LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor out the top

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about taking the front bumper cover off? I don't know about a Camaro, but I imagine it's like the Firebird....it's only a few bolts, nuts and plastic clips, and the nose is off. That should give you quite a few more inches of room.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed my motor I lifted all 4 wheels off the ground took the acc off and took the intake off. I left my trans on but i put a jack under the tailshaft to help angle the motor. I also removed my hood and the plastic panels by the windshield. I had the motor in the car in about 30 mins with help from a few people.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
What about taking the front bumper cover off? I don't know about a Camaro, but I imagine it's like the Firebird....it's only a few bolts, nuts and plastic clips, and the nose is off. That should give you quite a few more inches of room.
Probably the route I'm going to have to take. Someone suggested to me today to bring the hoist in from the side, don't know how good of a idea that is.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would just keep the hoist in the front, your going to have to work the motor around anyways a little bit just to get it out. And yes the bumper cover is very easy to take off and would give you a good deal more space to work with.

Did you start this project already, or just still gathering info?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh judging by my pictures I posted, getting it out of the car is the last step I am at.
Looks like I will pull the bumper off and see if I can get it out today.

Kinda wish I was at the gathering info stages, next time its coming out the bottom.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

you're fucked. You should always pull a 4th gen car's motor from the bottom
Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey if you havent done it yet..well then do it from the top...first off buy a happy hooker from tpis.com..really cheap and it swivels and bolts right to your intake...second off make sure everything is out of the way and get a come a long....also take the bellhousing off or you arent getting it out....start to lift the motor and then winch on the come along so the front of the motor starts to come up and keep doing this process till the motor is pretty much front is at the top in the air and back is at the bottom and ge tthe motor high enough pull it out and get her down on the ground...same process jsut backwards to get it in there....this is the easiest way i have found to do this in a 4th gen so far...i hate doing it from the bottom personally...i had no probs at all man..didnt need to pull body panels(just hood) or anything...man its alot smore simple than these ppl are puttin it out to be.... seriously its not that hard guys...
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

well on the other hand take your bumper cover off just so you have a little more room and so you dont mess it up with your hoist.....has some plastic pin deals on the top and the bottom and some bolts holding each inner fender well on and then you can get to your bolts that hold onto the fender gap...there are 3 on each side there...a couple underneath for the skidplates or whatever and its off....good luck with it man...you just gotta use a little brains with this process thats all...sounds like you got them so we will see....btw ive done 5 out the top so far and have hd no probs at all man
Old 08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by phirepower
you're fucked. You should always pull a 4th gen car's motor from the bottom
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok for your trans bolts I unbolted the crossmember and let it pull the motor back then used a long extension and a swivel to get the bolts out! As for pulling and puting the motor in threw the top take your hood off get it out of the way! When I did mine threw the top it kept hitting on the kmember. So I used a floor jack and unbolted the kmember lowered it just enough to have room to get it in and out! Hope that helps mine is in now as of last weekend. Also with you just pulling the motor without the tranny should make things a little easier.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:31 PM
8 Second Club

I have pulled my engine a dozen times, always from the top.I can have it out in under 1 1/2 hrs by myself. I come in from the passenger side.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I have done it from the top many times, I have the same issue as you. The hoist arm is too short.

I take the bolt out of the last hole and slide it on out. Mine is about 4 inches too short. The load of the engine will keep it in, just be careful about pulling back on the hoist without the full load on the end.

Make sure you have enough in the end to keep it in there.

Taking the front cap off makes it MUCH nicer.

I also use the happy hooker, look on e bay.

Also, get you a ratchet strap. Put it on the crank snout and the hook of the hoist. That way you can tilt the engine the way you want/need. It will pivot on the "eye".

