LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark vs MSD Opti... which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaspark vs MSD Opti... which one?

I would like some answers from those running them. I am going to buy one... I am just not sure which is the better of the two.

I have seen some reports of the first MSD ones having some problems but MSD was great at fixing it and handling customers correctly. That is a huge part of it to me. I want service should something go wrong.

So which would you choose?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Really would like some input from anyone thats purchased one of these.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
I would like some answers from those running them. I am going to buy one... I am just not sure which is the better of the two.

I have seen some reports of the first MSD ones having some problems but MSD was great at fixing it and handling customers correctly. That is a huge part of it to me. I want service should something go wrong.

Honestly...neither, an AC Delco works just fine. Don't waste your money.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen problems with both.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Frankly my long terms goals are to make a motor thats destroked and revs quite high so I do not want a stocker. I would pref something ready for high reving.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

How high are you wanting to spin it?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

as close to 10k as I can get we have to see how much money I dump into this lol
Old 07-25-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

My Dynaspark is 5 years old (April 2003). No complaints here, other than the price.

Edit: 10K? Forget the Dynaspark then. Go with a crank fire ignition system. You'll need an aftermarket PCM anyway, as the LT1 PCM is done at 7k for f-bodies (7200 for Corvettes). It will not rev any higher than that.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

as close to 10k as I can get we have to see how much money I dump into this lol

How are you feeding air and fueling this thing at 10K rpm?
What are the valve train specs? Spring rates, seat pressures? How do you not get valve float?
I want to know what bottom end you are running and how ridiculously expensive it is.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Launching!

i know a guy with a civic that revs to 10k
Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 19mike84
i know a guy with a civic that revs to 10k
Yeah and S2K's redline at 9K stock, but that's in a 2 liter, 4 cylinder engine. Double the amount of cylinders and almost triple the displacement and see how spinning to 10K rpm works out for you.
Anything is possible, but for a price...I want to know how much $$$ this guy is investing to get the motor to reliably spin anywhere close to that.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

ac delco here, no complaints.....
Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Thats why I want top Destroke. This is all really just a nice plan I want I am still looking into a lot as I have not run across many DeStroked LT's.

The idea came from a GM showing where they had DeStroked 2 3800V6's and done a lot of work.

Obviously there is a lot more to do but since I knew the Stocker was bad above 7.5k and I was replacing it I would rather get something to get me ready for what I am working towards.

So the Dynaspark does not go to 9+k as it stated? Or did I miss read it?

As for fuel and air its going to be completely custom most likely. Between myself and Rusty's Total Performance it will probably look fairly strange.... and he will be pushing me to go the turbo route with it as always.

So 5 years and no problems with your Dynaspark? Sounds like it is worth the extra 75 for it over the MSD. I was curious about the timing setup on the MSD though.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

10,000RPM??

Ditch the LT1 and build a snout rev happy SBC, your wasting your time on a LT1 at that point...Even if its possable
Old 07-25-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats why I want top Destroke. This is all really just a nice plan I want I am still looking into a lot as I have not run across many DeStroked LT's.

The idea came from a GM showing where they had DeStroked 2 3800V6's and done a lot of work.

Obviously there is a lot more to do but since I knew the Stocker was bad above 7.5k and I was replacing it I would rather get something to get me ready for what I am working towards.

So the Dynaspark does not go to 9+k as it stated? Or did I miss read it?

As for fuel and air its going to be completely custom most likely. Between myself and Rusty's Total Performance it will probably look fairly strange.... and he will be pushing me to go the turbo route with it as always.

So 5 years and no problems with your Dynaspark? Sounds like it is worth the extra 75 for it over the MSD. I was curious about the timing setup on the MSD though.

Dude honestly, your out of your mind if you think thats even close to being a good idea.

Built a SBC thats a soild roller if you want somthing that revs to the moon...

Your whole project is *** backwards
Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Well thanks for the comment *shrugs* I appreciate it... not the way it was put across but thanks none the less.

I will continue looking into things and if going with yet another SBC works better I will but I would like to do something a little stranger esp since the LT is pretty much shunned with the LSx around now... and I would like to do something that will probably get me responses like yours... and some that actually find it as interesting as I found it.

However if I find its just a huge money pit then the LT4 will see some fun changes and I will sit down and figure out what my next plan is.

Thank you though for the directness... its to the point.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe you should look into starting with a "baby" LT1, the 4.3 liter V8's that come in a caprice. Looks identical to a LT1 but has "8XX" on the side of the block instead of "327" like all LT1's. Same intake, TB, manifolds, etc. You could de-stroke that one and maybe be able to increase your rpms.

I know there is on at a junkyard near my house.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Well thanks for the comment *shrugs* I appreciate it... not the way it was put across but thanks none the less.

I will continue looking into things and if going with yet another SBC works better I will but I would like to do something a little stranger esp since the LT is pretty much shunned with the LSx around now... and I would like to do something that will probably get me responses like yours... and some that actually find it as interesting as I found it.

However if I find its just a huge money pit then the LT4 will see some fun changes and I will sit down and figure out what my next plan is.

Thank you though for the directness... its to the point.
LT4? Dont tell me you wasted money on that POS package from GM also claiming 425hp

What is your point of this build? To rev it?

You understand 10,000 small blocks are VERY VERY expensive, and you will have alot of money into just the valve train to sustain those kind of revs..

And those baby LT1s were never ment to rev like that, think of them as a POS like the 305

Big waste of time, talk to a REAL ENGINE BUILDER and see what they say

Please contact a sponser and ask them to save you the time your about to waste
Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

I had been researching that block as well but the big thing is I am going to have to change the block with the rest of the plans I had. That will probably be easier though.

However the other thing I am keeping in mind is if I find that it just will not be possible or in the end.... get me to far into my toy budget to be worth it. I just always said I wanted to do it once after seeing those two and mainly hearing them. But its going to be something I have to find the correct platform and being completely different is not always worth the cash. (aka using the LT block)
Old 07-25-2008, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
LT4? Dont tell me you wasted money on that POS package from GM also claiming 425hp

What is your point of this build? To rev it?

You understand 10,000 small blocks are VERY VERY expensive, and you will have alot of money into just the valve train to sustain those kind of revs..

And those baby LT1s were never ment to rev like that, think of them as a POS like the 305

Big waste of time, talk to a REAL ENGINE BUILDER and see what they say

Please contact a sponser and ask them to save you the time your about to waste
Yes Slick, I understand that.

No Slick I did not buy an LT4 from GM or parts I bought a car with a rebuilt motor using LT4 parts in one of my many parts cars. So I am running it why not it had 600 miles on it and I have been going through it these past few weeks.

I have been polite but frankly if you do not like the idea and mind other people using their time to look into other things then STFU. *Shrugs*
Also thanks for your assumptions on ability but while no expert I work with someone else in these builds for a reason (Hints my mention of Rusty). So thank you for the rude comments, I will keep them in mind and probably prove you right but whats the harm in me gather information with my time if that's what I want to do?

Quick Reply: Dynaspark vs MSD Opti... which one?