LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is it OK to go no T-Stat??? Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are confusing oxidation with calcification. Now I am not putting out my opinion one way or the other for the should I run pure water or a coolant mix, but oxidation is the process by which an oxygen atom covalently bonds with another atom due to its high electronegativity. It does not involve other minerals directly. Water will cause metal to oxidize (some more than others). Now having impure water, such as tap water, containing other minerals will accelerate the oxidation process because those ions' charges will "assist" in the combining of the metal atoms with the oxygen atoms. In addition some of the other minerals in tap water (read hard water) will themselves oxidize with the oxygen in the water causing deposits to build up in the coolant system (like the calcium buildup you get around your facets / bathtubs in some areas).

As for me I run 50/50 but thats only because I haven't tried anything else and its what the owners manual recommends. I haven't had any trouble with overheating. As long as the car is moving (southern NC) the temp gauge stays around the 1/4 mark...sitting still / stop and go it will near the 1/2 mark. I have the stock 180 Tstat.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywalkersw
I think you guys are confusing oxidation with calcification. Now I am not putting out my opinion one way or the other for the should I run pure water or a coolant mix, but oxidation is the process by which an oxygen atom covalently bonds with another atom due to its high electronegativity. It does not involve other minerals directly. Water will cause metal to oxidize (some more than others). Now having impure water, such as tap water, containing other minerals will accelerate the oxidation process because those ions' charges will "assist" in the combining of the metal atoms with the oxygen atoms. In addition some of the other minerals in tap water (read hard water) will themselves oxidize with the oxygen in the water causing deposits to build up in the coolant system (like the calcium buildup you get around your facets / bathtubs in some areas).
To be perfectly honest, that's exactly what I was thinking in the first place! And I also mentioned calcification in an earlier post. Woot
Old 06-05-2008, 08:30 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Time_SS
I just replaced my water pump about a week ago.
This idea came into mind.
Would it be OK to run without the termostat???
Would it hurt anything?
Would it run cooler?
Has anyone tryed this?
It's in right now, but just wondering...
I'm not going to touch on the rest of what's going on in this thread at all, bt don't listen to everything that's been said in here. In simple short answers:

Would it be OK to run without the thermostat??? NO
Would it hurt anything? Not directly, but it can cause other problems that could
Would it run cooler? NO
Has anyone tried this? YES

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywalkersw
I think you guys are confusing oxidation with calcification.
Not confused in the slightest. I'm simply stating rust will not be a problem when the proper amount of coolant and distilled water are mixed.

Quick Reply: Is it OK to go no T-Stat??? Opinions...