LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally Finished Torque Arm Build(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am interested in knowing how you did the roots blower. did you make your own lower intake, or does a company sell a roots for lt1.

aaron
Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't get an attitude until given one. All I had was z bars and yes I know about leaving the TA in, I asked Ed about his a long time ago. I didn't have a TA when I built this rearend in a hurry just to have a vehicle to drive, and z bars alone aren't worth a ****, that's part of that trial and error thing, but you know that already right?

Ya know, I think I'm thru with this board. I post my stuff up trying to show people that there is more than just overpriced store bought stuff out there and get ideas out there for the LTX crowd and show people that you can build stuff yerself but all I get is a bunch of "experts" with a know it all attitude telling me how it won't work, it'll break as soon as you hit the gas, those brackets aren't strong enough even tho most have never fabbed a torque arm or probably much of anything else.

It's all in how you approach somebody and some of you don't have a clue about that. There was one person in this thread that knew what he was talking about, the bolts NOT the brackets, and i've listened to his advice on more than one occasion but he has to turn around and be a smartass too.

I never said just because I built it it would be fine and i know all too well about trial and error, it took me many months of trying and redoing the roots setup to get it to fit and run. I listed the stuff I built to prove to whoever implied I need to go buy my stuff instead of make it myself, not to get on a high horse. Yall have just proven why I don't come on here anymore, too many egos and experts and if i get smartass I'm gonna give smartass. Adios.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Those mounting tabs aint gonna cut it, Have you seen the mounting bracket for a 9 inch mounted torque arm?
I agree
Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys come on. He only has one fatal flaw and it might only kill him and several other people once.

Over all I like the design I feel for his and others safety he should finish it. MY Ego, as huge as it is, has nothing to do with me not wanting to see people get hurt.

I have ripped brand new parts off my car that were being sold and just as dangerous as this setup.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 167 Likes on 128 Posts

Lost cause here guys.. this is a sinking fail boat..

Originally Posted by NXSLT1
Ya know, I think I'm thru with this board...Yall have just proven why I don't come on here anymore, too many egos and experts and if i get smartass I'm gonna give smartass. Adios.

Bye..
Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

NXSLT1:

Props to you for being enough of a thinker to fabricate things when/where you can. The blower setup looks pretty cool, I copied the pic, changed the shading and blew it up for a better look.

I’m closer to 50 than 40 at this point in life and I’ve done my share of fabrication, sometimes to the disdain of others. I BUILT my Monte’s cowl-induction hood from brand new Chevelle parts and hood. In the mid 80's people thought I was nutz. Now, theres guys everywhere doing it. The difference is, it’s not just the hood skin, MINE WORKS!

We here in this open world wide forum and community of folks like you and I are just trying to air what we see as wrong and possibly a hazard to you and others.

I know I’ve seen somewhere here or on a sponsors website that you can find for a couple hundred bucks a empty, ready to load and bolt-in nine inch rear for our cars and what’s the cost of an adjustable TA? Like $300.00 bucks at UMI.

This was a do it yourself fabrication that you should’ve realized was doable for a minimum cost yet be way safer.

Take away some of the attitudes that are inherent when dealing with other strong-headed people and you’ll see we’re all just trying to help and guide you.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

AWWW, I had to mention it. 496 with heads & intake from John Linginfelter (I placed the order with him directly). It had one of the first Holly Pro-Jection4 fuel injection systems. Headers and exhaust by Kookie himself, built up in his home shop between a dragster and firetruck back when that was all he had. You can see the coated (almost NOBODY was doing that back then) headers in the fenders and the 3 inch tails in the quarter. No interior in this shot and there's a temporary wire for a fuel pump under the door. Nine inch rear. Plans are for a 572 all aluminum 800 HP motor BUT the Formula keeps ****-blocking it. Not a great copy of the pic, I'll try to find the original. Yup, the vinyl top is blue.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Guys come on. He only has one fatal flaw and it might only kill him and several other people once.

Over all I like the design I feel for his and others safety he should finish it. MY Ego, as huge as it is, has nothing to do with me not wanting to see people get hurt.

