LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Building my LT1, heads/internals ques.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I think what I am going to end up doing is probably throwing a longer throw crank in it to get the extra cubes. Lightweight rods still prob going to go with the H Beams tho. Light weight pistons and wrist pins. JE pistons sound good but I think there are more possibilities out there for a good piston. I am going to keep the stock heads port and polish the f**k out of them throw good strong valve springs with better valves (reccomendations on hardware for the heads would be great), def throw the stamped steel rockers away and put some rollers on. I am going to prob port the intake out to accept the larger 58mm TB and then prob see if any porting can be done to the intake to get the most flow here.

I was reading about the stock lifters in these motors and read something about them bleeding at a high rpm so you arent getting the same lift at 6K RPM that you are getting at say 2.5K RPM. And reccomendations on a better lifter.

I have no clue what i wanna do for a cam. Everything seems good and everything just doesnt do what I want really. I want a steady cam nothing too lopey (little is OK), I want to really make power through 6K, its going to be in an M6 car with 3.73s in the rear. I was talking to one of my buddies hes telling me 450 lift to 475 lift should make the power i want and still keep the motor pretty road worthy.

I am pretty deep into this thing so the more advice the better. On a better note the transmission is done and I gotta pick it up. t-56 completely rebuilt, nothing really beefed up tho, hope it holds this motor.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Your plans sound good. Seems like you are doing your research.
Build your 383 as planned.
Get a custom grind cam and matching springs.
Use LS7 lifters.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think your buddy meant .575 total lift which is ok. whe going with lloyd elliot or advanced induction for the heads their packages include the cost of custom ground cam so i wouldn't worry too much about selecting your cam profiles.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody_chris
does anyone know about how much power a LT1 would get if i did a eldebrock LT4 top end and a hot cam and .40 over piston no change in stroke, BBK headers and 2500 stall?
What do they rate that at? I think 408 flywheel HP?? Really sad, good heads and cam can result in more power at the wheels than that setup has at the flywheel.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/836947-ai200-cc-heads-cam-stock-bottom-end-dyno-s-429rwhp.html
Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made some real good power on my combo. Everything in my sig plus the Comp Cams 875-16 lifters with magnum pushrods. With factory cubes, stall, and the factory 2.73 gears anything below 40 mph was nothing but tire smoke lol. Took my buddy's 98 WS6 M6 everytime we raced and he was running over 370 rwhp
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When reading the forums, understand most guys will think their setup is working well, but when two guys spend similar amounts and one car ET's/traps better than the other take a close look at the details and decide which setup is actually good.

Lots of things I have been happy with over the years only because I did not know better YET. Times when I was impressed by cars on 12psi+alky intercooling or heads/cam+175 shot of nitrous running no faster than my NA heads/cam car does today.

Quick Reply: Building my LT1, heads/internals ques.