LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

350 to 396 questions ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it's good to see that they can cheaply do 396. As far as old motors doing it, yea they can do 427 if you really want to, but that's a couple pass motor before it's not going to be doing very well

From what I've read from people on here, is that the 396 parts were more, but since more people now are doing it, that price might have came down. Go .040 and have a 400 is what I say! Probably 399 technically, but meh, semantics!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Big Rick ran 8.0s with Eagle H Beam connecting rods in his Formula.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Eagle cranks have too many dimensional issues to waste time on, probability of trouble is just too high, if your machinist catches it great but it will cost money to fix that should have been put to better parts, If not it will shorten the lifespan of bearings or such and you may never know it was a crank issue. Not saying it is weak, just saying too many folks find dimensional troubles and too many find engines built with them short lived. Maybe the wild engines have loose clearances which saves the bearings from the dimensional issues, that and they always have great oil pressure, not low flow street time. I too know of Eagle components living under big numbers, just hear a LOT less problems with Scat if going cheap chinese and frankly with the Compstar stuff available I would not even bother with Eagle or Scat.

Far ar Rick Abare's car yes that is one I was refering too, they are great heads, but they are also readily available and reasonably priced , that car has streetable compression(under 12:1), actually made a little more power on 93 octane but was to inconsistent for bracket racing at his level.
I thought Ed's car had welded up LT4s and like 14:1 compression, still an impressive car but not what I was refering too.

My real point though is if Rick's car can do that, then those same exact heads are fine for the street/strip builds most of us do. If building a 9 second NA track car then yeah you should look beyond stock castings, but not many of us are building such an animal.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baylove
i want it to be a daily driver im not really into going to the track and racing i will have to see exactly what parts they plan on using from both shops i will post them after i talk to both shops a buddy of mine said the 8 grand was a lil over board and thats not including head work that was just to clean my heads and to inspect them NO PORTING OR UPGRADED parts for the heads i would rather spend the extra money to have it done right THE FIRST TIME instead of going the cheap route and having to pay more at the end but also i dont want to deal with shops that have inflated prices just because they can
Power lies in the topend newb, yes you need more cubes

But if you dont have a good flowing topend, you end up with a slow truck motor

Id take a nasty head n cam, over a mild poorly built stroker
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok slick i understand

Quick Reply: 350 to 396 questions ???