LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possible new Intake manifold for LTX

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Possible new Intake manifold for LTX

Guys I have owned a few different style LTX intake manifolds in my time; Fully ported GM LT4 intake, Bret Bauer Converted Super Vic, and now my current manifold a LE Edelbrock LT4 intake opened for a Monoblade, none at which I have ever tested. And on top of that one my best friends has a Holley Stealthram on top of his 383 Solid Roller LT1. However, each intake has its pros and cons.

The Gm LT4 intake and Edelbrock a VERY VERY similar in almost every attribute, Low plenum volume and around a 3-3.25 inch runner. The GM intakes are still pretty high and the Edelbrock is at 529.95 now. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
My GM LT4 Intake

Edelbrock LT4 Intake

The Single Plane conversions are nice, but from what I have seen either people aren’t getting the correct valve timing from the camshaft or some other variable is off but it seems the single plane only shines from AROUND 4,000 rpms and above. In fact I traded my Converted Supervic for the Gm LT4 and the guy lost 10lbs of Tq everywhere below around 5,000 rpms. He did pick up more hp, but at the price of a loss in tq.

The converted Holley Steathram is a really nice intake as well with its longer runners (6inchs) and a lot more plenum volume over a standard LTX intake. The down side is its very tall and your not getting it under a stock hood by any means. Price on this new is $599.95 and you still have to get it converted for the bolt pattern, etc.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Here is pics of my buddy's setup
http://www.lt1engine.com/?level=picture&id=306
http://www.lt1engine.com/?level=picture&id=305

These are just the intakes I have had or been up to personally, other intakes like sheetmetal intakes for LTx cars tend to have 6-7inch runners and make gobs of TQ (around 50RWTQ) in the 3,000+ rpm range. Another notable intake was the Ligenfelter LT1 Accel Superram with something around a 15-18inch runner I believe, made gobs of TQ but tended to run out of steam around 5500-6,000 rpms. It seems like a nice medium between runner length would equal a nice TQ curve and high rpm ability at the same time.
However, on a side not these intakes are only limited by there rpm level when head flow/design and camshaft specs are in the mix, so further rpm could be attained IMO.

I have posted this before, but this is always a great read on manifolds.
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Ar...?ID=1737510521

I only bring all of this up because I think we may have a new alternative out there, and hasn’t been out long to my knowledge. But Edelbrock just came out with this intake manifold called the Pro-Flo XT EFI Intake Manifold http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...xt_chevy.shtml

From my understanding the runners are around 8 inches long and compared to the LT1/4 manifolds there is more plenum volume as well, possibly comparable to the stealthram. Summit sells the intake for $415.95 http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku and you can mate the intake with a LSX TB and custom Fuel rails. The only thing that really needs to be done is a conversion of the bolt pattern. Hell the thermostat housing could even be shaved for a cleaner look.

From the looks of it, kinda of reminds me of the custom BRE Proram Bret Bauer did back in the day. The runner length looks really similiar, probably close to the same plenum volume as well. He used a holley Stealthram base from the looks. http://jody.dltechnologies.com/proram.htm

I really think this manifold has a lot of potential for LTX builds; I don’t want to take the plunge now since I have changed intakes too many times? Let’s discuss what you guys think?

Last edited by T/A KID; 06-02-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Proram sat in my garage for a few years, and I'm half tempted to buy it back. But you know how it goes. So many parts, so little time, and or money.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:02 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice collection of info!

The Edelbrock Pro-Flo looks interesting. How much taller is it than the stock LT1 intake?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Edelbrock Pro-Flo looks interesting. How much taller is it than the stock LT1 intake?
I am not really sure, Still trying to find more specs on it myself. Only judging by the apperance I believe it would work.

UPDATE: Manifold is 9.09 inches tall.

Last edited by T/A KID; 06-02-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

If someone has a stock manifold handy they can measure, but I would assume a stock manifold is around 5 inches tall. These say they are 9.09 in the front, probably because of the TB flange and 8.20 in the back. Would be way too high IMO, but you could shorten the runners by cutting out a section and welding back together. 8" runners are pretty long.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Edel looks like a nice rip off of GMs RamJet for the SBC "RamJet 350".
http://www.bork.ca/pics/cars/auto_sh...mJet%20350.jpg

I'd be interested how the RamJet pits up against that Edel, or even a stock LT1/4 intake.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

