LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possible new Intake manifold for LTX

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And why do think all the guys that own TPI motors ditch their long runner intakes in favor of a Steath Ram, LT1 intake, of Single plane conversion?
Because the TPI's runners were around 24inches long, and they had a hard time making hp even in the lower rpm ranges. There is a nice medium between runner length and plenum volume. I think intakes with runner length in the 6-8inch range work well in our cars. Gives a better TQ curve and still makes as much hp as the small runner intakes.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Because the TPI's runners were around 24inches long, and they had a hard time making hp even in the lower rpm ranges. There is a nice medium between runner length and plenum volume. I think intakes with runner length in the 6-8inch range work well in our cars. Gives a better TQ curve and still makes as much hp as the small runner intakes.
I agree, 6-8" is more ideal than a stock LT1's 3" for both horsepower and torque.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

From my understanding the designer of the LTx motor wanted a longer runner intake manifold but for some reason Gm didn't correspond and gave us the intake we all love so much.
Just looking at one variable of intake design (runner length) The LSX intake manifolds are around 7-8inches, the stealth ram is 6inchs, most single planes are around 6inchs. Judging by all the graphs I have seen, these intakes really dominate over intakes with smaller or larger runners. Then again things like plenum volume, cross section, etc come into play as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Ive considered switching to 1gen motor and using the stealth ram to keep FI. http://www.stealthram.com/phpBB3/ind...be7124a5241536
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula350
Uhh... I race under 4000 all the damn time. From a dead stop, how do you think you get going and up to the RPMs where HP takes over? TORQUE!
Hahahah is call stall converter...when it flashes 3500-4500 rpms ......your car must be a stocker slow car....what do you think guys race by going from 1000-2000-3000-then to 4000+ rpm down the track or street?....NO, that would be SLOOOWWW ......they put the car in the beginning of the power band and take off hard......you must be retarded.... I guess I must be dealing with fast cars and your not used to that.....

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 06-06-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tapout911
I can take pics of all my plugs, they are identical after a pass. The cylinders can be tuned individually, Thanks Ed Wright for getting mine where they are. This may change with the n2o.
Mine is the same way... all plugs look identical, stock PCM, stock UNPORTED LT4 intake, stock 48mm TB, and 15 psi of boost!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't goto the track, so yes my car is slow in comparison to you who dump money into yours. So torque matters to me. I also cant imagine that even with a stall that torque plays no roll in getting you out of the hole.

I also don't read any car magazines, so I'm sorry to disappoint.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to argue the point but TQ is what putts the nose of my car in the air....HP is what carries it

I am POSITIVE the 600+ TQ over 4,000 is helping some
Old 06-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

The HSR is sounding pretty good for when I get my car back together. What does it cost to have the bolt pattern changed?

and torque is pretty damn important at all rpms, to state the obvious that's why we get the jump on most imports even in a roll race
Old 06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Its around 200 for the bolt pattern. You also have to cut the wiper cowl and theres no way its fitting under the stock hood. I dont have wipers anymore, so rainx is your friend. It also use aftermarket fuel rails, so I run braided from under the car to the rails.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't goto the track, so yes my car is slow in comparison to you who dump money into yours. So torque matters to me. I also cant imagine that even with a stall that torque plays no roll in getting you out of the hole.

I also don't read any car magazines, so I'm sorry to disappoint.
Arent you the guy who fought tooth and nail that "ram air" is bogus?

Or am I mistaken?

David
Old 06-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Depending on the position of the ram air induction it can be bogus.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Depending on the position of the ram air induction it can be bogus.
Just seems funny that he said ram air did not work, he doesnt go to the track, he doesnt read car magazines..............so he debates technical subjects?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

David, what was the specs on that Wilson manifold you and your dad had built?? Sad that was never used on a motor.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Just seems funny that he said ram air did not work, he doesnt go to the track, he doesnt read car magazines..............so he debates technical subjects?
No that wasn't me, and Ram Air IS fairly useless until you're going over 70. Until then, a proper CAI will give you the same results. If you really want to get technical about it, for Ram Air to work in all meaning of the term you have to be going Mach 3. On the flip side, that's a Ram Jet which doesn't use turbines or ignition source (like spark plugs), but just Ram the Air into the front of them and a conical piece in the intake compresses it to the point of combustion. Moving along...

