LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Benefits of Ported heads & Intake with Stock Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008 | 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of Ported heads & Intake with Stock Cam

I was just wondering who has seen what kind of gains from running ported heads and intake with the stock cam. I want to upgrade the cam as well but when you add the timing set, lifters and pushrods and a tune to the picture its pretty expensive. The heads have upgraded springs and 1.6rr's so I know I'll get a little more lift and duration over the stock 1.5's but How much is the question. Will the power still fall off after 5200rpms or will it make more power at a higher rpm, etc. What's your $0.02? thankls in advance for your input.
Old 07-15-2008 | 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

You will be disapointed if you do it that way because the stock cam is very limiting. A cam and valvetrain swap will net you more of a gain and sound a heck of alot cooler too! I see you have 168k on the motor, I would look into rebuilding before I'd do either because they are going to want to put that motor over the edge. A buddy of mine slapped some heads on his tired 140k '94 and the added compression from milling and thinner head gasket killed the rings within 50 miles and here he is out of money and a car to drive until its rebuilt just my .02
Old 07-15-2008 | 07:12 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That was probably caused by some other error other than adding compression. More likely a lean spike or continual detonation.

Added airflow is always advantageous to making more power. I'd put it all on there. Then, when you get some money for the other things put them in later. If you have the capacity to do it yourself the cost of doing it twice will be minimal.
Old 07-15-2008 | 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ported heads with a stock cam and bolt on's should put you around 325 rwhp. If you had a cam to that later on, depending on the cam, it will add another 35+ easily. Put a badass cam in there and it will add 60+. Just depends on what you want to do first.
Old 07-15-2008 | 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I think I read the beginning wrong, I'm assuming you already have the ported heads? If you do then by all means put them on. When I first read it I thought you were choosing between heads/intake versus doing a cam.
Old 07-15-2008 | 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I do have the heads already and will be doing the bottom end and replacing the oil pump already and figured since I'd have the stock heads off maybe I should go ahead and swap the ported ones on and then do the cam later so I can get the car back on the road faster. I figured if it would still be a noticeable improvement, I could wait on the cam but I just realized that I'd have to remove the wp and opti again too so I may just wait and spend the money on the cam, lifters and pushrods first. thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Benefits of Ported heads & Intake with Stock Cam