I just went out to my truck and without taking anything apart measured roughly 6 1/4 inches on a stock manifold.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be interested how the RamJet pits up against that Edel, or even a stock LT1/4 intake.
That would be a really interesting test, I'd say the ramjet and Edelbrock would make a lot more TQ in the lower rpms and make simliar hp up top compared to the LT1/4 intakes
Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

edelbrock shouldve invested that money into something more like FAST does with the 90/90 92/92 etc. and not something comparibly to stock like their LT1/4 manifolds which showed a gain on a bolton car of 5hp/ft-lbs for $550+ id want to see composite or plastic/ be able to port the sob with an exacto knife
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
edelbrock shouldve invested that money into something more like FAST does with the 90/90 92/92 etc. and not something comparibly to stock like their LT1/4 manifolds which showed a gain on a bolton car of 5hp/ft-lbs for $550+ id want to see composite or plastic/ be able to port the sob with an exacto knife
God I wish people would stop ******* quoting the 5hp/tq gain. Only ONE person dynoed, and they were on two different dynos, thus you can't compare them. Also, it was only tested ONCE with the Edel LTx intake, so there was no average to take. I'm not saying the Edel is going to somehow make 30 more power over the stocker, but quoting results that are incorrect is just dumb.

Wonder if Chev sells just the RamJet intake w/o all the electronics.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey TaKid........who cares about torque and 4000rpm's.......do you think we drive tow trucks or something......and none of those intakes "except for the single plane" helps with air distribution. Which is the real problem with big hp lt1's......
Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

heh Who cares about torque. Everyone does.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula350
God I wish people would stop ******* quoting the 5hp/tq gain. Only ONE person dynoed, and they were on two different dynos, thus you can't compare them. Also, it was only tested ONCE with the Edel LTx intake, so there was no average to take. I'm not saying the Edel is going to somehow make 30 more power over the stocker, but quoting results that are incorrect is just dumb.

Wonder if Chev sells just the RamJet intake w/o all the electronics.
lol well i was reading the topic a shitload of times and of all the topics you were saying the same thing i had to put something in there to make the post entertaining
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey TaKid........who cares about torque and 4000rpm's.......do you think we drive tow trucks or something......and none of those intakes "except for the single plane" helps with air distribution. Which is the real problem with big hp lt1's......
I'll take a car that makes 30lbs more TQ in the lower rpms than one that makes a few more ponies at max rpm.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Because it doesn't seem like there's enough proof to know whether or not a high rise is worth it I refuse to hack into my cowl. The mini ram seems work for me just fine.
Originally Posted by T/A KID
I'll take a car that makes 30lbs more TQ in the lower rpms than one that makes a few more ponies at max rpm.
Agreed. Maybe it was cool at one time, but I don't prefer engines that have to rev to 3000rpm to go 5mph. Especially on a manual since it's harder on the clutch while having to ride it out to get the car moving.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still think the bolt-on 30lbs. ft. of torque gain from a converted GMPP intake is the best way to go for a street car.

Edelbrock just recently released a new cast elbow that'll fit the standard Holley 4150 squarebore mounting pad on carbed intakes, and has the bolt pattern for an LS1 throttle body. It's also only $114.00:

THROTTLE BODY INTAKE ELBOWS
FOR LS SERIES AND FORD 5.0L THROTTLE BODIES
These elbows were developed by the Edelbrock engineering team using the latest in Computational Fluid Dynamic software. Edelbrock Throttle Body Elbows are the best way to adapt LS1, LS2 and Ford 5.0L-based throttle bodies to EFI manifolds with traditional squarebore mounting pads. An internal divider optimizes flow quantity and distribution into the manifold and they can be mounted forward, backward, or sideways on Victor EFI square-bore manifolds. Three versions allow EFI tuners to position the throttle body low for hood clearance or higher for maximum airflow.

Ultra Low Profile Elbow #3847 is designed to fit under the hood of an LS1 Camaro when used with our Victor Jr. LS1 EFI manifold #29085. The throttle bore center sits 9.00" forward and only 0.56" up from the manifold mounting flange.

Low Profile Elbow #3848 has a throttle body bore center 7.00" forward and 2.00" above the manifold flange.

High Flow Elbow #3849 is an ultra high flow Victor version which measures 4.50" from flange to throttle body centerline (7.75" overall height).
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

But are the hood clearances the same on the LS and LT cars, as well as for Firebirds? That's the main question.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Launching!

ok so where does this leave us?? not to hi-jack tha thread, but if i were going to throw a P1SC on a 383, what intake set-up would be most benifficial for me??
Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by WHITEBOY_ZACH
ok so where does this leave us?? not to hi-jack tha thread, but if i were going to throw a P1SC on a 383, what intake set-up would be most benifficial for me??
Stock. Boosted cars get away with WAY more (in this case less, lol) intake than N/A or N2O cars do.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Launching!

well idk because ive heard lots of talk of turbulent air at higher rpm with a stock, or even the stock style edlebrock manifold. also the stock intake causes the cylinders to burn unevenly, whereas a single plane would help with both problems. i should have been a little more specific. im already leaning toward a single plane, now i dont know what components to get.

Quick Reply: Possible new Intake manifold for LTX