LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

torque converter question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter question

I'm new to torque conerters and I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me how they work and how they are when driving...just trying to understand how to use them when I get one put in my car, thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
Old 09-27-2008, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

LOL!^^^ It keeps you in a better torque range when you jump on the gas on the street or from a dead stop in common terms.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

IF you get a good one, the car will feel mostly stock as far as accelerating slowly. It will grab WELL before the stall rating. If you brake torque it up it also will not go up to the stall rating. The only time it goes up there is when you mash it.

My car drives perfectly normal in normal driving. When I mash the gas however, it is incredible. It flashes up to 3200 and I TAKE OFF.

I had a cheaper converter before this one and it was MUCH looser in normal driving. But when I got on it, it too pulled VERY hard. It's night and day in performance driving.

The better quality converter you get, the better normal driving will be.

One of the cooler things I've noticed is when you give it some extra gas low in the rpm range the rpms jump up and you feel the acceleration but the RPMs stay where they jumped up to until the tranny catches up to the engine speed.

Only bad thing, is the car still feels really slow from a roll.

If you have any specific questions, spit them out.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like if I'm racing at the 1/4 mile track can I sit on the line and have my brake held down and get the rpms up to say 3200 if I have a 3200 stall and then when I let off the brake will it then launch better than without one?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shutzero
Like if I'm racing at the 1/4 mile track can I sit on the line and have my brake held down and get the rpms up to say 3200 if I have a 3200 stall and then when I let off the brake will it then launch better than without one?
provided you get traction doing that. your better off almost leaving at idle and let the torque multiplication(str rating) take over. i think stock is 1.6. the higher the number the stronger it will feel at launch but it wont pull as much up top compared to a lower str rating.

do a search and read as much as you can

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=stall
Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AChotrod
LOL!^^^ It keeps you in a better torque range when you jump on the gas on the street or from a dead stop in common terms.
Thats Awesome
Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

I get better 60s stalling it up as high as i can. I tried flashing it and could only get 1.8. Tires r 275/50/15 M/t drag radials on Welds just incase someone wants to say more tire.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shutzero
In short, no.

When you do that the converter will go up to about 1000 rpms or more below the advertised stall before it starts to move the car.

The only way to get it to jump to the advertised stall is to "flash stall" it. Meaning from idle or very close to it where you stop on it.

From fuddle:

3. Stall-

--a. Flash Stall: Flash stall occurs when you launch dead off of idle. This is the point where the converter "flashes" to a certain RPM and climbs from there. This is often the most violent way to launch a Fuddle converter as it gives you full torque multiplication and extremely violent launches.

--b. Rated Stall: The amount of torque your setup makes directly relates to how high your Fuddle will stall. As more torque is added, more stall will be seen. At Fuddle Racing Torque Converters, we rate our converter stall speed with the assumption of 400 lb ft of input torque. If you make more, expect the converter to stall higher than advertised. If you aren't at the 400 mark yet, don't expect a full advertised stall speed out of the converter.

--c. Brake Stall: Brake stall is basically the point at which your tires will break loose and begin to spin as you have one foot on the brake and one on the throttle. With so many variables have to do with brake stall, from gear ratio, vehicle weight, brake condition, and many others, that it is almost impossible to accurately rate brake stall. As a general rule expect brake stall to be approximately 30% lower than advertised stall speed. Lower and higher have been seen, so don't be surprised if it isn't close to advertised stall. It isn't supposed to be.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man I can't wait to get a stall, but it is far in the future for me. It's hard reading about how awesome they feel.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

It will help you do nice burnouts, even if you do not have alot of power!....A torque converter will make an automatic transmission alot of fun...Just make sure you buy a good one right off the bat, as it was mentioned, the driveability will not suffer with a good converter even if the stall is 3000-3600. I have a 3400 stall converter from EDGE.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a TC! you'll love it! just make sure you don't get a cheapo unit...
...and get a good transmission cooler as well.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

The best way I have found to launch is to bring it up to about 1200RPM's, and then smash it when the light turns green. I had a Yank SS3600 with 3.73's, and I was cutting consistant 1.56-1.58 60ft's with the left tire a few inches in the air. I got it to pull both of them off the ground, and that's when the 10-bolt blew..