LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just dyno'd

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008 | 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

i would not run full blasts on that car without a real dyno tune, you are asking for a blown motor.
A mail order tune is not for setups like yours!!!
Old 07-22-2008 | 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know mail orders arent very accurate, but what is unsafe about this particular tune that everybody is throwing up red flags about? Everybody hears mail order and says not to even drive it when in reality its on the rich side not even close to leaning out and the timing is conservative with no signs of detonation and the intake temps stay within 20 degrees of ambient on a 1st to 4th gear blast?
I am getting a real tune, just getting some initial numbers so I have a reference point when all is said and done. The tune is decent (not perfect by any means) not to mention safe so why not?
Old 07-22-2008 | 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Funkybird
Yes, I know I need a tune lol The car has only been running for a few weeks and I got a mail order tune just to get it close.
Is that 10.93 on your A/F reading? That's not really "close" imo.

You have a lot to pick up with a tune.

Last edited by infinitebird; 07-22-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2008 | 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

I know mail orders arent very accurate, but what is unsafe about this particular tune that everybody is throwing up red flags about? Everybody hears mail order and says not to even drive it when in reality its on the rich side not even close to leaning out and the timing is conservative with no signs of detonation and the intake temps stay within 20 degrees of ambient on a 1st to 4th gear blast?
Yeah I don't think you are going to blow it up, it just won't make anywhere near what it should without a dyno tune.

The tune is decent
I would disagree there, lol. Although that's by no means the fault of the tuner. It's incredibly hard to do a mail order tune for that kind of setup.

Last edited by infinitebird; 07-22-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2008 | 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

For FI you want wot af to be 11.7 He's not even 1 point off, so thats pretty damn close for an educated guess! Alot closer than it would have been had I left the pcm unchanged from the previous setup thats for sure haha

Just remember that a real tune will happen very soon lol
Old 07-22-2008 | 10:38 PM
Launching!

randy i think your car should run ****! and i think that dyno is fucked up. don't get me wrong jeremy runs a good shop but i think his dyno has somethin wrong with it... i wouldn't worry to much about your numbers from that dyno untill you try out a different dyno. but if it comes up with the same numbers then its your tune more then likely...

I will be racing it soon against my car, so be ready randel!!! I've been in this car an checked it over with a bonor the whole time an this car is not no 400 hp car its well over that! an its been built the best way it possible can!!! so so so so clean!!! LOTS of money an TIME!!! my car envys this car!!!

hey randy now that i've sucked up enough can i drive it??? hahahaha
Old 07-23-2008 | 07:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hahaha, thanks Jason! I'll have to think about that driving part
Old 07-23-2008 | 08:30 AM

I wouldn't trust a mail order tune with any more than a cam only setup.
Old 07-23-2008 | 07:04 PM
Launching!

Hahaha, thanks Jason! I'll have to think about that driving part
SWEET! i'll le you drive mine! and maybe even let you spray???

Quick Reply: Just dyno'd