LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Nice bright spark but no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read #18 again. This was happening before and after the Blaster coil. Perhaps we're looking at an intermittent bad ground or some other connection. A particularly troublesome part is the harness to the opti. They go bad with age. Speedy, please keep us informed if the problem comes back.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
Read #18 again. This was happening before and after the Blaster coil. Perhaps we're looking at an intermittent bad ground or some other connection. A particularly troublesome part is the harness to the opti. They go bad with age. Speedy, please keep us informed if the problem comes back.
Yes, you are right. So I took a look at the first coil I bought to test against the MSD. What they both have in common is that they have painted stator fins. The NAPA part I just installed doesn't have any paint, so I'm wondering if there was a grounding problem because of the paint? I'm going to try cleaning the paint off the MSD where it attaches to the housing and swap it in next week just to be sure. If it works, then the cause will be my own incorrect installation.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

If you can do it - and it is hard to get to them all, check every ground regarding the power-train. Random and sporadic failures can even be caused by a worn ignition switch.

This is why your thread is valuable; many readers will learn from the solution without having to go through all the frustration.

Quick Reply: Nice bright spark but no start