As far as the trans bolts, I use a 9/16 or 14mm gearwrench to get the ones on the sides.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

The happy hooker is key to anyone who wants to manuver an LT1 out the top. It will seriously be the next most helpful thing you buy next to the engine hoist
Old 08-31-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine went straight out the top with no probs whatsoever...not so sure what all the fuss is about...its rather easy...

fresh motor going in

and here is the old one coming out

Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry those pics are blurry it was on the wrong setting..and as you can see it had all the accessories on it...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I pulled mine, I had the engine torn down to this point:

[IMG][/IMG]

A few things I learned the hard way:

1. Don't just unblot the long tube headers and leve them in the engine bay. Pull them out because they get in the way.

2. Pop the hood struts off and lift the hood all the way up and prop it. I didn't do this, and the lift hit the hood and now it's dented and the paint is chipping on the top.

3. Pay close attention to the cowl area. The chain I used to bolt to the block was actually a little too long, so I trashed the cowl. I had to hammer it all back straight.

4. Also pay attention to the engine in relation to the fiber glass a/c condensor box. At one point the engine "fell" over to the passenger side and did this to the condensor housing. Not a big deal, as I planned on deleting a/c anyway, although I was going to leave the housing alone and just remove the pump and lines. This changed those plans :

I pulled mine with the auto trans attached:

The lift I rented was JUST long enough. It was about an inch away from the front license plate. The only problems I really had was because of the 4 points I made above. Had I taken the headers completely out, it would have come right out no problem. When I dropped the new engine in, I was on a very short schedule to get the lift back to the rental place, so I put the trans back in separately.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post up if I remember anything else.

Oh, you said you unbolted the bellhousing bolts... but did you unbolt the torque convertor from the flexplate?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a six speed, does the clutch bolt up to the flywheel? I though with manuals it was a friction deal..... maybe I have more bolts to be undoing.

Its on hold anyway, lost 3rd and 4th in the truck, so trying to swap that trans.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow you mean you actually tried to take a motor out of one of these cars without removing the hood..????I mean seriously....Come on man....That seems like that should be on the list of things to do first..not trying to be smart but wow

LIST
1. Remove Hood
2. Remove Motor lol

Thats like trying to change the oil with the car in motion...just doesnt work
Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I have a six speed, does the clutch bolt up to the flywheel? I though with manuals it was a friction deal..... maybe I have more bolts to be undoing.

Its on hold anyway, lost 3rd and 4th in the truck, so trying to swap that trans.
I'm sorry, I didn't notice that you had a manual. Owned by reading comprehension

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
wow you mean you actually tried to take a motor out of one of these cars without removing the hood..????I mean seriously....Come on man....That seems like that should be on the list of things to do first..not trying to be smart but wow

LIST
1. Remove Hood
2. Remove Motor lol

Thats like trying to change the oil with the car in motion...just doesnt work
It was October, and I was quickly losing daylight so I was rushing. I was paying more attention to where the engine was in the bay so as to not hit anything. In fact, as you can see from the pic it was nearly pitch black out by the time I got it out. It was just an over sight. BTW, no need to remove the hood. Just pop the upper strut mounts off and the hood opens nearly vertical, also seen in the pic.

This was my first engine pull, EVER, and I did it by myself, in the dark, with only a hand-held work light.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SprayedLT1
I'm sorry, I didn't notice that you had a manual. Owned by reading comprehension

It was October, and I was quickly losing daylight so I was rushing. I was paying more attention to where the engine was in the bay so as to not hit anything. In fact, as you can see from the pic it was nearly pitch black out by the time I got it out. It was just an over sight. BTW, no need to remove the hood. Just pop the upper strut mounts off and the hood opens nearly vertical, also seen in the pic.

This was my first engine pull, EVER, and I did it by myself, in the dark, with only a hand-held work light.

well thats understandable but I just say if your gonna do it you might as well do it right and take the time to do things the right way..I would not even wanna risk my hood by leaving it on...the first thing I do is take it off...as you see you got yours damaged....its just way too easy with something weighing that much to have a mind of its own and hit something if it binds or gets unstuck...bribe some friends next time with pizza and beer and Im sure you will get some help