LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark vs MSD Opti... which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
I had been researching that block as well but the big thing is I am going to have to change the block with the rest of the plans I had. That will probably be easier though.

However the other thing I am keeping in mind is if I find that it just will not be possible or in the end.... get me to far into my toy budget to be worth it. I just always said I wanted to do it once after seeing those two and mainly hearing them. But its going to be something I have to find the correct platform and being completely different is not always worth the cash. (aka using the LT block)
It's going to be ALOT of $$$ to satisfy your little 'curiosity' project.
If it's worth spending thousands of dollars for your personal interest than knock yourself out.
People having been building solid performing small block Chevy's for decades, LTx platforms included, that are capable or monster numbers, all while reving under 7k.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not really about monster numbers. Its really about the oddity of things just like some of my other projects. However as I said if I find this is just not the motor and a V6 will be better I will go forward. (hints why I have not made a huge thread asking about it, I am looking pretty much quietly)

This was the first mention off it mainly because someone asked how high I would like to rev.

But since my Thread Topic has nothing to do with getting after me for something I did not make a topic about... maybe we could get back to what I was asking about? Seems everyone is having more fun going off topic then answering my real question.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
Its not really about monster numbers. Its really about the oddity of things just like some of my other projects. However as I said if I find this is just not the motor and a V6 will be better I will go forward. (hints why I have not made a huge thread asking about it, I am looking pretty much quietly)

This was the first mention off it mainly because someone asked how high I would like to rev.

But since my Thread Topic has nothing to do with getting after me for something I did not make a topic about... maybe we could get back to what I was asking about? Seems everyone is having more fun going off topic then answering my real question.

Thanks.
I do remember reading something where a guy with a high reving motor was running a MSD opti. He would drill out and reinforce the rivets on the cap and locktite the rotor screws. But I think he was only regularly reving it to 7500rpm.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey id be cool if you built it, but its not going to be cheap

Id like to see how this turns out, and if it was even worth the time

Im just adding a dash of reality to your idea, you said cheap and this is somthing thats not going to be it.

Start pricing out good valve train parts, I MEAN REALLY GOOD stuff

Being different isnt always good, look at emo kids and how far that gets them
Old 07-25-2008, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Yes Emo is very evil lol. But then who else would amuse us when we need to watch someone who's life is clearly worse then ours lol.

However if I said cheap I must have meant something else so I am sorry for the confusion (Or my mind was wondering about something else as ADHD often causes with me). When it comes to a motor cheap is never a word to use.... I can't even think of a good enough excuse for a redneck comment and cheap in a motor build lol.

Either way it looks like a Stock will be fine but the Dynaspark still running after 5 years def makes me feel like if I want to have a good backup for when i screw up it might not be bad to do.

Any other reports on the MSD or Dyna I def still want the input.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

I say do it!!!! I think it would be awesome if you could. As for opti's. Ditch them. Your going to need to run a crank trigger with a standalone pcm --- like a Fast or Big stuff 3
Let us know what you come up with!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I traded my old L99 4.3 Liter motor for a 4 pack of beer this week (Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, good beer ). That shows you how much I valued that motor (that someone mentioned in this thread).

To hit above 7k RPMs, you shouldn't be using an optispark at all.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

DO you realize how shitty that would drive on the street? If you have a motor that spins to 10,000rpm, you will have no power down low for cruising around. I don't think it's possible to maintain a decent power curve from 2k to 10k. Your going to need a 4.56 gear and you will be replacing the valve springs atleast once, maybe even twice a season if you drive it much. Sounds like a total nightmare for a street motor lol, don't get saucy it's just my opinion! I don't even think nascar engines spin to 10k!!

Last edited by kinglt-1; 07-26-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Its not a Nascar Engine, some overseas engines are another matter.

Either way though you entered a thread about optis to comment on something not opti which I did not mind. However I will have to see if I can dig up some Dyno Graphs off those V6's to show. Again its not about power as these are not going to be the most powerful but very different and very interesting to me none the less.

But I do wanna try to gather Opti info lol, so lets not go to far, maybe I should let this one stay on this topic and make a new Opti thread lol. (Not being mean its just information I want to gather for myself no matter what)
Old 07-26-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Well I would do neither run a stock delco! The Dynaspark is prolly better than the msd tho!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I can appreciate this build 100%, good luck man, sometimes building something amazing is more important than building something practical. The one thing i can tell you is if you manage to piece together an LT1 that will spin to 10k, chances are likely its not going to have an opti on it.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go with a crank trigger like was stated earlier, neither of those distributors are gonna do much over 7500.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

I def agree after research they are not. I will go with the crank trigger.

SO for normal playing on the LT4 I have even with say a bigger came maybe a CC503 the stock is best then? I will always have a back up motor (I am sure most of us do) and I want it to basically be as fun and reliable as I can make it while some fun too.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, but people will say good things about- just about anything.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Have had the dynaspark on two cars. 1st one was totaled back in 02/03. Got another camaro and put it on that one and still running strong. Even been wet too when i cleaned engine bay with hose..

dynaspark > msd
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
DO you realize how shitty that would drive on the street? If you have a motor that spins to 10,000rpm, you will have no power down low for cruising around. I don't think it's possible to maintain a decent power curve from 2k to 10k. Your going to need a 4.56 gear and you will be replacing the valve springs atleast once, maybe even twice a season if you drive it much. Sounds like a total nightmare for a street motor lol, don't get saucy it's just my opinion! I don't even think nascar engines spin to 10k!!
Who cares??? It would be cool to have an lt1 that revs to 10k rpm with like 800hp. At that point I don't think you would care about driveablilty. my gixxer revs to 16000rpms, 10k can be done. Lol.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

any opti is NOT an option if you want to rev (LT1 pcm will cut you off at 7200rpm). at that RPM either is an LS1 PCM conversion (LS1 pcm is only good to 8000rpm). You need something like a FAST XFI setup.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
You need something like a FAST XFI setup.
or a carb LOL

Quick Reply: Dynaspark vs MSD Opti... which one?