LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lloyed Elliots cam specs hmmm.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lloyed Elliots cam specs hmmm.....

Does this sound right for one of his custom grinds the lift is pretty small this is for the LE2 package
question answered

Last edited by alabamapimpin; 08-03-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats with a 1.5 rocker, use 1.6's.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

thats what he said to use but what im woundering is if it thats already with 1.6 and the lobe sep is 108 thats diffrent as well
Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Possibly but there are endless combinations so you really never know. Your best bet would be to ask Lloyd but I dunno what he will say considering custom cam specs from him/Bret are really to be kept secret. I personally would delete the specs for their sake (if its one of their cams) but anyways if thats your actual cam and you got it from Lloyd or Bret then Lloyd or Bret would surely help you out. The lift numbers are with 1.5's.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That was a mild cam (milder version of LE1 cam) from when Bret Bauer was doing my cams. It will pull from about 1600-6100 RPM and make some pretty good TQ.

It is a NON emissions cam.

1.6 rocker will put it at .573/.565 lift.

Lloyd
Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
That was a mild cam (milder version of LE1 cam) from when Bret Bauer was doing my cams. It will pull from about 1600-6100 RPM and make some pretty good TQ.

It is a NON emissions cam.

1.6 rocker will put it at .573/.565 lift.

Lloyd
You do your own cams now?...I didn't know that, I thought Bret did all of them. In that case Im loving the one I got from you!

Last edited by StealthFormula; 08-03-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yea, I have no beef with Bret or anything and in fact we speak on the phone every day or two and are good friends. I was happy with all the cams he did for me.

The change was more of a cost effective thing since I can now sell a custom billet cam for $300.

Lloyd
Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I personally would delete the specs for their sake (if its one of their cams)

you know as well as anyone that numbers posted @ 0.050" don't mean a hill of beans. post 'em all day long - you'd be pissing up a rope thinking you could copy the ramp profile on that information alone. Assuming, of course, you'd even want to.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
you know as well as anyone that numbers posted @ 0.050" don't mean a hill of beans. post 'em all day long - you'd be pissing up a rope thinking you could copy the ramp profile on that information alone. Assuming, of course, you'd even want to.
Oh go **** up a rope!

Last edited by StealthFormula; 08-04-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Oh go **** up a rope!

I would if I was interested in the cam specs. Simply seeing the numbers doesn't mean a whole lot.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

I would if I was interested in the cam specs. Simply seeing the numbers doesn't mean a whole lot.
you are right, but I recall a post by Bret once about sharing specs and I believe even at .050" so I just try to respect him.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

I just try to respect him.
that's where we differ.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

that's where we differ.
Oh I know! lololol
Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so lloyd who is speccing your cams now? you?

does this mean I can finally release the cam specs of my 4 year old LE3 cam? I miss that cam and the heads you did for me... I should have never sold them
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yep, that would be me.

I use a lil more split in duration between intake and exhaust than Bret did and I have a pretty good deal set up with Bullet/Ultradyne so I can sell a billet cam for $300. I can use Comp also but it just costs more $$$.

The guys at Bullet/Ultradyne pretty much have or can make any lobe with any lift you want and be as aggressive or as mild as you want depending in what springs/valve trane you are using.

Trevor Johnson (my head machinist) has been using Bullet for years and kinda turned me on to them a while back.

I am the one picking out the duration, LSA, timing events, etc and I just reference the guys at Bullet to dbl check the jerk rate, etc, and MAKE SURE the valve trane weight (spring, retainers, valve, etc), rocker ratio, seat/open pressure of spring and RPM range are all gonna work well.

I am a lil more "free" with the specs and will discuss a cpl of options with customers and let them know the differences in the cams that will work for them.

Lloyd
Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

yep, that would be me.

I use a lil more split in duration between intake and exhaust than Bret did and I have a pretty good deal set up with Bullet/Ultradyne so I can sell a billet cam for $300. I can use Comp also but it just costs more $$$.

The guys at Bullet/Ultradyne pretty much have or can make any lobe with any lift you want and be as aggressive or as mild as you want depending in what springs/valve trane you are using.

Trevor Johnson (my head machinist) has been using Bullet for years and kinda turned me on to them a while back.

I am the one picking out the duration, LSA, timing events, etc and I just reference the guys at Bullet to dbl check the jerk rate, etc, and MAKE SURE the valve trane weight (spring, retainers, valve, etc), rocker ratio, seat/open pressure of spring and RPM range are all gonna work well.

I am a lil more "free" with the specs and will discuss a cpl of options with customers and let them know the differences in the cams that will work for them.

Lloyd

Good for you, Lloyd. The guys at Bullet/Ultradyne have been doing this for a little while, and know their stuff.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

yep, that would be me.

Lloyd
Thats pretty cool, out of curiosity will you be selling custom cams alone, not just like with the packages?

The cam that I bought from you about a month or two ago with my LE2 heads...Its a Comp Cam w/ mid 220's on the intake with 570's lift and a real tight lsa, is that one of your cams or Bret's?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stealth, that is one of Bret's cams and it worked real well.

The one I use in its place now is a 228/235 .560/.560 110 LSA and a lil smaller one for emissions purposes.

I have sold a cpl to "cam only" guys but really wanna focus on using them with my heads.

Lloyd
Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

The LE2.2 cam I got from Bret worked pretty good on stock heads. Didn't think that really tight LSA would work but I was surprised. This brings me to a few questions Lloyd; are there any differences in the operating range(RPM) between the new cams compared to Bret's? Obviously LSA isn't the only thing that could possible change that, but do you see much change in peak power as well as under the curve with the new specs?

Im seriously looking at going with a new LT1 setup in a project car and would like to see what the new cams can do. Always looking at something different, thats why I ask.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

no real back to back comparisons with cam change only so who knows on that part but the duration and LSA are different on the new cams to not step on the toes of Bret or Joe O but designed to work in the same RPM range.

Most agree Intake Valve Closing point (when comparing lobes with same ramp speed) is what will determine RPM range for xxx cubic inch (as well as measurements in the cylinder heads, ability of cam and exhaust system to get the exhaust out of cylinder and ability of intake and TB and CAI to feed the engine also) the DCR also. You can get there with xxx duration on a moderate ICL, a lil bigger duration on a lower ICL or a lil smaller duration on a higher ICL. This all effects how much of the lobe is before TDC at end of exhaust stroke and begining of intake stroke and changing the valve opening point and amount of overlap.

What size intake lobe and where you place it (ICL) depends on your beliefs of what the engine needs in relation to IVC and your beliefs on what the engine needs on exhaust lobe side and how much overlap you want or can tolerate (emissions) for the EVO, EVC.

Pretty much just look at all the cam specs you can and when you find a car that really runs hard is it because the intake lobe is at X centerline?, because exhaust is on X centerline, there relationship together? because the intake closed at X degree?, because the exahust opens/closes at X degree?, etc, etc. . . . . . lots of variables but when you find a theme in cams that are all making good power, you try and use that theory when designing your own cams.

Lots of completely different theories in cam designs that work so there is really no 'wrong" way and some cam people will come to blows with another calling each other off based and in left field with there cam designs but while both cams are designed COMPLETELY different, they can still end up making the same HP and TQ curves and running the same E.T.

A good example would be to look at Pro Stock and the COMPLETELY different theories in porting, valve job, intake design, camshaft design, tune up, etc, etc, and you still have a 16 car field separated by only .005 or so.

Lloyd

Last edited by NightTrain66; 08-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Lloyed Elliots cam specs hmmm.....