And just because I don't goto the track, nor read car magazines (they're biased anyways) doesn't mean I don't know stuff. I've been working on cars for around 8 years now. Not always huge tasks, but they were always a learning experience. I also read a ton of stuff else where, technical documents and user experiences. So to say what you said, is completely ignorant.

With that said, horse power is actually the bi product of torque. The formula is thus: HP = TQ x RPM / 5252

/ as in fraction, not divide.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by T/A KID
David, what was the specs on that Wilson manifold you and your dad had built?? Sad that was never used on a motor.
KID, My Dad And I had a HUGE falling out...some know this. I was banned from CZ28.com for calling him out on his habitual lieing.

The intake was supposedly sold. So it may get used I dont know.

It was a GM 350 Ramjet crate engine intake that was sent to Wilson and had the top cut off and a new top put on for a Monoblade, it was also cut down to fit under the cowl.

The whole situation was really sad.

David
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

No that wasn't me, and Ram Air IS fairly useless until you're going over 70. Until then, a proper CAI will give you the same results. If you really want to get technical about it, for Ram Air to work in all meaning of the term you have to be going Mach 3. On the flip side, that's a Ram Jet which doesn't use turbines or ignition source (like spark plugs), but just Ram the Air into the front of them and a conical piece in the intake compresses it to the point of combustion. Moving along...

And just because I don't goto the track, nor read car magazines (they're biased anyways) doesn't mean I don't know stuff. I've been working on cars for around 8 years now. Not always huge tasks, but they were always a learning experience. I also read a ton of stuff else where, technical documents and user experiences. So to say what you said, is completely ignorant.

With that said, horse power is actually the bi product of torque. The formula is thus: HP = TQ x RPM / 5252

/ as in fraction, not divide.

I respectfully disagree, but will not go into it here in this post.

Guys on this board have done a few VERY good tests here as of late to prove Ram Air works.

And yes you were in one of the posts where the discussion was on Ram Air, you said it didnt work.

And BTW working on cars for 8 years means nothing, I know guys that have done it for 25 years and dont know crap about Hot Rodding, testing theories or racing. All they know how to do is work in the dealership environment.

WHen I took my car to the Chevy dealer where I write service, the majority of the techs were dumbfounded that I was still on factory electronics, opti and that I drove the car 25 miles to work on pumpgas.

David
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I respectfully disagree, but will not go into it here in this post.

Guys on this board have done a few VERY good tests here as of late to prove Ram Air works.

And yes you were in one of the posts where the discussion was on Ram Air, you said it didnt work.

And BTW working on cars for 8 years means nothing, I know guys that have done it for 25 years and dont know crap about Hot Rodding, testing theories or racing. All they know how to do is work in the dealership environment.

WHen I took my car to the Chevy dealer where I write service, the majority of the techs were dumbfounded that I was still on factory electronics, opti and that I drove the car 25 miles to work on pumpgas.

David
OK I guess I should clarify. All those 8 years have been with a buddy who basically just does custom stuff. We tossed a 468 into an S-10, had to make fully custom headers since no one made BBC headers back then. Threw a 350 into a 94 Fox Body, didn't buy any kit to do it, so all custom work again. Did various things to his 70 Dart Swinger (340). Doing another SBC S-Blazer now, took my old rear end's discs and posi and put them in there and the 4.10s from a newer S-10 4banger heh We made adjustable LCA for my 91, which was a fun experience. More recently he's been actually doing repair work and I've been doing cars for him to help get them done since he's swamped.

As for CAI and Ram Air, the gain isn't much, so who cares? In all honesty, if I got a hood, I'd get the Ram Air, but until then I'll just stick with CAI.

I remember your falling out. I don't remember if you ever got to use that intake ever though?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tapout911
Its around 200 for the bolt pattern. You also have to cut the wiper cowl and theres no way its fitting under the stock hood. I dont have wipers anymore, so rainx is your friend. It also use aftermarket fuel rails, so I run braided from under the car to the rails.
i got a victor jr. e...and it fits under my stock camaro hood...and its got a nitrous daves elbow on it to........
Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Hey TaKid........who cares about torque and 4000rpm's.......do you think we drive tow trucks or something......and none of those intakes "except for the single plane" helps with air distribution. Which is the real problem with big hp lt1's......
who cares about torque? if you dont care about torque go drive a civic.

Quick Reply: Possible new Intake manifold for LTX