LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Left-side Rich Condition - Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Left-side Rich Condition - Please Help!!!

OK guys, I've asked this before but still not getting anywhere and need your advise. I have been having a rich condition on the left-side (drivers side) and when running datamaster the BLM's on the left-side consistently stay rich anywhere from 108-120 and the right side is fine. I have done the following trying to track this down:

New Spark plugs (NGK's)
Checked, Double and Triple checked for exhaust leaks and can't find any
pulled fuel rail to pressure check injectors for a leaky one - NOPE
checked all vacuum fittings and no apparent leaks/cracked hoses
New O2's installed
Plug wires checked an all fine

Really not figuring out what is going on here, can someone let me know what could cause this and make some suggestions as to where I can look. I have been working with Bryan at PCMforless on my tune and he is tweaking it to lean it out a little to accommodate for the rich issue, but I want to solve the main issue to fix it for good. PS - No codes are being thrown as well.

FYI - Here is a list of my mods so you know what is going on:

383 - Eagle Stroke Kit
CC305 cam
SVO 30# inj
All Air and EGR are still present for emissions purposes
LT4 KM
ETC...

Thanks for your input and advise.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how is the other side, that dont make much sense that it is fine on one side and not the other.
either the tune is jacked up or maybe something is off with spark on that side?
check the basics and make sure you have spark at each cylinder.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

well with a series fuel rail distribution (like our stock systems) thats always going to happen...how much of a different though is the question. You using a wideband on each bank? That would help to determine whether or not its a big issue or not, but the series systems feeds the DS first...then PS, naturally leans the PS out some. Parallel is needed for high HP cars, actually heard of loosing #8 cylinders on series systems with high hp...usually boosted cars.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Junkie

could also be o2 wiring (that was the case with me which is similar to your situation)
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badzee
could also be o2 wiring (that was the case with me which is similar to your situation)
Do you mean a burnt wire for one of the O2's? Didn't look like any had issues, is there a way I can check the O2 leads to make sure they are getting the proper voltage/grouding?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CGrant
how is the other side, that dont make much sense that it is fine on one side and not the other.
either the tune is jacked up or maybe something is off with spark on that side?
check the basics and make sure you have spark at each cylinder.
The otherside (when not tuning for it) seems to be staying ideal from 120 -130ish and I have plenty of spark and checked that already. I have the delteq setup and the car is not missing, knocking or any issues, just bugging me why there would be that big a difference.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zlover129
well with a series fuel rail distribution (like our stock systems) thats always going to happen...how much of a different though is the question. You using a wideband on each bank? That would help to determine whether or not its a big issue or not, but the series systems feeds the DS first...then PS, naturally leans the PS out some. Parallel is needed for high HP cars, actually heard of loosing #8 cylinders on series systems with high hp...usually boosted cars.
Didn't think about that, but I'm prob only making round 450ish hp so not that high and not boosted. Do you think this could just be the issue as the pressure is staying constant so I wouldn't think oneside would get as much fuel?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

How did you fix the fuel distribution? I have a freind with a 93 that has been chasing a rich/lean condition for a year.

are there aftermarket fuel rails or modding the cross over tube that will resurt in more equal pressure?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

You don't need to use a wideband on each bank to tell you have a rich condition on one side.

If the BLM is staying near 108 on only one side, then there is clearly a problem.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately im not familiar with BLM readings...is there an estimate of about how much of an AFR difference?

Pampered-Z...you can fix the problem but again its usually not necessary until you get into high hp cars, 90% of LT1's and LS1's are still like this, but if you want you can always make a parallel system, you will need some aftermarket fuel rails, a y block from the feed line, then an aftermarket FPR, and then another Y to the return line. Its a simple concept but if you've ever looked into AN lines and fittings you know this **** can add up quickly, so expect to spend atleast $500, and thats if you're keeping the stock feed lines. If you truly need this then you'll need a full AN setup which will probably run you atleast $1500 for the pump, the fittings, the lines, the rails, the regulator, and all the other small stuff that adds up.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Unfortunately im not familiar with BLM readings...is there an estimate of about how much of an AFR difference?
It's an obd1 thing, although I believe fuel trims for obd2 work the same. It's the long term fuel trim reading that measures an average of how much the o2 sensors have to compensate to achieve stoich. On obd1 the closer to 128 the reading, the least off things are. 108 is the minimum stock blm, meaning the o2s are seeing the max rich condition they are able to compensate for.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really not sure where to go here, do you all think that removing the injectors and having a shop flow test and match them would be a good start? If so any ideas who to go to or even better if there is a good shop locally in the Houston area? Thanks and let me know what you think.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same condition only reverse...

My dr side is near perfect, but pass is rich, real rich.

Doesn't run bad or anything, but datamaster shows to be very rich...

Looking for a solution as well..

-Rick
Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys, just an update. I checked everything and still had issues, so I broke down and pulled the fuel rail and flip-flopped the injectors. Lo and behold when I ran it again the problem/rich condition flipped sides to the right side/passenger side. I'm positive now it's the injectors and one or more is sticking. I have send them off to an outfit to have them flow tested and cleaned with the pintails, orings and filterbaskets replaced. The outfit is called Witch Hunter Performance and I should have them back later this week. I'll keep you posted and hopefully this solves my issues.

Quick Reply: Left-side Rich Condition - Please Help!!!