LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Free 97 Camaro project

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Free 97 Camaro project

I just made a deal on selling my 01, 31,000 mile ws6 trans am and the person through in his 97 z28 project to get me to bite on his deal.

Anyway, this car has sat in paint prison (body shop) for 4 years in pieces. The motor has been rebuilt using forged crank, rods and pistons, new roller lifters, comp cam chromoly rockers and push rods. It has never been cranked. Suppose to have a completly rebuilt 4L60E. I`m having a guy check it out for me and do some tricks to it. It has a brand new TCI 3500 stall and new 3.73 gears in the stock 10 bolt. The seats have been recovered in new leather. A whole bunch of new parts basically. Some of which make me want to gag, so they will be going up for sale. Like a new Xenon body ground effects kit and some new wing installed on top of the z28 spoiler. Also, a Sun Coast Creations ram air z hood that is for sale as well with ram air box. It has the stock chrome z28 wheels as well that are about to go. I have already received new ZR1 wheels to replace them with. 315`s in the rear.

So, this car has not come to me 100% complete. There are parts missing. As you can see in the pics the car is orange. I`m not digging this color scheme, so I am going to go back to the factory white with orange stripes color scheme. I will be using the 35th anny stripes though, painted on of course and not vinyl. I will be putting a LS1 SS spoiler and LS1 hood on it as well. The car was getting the LS1 front end put on it, so I have all those parts, just need the hood. I`m gonna need some help in identifying a couple things as well as some pointers on making some changes to the car, ie fuel setup for a 150, 200 wet shot and accessory setup. I`m not very familiar with the LT1 cars, although I do know a little.

What kind of cam is this? If you can`t see the numbers, CHS 288___300?

Run down on the engine from what I know so far. The heads have been ported as well as the intake. It has a BBK 52mm TB. Suppose to be 11:1 compression. It has new 30# Accel injectors. I`m trying to identify the cam right now. I`ll post a pic on here. Anyone with some good ideas, feel free to post. No BSer`s though.
Attached Thumbnails Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4083.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4087.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4085.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4086.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4089.jpg  

Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4091.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4092.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4100.jpg  
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Have no idea about the cam, but what is the story about the '68
Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats with the spoiler on top of the spoiler? lol
Old 08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Real 67 rs/ss 350 camaro. I am restoring it. I have already put new floors, dash top, rear window filler panel, new NOS quarter panels, NOS outer rear wheel wells, new toe boards and a couple other areas where there was some rust. Car is completely rust free now. You see it now in the beginning stages of body work. It has factory 12 bolt posi in it as well. I have a built 383 and a 700r4 to go in it. It has deluxe interior, fold down back seat, console with factory gauges and factory tach. Those are original GM doors and fenders and NOS header panel. Lower valance is repop and the trunk lid is repop. Tailpanel is original GM. It has Hotchkis suspension. So many new parts on this car
Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Whats with the spoiler on top of the spoiler? lol
That`s what I said. He called it a Texas Wing. I told him it looked gay, but whatever. I have already ordered a LS1 SS spoiler for it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like a creamsicle. LOL.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jebcamaro
That`s what I said. He called it a Texas Wing. I told him it looked gay, but whatever. I have already ordered a LS1 SS spoiler for it.
LOL!

Looks like it needs some loving, but it sounds like you have some nice plans for it.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Looks like a creamsicle. LOL.
That's a good one.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I would leave that color. The paint work looks pretty nice, and the color is HARDLY ever seen. It looks a hell of a lot better than white. Get rid of those seats for some nice racing seats.

Here is what I would do:

-Get TTII's, paint the center spokes gloss black. Leave the hoops,center cap, and lugs polished.
-02 Spoiler
-CME if possible
-Black Manta
-SLP Grill
-Black Front Lenses
-Whistler Mod
-Stainless all around, where applicable.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, the paint job on it is very poor. You can see all the sanding scratches in the primer. There are places where the paint is heavy and some places where it is light. A few places that the primer actually bleeds through the top coat. Rockers have been barely painted. There are deep scratches all over it and a few dents that were never fixed. Wheels have already been decided upon and bought, but thanks. I love the TTII`s, but just don`t want them for this car. I actually like white with the orange stripes, so that is what I`ll be doing. Interior stays like it is. I want to save everywhere I can on this car. It`s not the paint and interior scheme I would do, but I`m going to work with what I have. I have 2 whole other cars that get all my extra cash, so this one
Attached Thumbnails Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4112-600-x-403-.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4115-600-x-403-.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4116-600-x-403-.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4118-600-x-403-.jpg   Free 97 Camaro project-dsc_4119-600-x-403-.jpg  

Old 08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Those seats are nice.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

I like the seats, especially if you repaint it white with maybe orange rear overlays. The orange body color isn't bad, but if it's a sloppy job, you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you just repainted it better, wouldn't that save you money since you wouldn't have to do the engine bay?

What would cause a rocker/spring to rust like that, especially when the others look okay? I'm guessing the oil cap was left off?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car had a complete color change. I`m going to completely reverse this paint job back to white. That is the original color of the car. I`m going to completely disassemble the car and modify my rotisserie and mount this car on it. Then I`m going to fire up my sandblaster and strip the bottom of the car and engine bay. That will make it easier for me then having to sand all those irregular surfaces.

It had valve covers on the motor, but no oil cap or breather. There must have been some moisture around the car at one time to cause all that to rust like that. I`m just going to soak them in some oil and put it back together. The heads have stock valves that I`m gonna replace with some SS Manley valves and I have some Titanium valve retainers laying around that fit perfectly to those springs that I will throw on there.

I think that cam is a Bullet cam. That company is local to me. I`m gonna give them a call to see for sure.

I will be installing NOS on this car, probably a 150 to 200 shot wet. I want to remove the factory fuel lines and reroute them. What all changes do I need to make and what parts do I need to buy to do this? Car came with a Walbro inline 255 pump in one of the parts boxes.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...It had valve covers on the motor, but no oil cap or breather. There must have been some moisture around the car at one time to cause all that to rust like that. I`m just going to soak them in some oil and put it back together. The heads have stock valves that I`m gonna replace with some SS Manley valves and I have some Titanium valve retainers laying around that fit perfectly to those springs that I will throw on there.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but if the valvetrain parts have that much rust, I'd be wary of the cylinder walls.....
Old 08-10-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sunshinning here. I pulled the heads and checked the walls. they looked just fine. I even posted a pic of one side a couple posts earlier
Old 08-10-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sunshinning here. I pulled the heads and checked the walls. they looked just fine. I even posted a pic of one side a couple posts earlier

COOL! I missed that picture..........
Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

After a lot of thinking about this car this weekend, I have decided not to build this car. I have too many projects going on to bother with this one. I have a list of parts and the car up for sale for anyone interested. I am going to put the motor and trans in my 67 camaro

Quick Reply: Free 97 Camaro project