i just brought it up cause alot of guys dont figure in all the costs that go into buying a whole new car to save gas and i wanted them to read what i said before concidering it...... by the way im just chatting on the subject in gereral not exactly in your personal situation..... jake
Insurance: $18 per month on the Passat
Gas on the Passat: at least 1/2 the amount of what I am spending right now on the truck which is $650 a month. Truck gets 13-14 mpg..Passat gets around 30 mpg.

I did not just jump the gun and purchase it. I weighed the cost and looked at used cars for weeks before I found this one.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try the Duramax with the Allison trans and a programmer/exhaust/intake...I never thought my truck could smoke 33" tires so easily. Just insane.
Couldn't agree more and it does so on bio diesel too

I just read and I mean just read before I logged on here and saw the senate committee hearings with the Big Oil execs and they are saying their record profits are needed to sustain the drought they are going to face. Analysts are now saying 6 a gallon is very close and it could get as high as 10 a gallon with even one named storm in the gulf. Its getting ridiculous and I too have a commute from the country to the city everyday and it is costing about 120/week for gas alone @ 26 mpg! Good pickup on that car you will like it and I couldn't agree more on the oil situation. My dad changes his every 2200 miles.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Werd, I am with you on the beater...that is why I'm selling the T/A, can't make it make sense right now.

WS6 = '89 'yota beater truck + '05 hayabusa

P
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM
hashtagBMW

94' Dodge intrepid for the win. You all lose
Old 05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

04 Ford Turbo Desiel 350 work van + Gas Card = FREE I filled up today 28 gallons at 4.499999999 a gallon!
Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

An interesting article indeed:

Here's a simple, compelling argument we read in Wired that shows a used
car may be a more ecologically sound choice than a new Prius:

Energy It Takes To Build Prius
113,000 BTUs

113,000 BTUs In Gasoline
1,000 gallons

Distance Driven to Break Even For Build Cost
46,000 miles

Time Needed For Average Driver to Hit 46,000 Miles
Over 3 Years

Compared to . . .

Distance Driven to Break Even with 1998 Toyota Tercel*
100,000 miles

Time Needed For Average Driver to Hit 100,000 Miles
Over 7 Years

* or any car that gets 27 mpg city / 35 mpg highway
** distance/year ratios built on 13,500-mile yearly average [Wired]

Go Green -- Buy a Used Car. It's Better Than a Hybrid
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/the-ultimate-pr.html
Old 05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by halucinator
Maybe its more the jettas than passats. Friend bought a brand new jetta wr6 vr6? Idk, but he had nothing but problems when he first bought it. Clutch took a dump on him, then when the dealership fixed it, the flywheel bolts backed out and took out the rest of the transmission. Oh don't try doing an oil change, I dreaded doing them when I worked at an oil change place.
My freind beat the ever living hell out of his 2003 5speed, jetta 1.8T with some bolton

After tons of burnouts and clutch dumps, it needed a new clutch and that was it

My other freind blew his trans spraying a 100shot, with a bunch of boltons...Motor held find though!

Lol they both drove it like they stole it and raced them all the time at the track

There great cars, nothing wrong with them

Also kind of classy for a smaller car
Old 05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude your talking like a truck or muscle car guy and trying to make up a good reason not to drive a smaller, more feul effient car or import for that matter
Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by caldercay
An interesting article indeed:

Here's a simple, compelling argument we read in Wired that shows a used
car may be a more ecologically sound choice than a new Prius:

Energy It Takes To Build Prius
113,000 BTUs

113,000 BTUs In Gasoline
1,000 gallons

Distance Driven to Break Even For Build Cost
46,000 miles

Time Needed For Average Driver to Hit 46,000 Miles
Over 3 Years

Compared to . . .

Distance Driven to Break Even with 1998 Toyota Tercel*
100,000 miles

Time Needed For Average Driver to Hit 100,000 Miles
Over 7 Years

* or any car that gets 27 mpg city / 35 mpg highway
** distance/year ratios built on 13,500-mile yearly average [Wired]

Go Green -- Buy a Used Car. It's Better Than a Hybrid
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/the-ultimate-pr.html
That makes sense.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

nice find! VW's are pretty decent cars. I have had lots of friends that owned them and loved em.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a bad buy, I wouldnt mind some thing that got 30MPG.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Check This out....Now go and put a Turbo on this

Smart Pricing is Here: Mini Car Under $12,000

Smart42500

The tiny car that’s one of the most popular ongoing topics on this blog finally has a price tag: When the Smart ForTwo goes on sale in early 2008 it will start at $11,590 for the base or “pure coupe” — all lower case names here because little letters relate to little cars, we guess. Those come with an automatic transmission but no A/C. For unnaturally cooled air while driving you need to move up to the “passion coupe” for $13,590. For that price you also get power windows, electric heated side mirrors, a CD player, a panoramic roof and alloy wheels. A convertible “passion cabrio” is available for $16,590. Leather heated seats are part of an $850 option package.

All three models feature a miniscule three-cylinder engine with a scant 71 horsepower. There are still no confirmed Smart dealers in the U.S., but the company says to expect that list sometime this fall. The company is taking deposits, however, via its website.

Related

Quick Reply: Tony Shepherd goes TURBO!