I have ripped brand new parts off my car that were being sold and just as dangerous as this setup.
take it from ellis and me and other guys that beat on their cars...its simply mounted too weak...great idea and with a little more reinforcement it might work..but it will rip those bolts out of the housing pour out all the fluid along with breaking the driveshaft possibly the tranny tail housing the rearend and locking up the tires ds through the floorboard ect...we all on this forum like to see new ideas but none of us wanna see a fellow member get hurt or damage/wreck his car...exspecially when we can give you advice before this happens...take it as you want man...but weve all said it and thats all we can do
Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Lost cause here guys.. this is a sinking fail boat..
What's that 3300lb 402ci LQ4/L92 STROKER running these days?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will give props to a person that will fab their own and make it work!
however seeing the mounting tabs and seeing what has happened to a few aftermarket TQ arms i too would question the durability and safety at that mounting area! NO one is giving you crap it is just a concern of safety!
If the mounting tabs break off the rear end is going to flip upside down,rip the driveshaft from the tranny then what?
I think you have a great idea in the works but like every rough sketch you will find a flaw....
Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You know the funny part? WHo the hell do you think was designing this stuff before you could buy it and testing it on the streets?

Some of the very people who have posted here.

I fab almost all my stuff. If I see some thing I can buy cheaper and will work better I do. I have had stuff I 'bought' that damn near killed me from big names...none of which you see around today in real use.

I was in no way trying to shoot you down more then trying to save you from an accedent that 'could' take lives from a easy to fix, small issue. Your idea is sound it just needs a better mounting solution. Put a package together and market it.

Hell I remeber when BMR had there first GP and he was working out of his home shop
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR

SLower than my old school 383 LT1 in a 3700+ lb car LMAO
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will apologize for going off on some, some I won't, was having a bad day at work yesterday. Ellis, I know you know yer **** and you were the one I was referring to about that. Yer the only one at the first of the thread that knew it was the bolts not the brackets that were the weak link but again I've seen you be a smartass on many occasions and have learned to overlook it, it's just how you are.

As I said, it's the way you approach somebody and most on here don't have a clue about that and it just set me off yesterday. I see it all the time, a newbie will ask a question and some of you rip into them with yer "expert" advice and try yer best to belittle them.

I already told yall that I know the bolts are the weak point and will probably reinforce the backside of the brackets yet some wanna continue with their "lessons" and smartass comments. Some I believe were concerned about safety and some just wanted to cut my work down, I don't have time for that, it's childish.

Paul Bell, you seem like a pretty smart guy that knows how to approach people without the attitude. When I started building this rear a few years ago I didn't have the money nor did I find a bolt in housing that cheap. I had to get the car back on the road quick and for cheap plus I get more satisfaction building it myself than just buying it and bolting it in, I think you can understand that part.

As I said from my second post on I am planning on bracing the backside of the brackets up but I doubt I'll be posting up on this board much anymore.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

One request, if you continue posting about your blower setup if nothing else, that thing looks sick. I do agree that the lt1 threads usually turn into a pissing match between members and usually it is between two people that do not know what they are doing...i myself do not post on here that much partially because of that, and partially because I do not know much myself. I do work on my own car all of the time, but I have the help of a friend and brother who have done it for a couple of years longer than me. I am not trying to be the nice guy over here, but most of the people on this board do not have anything done to their cars, and then post about everything between head and cam swaps and turbos....
Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Sittin in the Garage collecting dust..4L65E blew up..lol
I'm droppin in the T56 when I get back from Iraq..

My last run out of it before the Rear blew up was 11.19@120.4mph, 1.56 60ft.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
SLower than my old school 383 LT1 in a 3700
+ lb car LMAO
You got a little bit more setup with yours..different combo of parts that work very well.

Throw a better Intake, 28" and different Gears in mine and it would be a different story..my Intake hits a wall at 6500 RPM's..

There is a Street Camaro with a 403ci L92 Headed Iron Block that has a custom Intake and spins to 10,000 RPM's..they are runnin high 8's on Motor..and it's a 6spd.

I'll have a T56 in it soon, it will get a little slower in the 1/4, but I'm not chasin every last .10 second, I just built it to have fun with, and it does alrite..
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXSLT1
Yer the only one at the first of the thread that knew it was the bolts not the brackets that were the weak link..
Quite a few of us said it was the Bolts..I wouldn't trust 4000lbs on them 2 bolts, that is about the weight that I would calculate to put on them when you launch hard.

If you re-designed your Brackets & Torque Arm to where the Torque Arm mounting point is dlrectly infront of where it bolts to the Housing, you may stand a better chance cause the force is being distributed differently. I'm not saying that you are trouble clear.. hell it may work well..I'm just sayin that I see that as a better approach. Someone else mentioned the same thing as well..

Quick Reply: Finally Finished Torque Arm Build(pics)