LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car running hotter than normal, water pump going out? 200-220 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya know i wondered that. When i bought it the guy at Autozone pulled up the number, walked to the SBC shelf and picked it up and said here it is. On the package it said SBC, TPI, LT1 or something like that. It def said LT1 on it though. I guess i should just order one anyway. I thought LT1s were reverse flow cooling? Would that make a difference with the theremostat?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT1 thermostats are different from Gen I small blocks
Old 10-11-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Ya know i wondered that. When i bought it the guy at Autozone pulled up the number, walked to the SBC shelf and picked it up and said here it is. On the package it said SBC, TPI, LT1 or something like that. It def said LT1 on it though. I guess i should just order one anyway. I thought LT1s were reverse flow cooling? Would that make a difference with the theremostat?
yeah completely different....like i said before just go to the dealer...they are the same price and really it is a better part
Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOLO
You know that you can't just use any 160 degree t stat in there right? The right t stat is either the one from GM or Hypertech(#1008).
see!!!!!! dont mess around with autozone when it comes to an intricate part like this...this could take your motor out man
Old 10-11-2008, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

AZ parts suck for the most part. Get a GM stat or hypertech. I would bet its either wrong or defective if its from AZ.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the coolant temp. fan switch? i had to replace one on a formula LT1 at work, but that wouldn't describe you slowly progressing temp. reading.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
what about the coolant temp. fan switch? i had to replace one on a formula LT1 at work, but that wouldn't describe you slowly progressing temp. reading.
i doubt its the switch....im thinkin its the thermostat!! if not its the water pump..
Old 10-12-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

I've already pulled the MAF sensor to send the engine into limp mode which activates both fans all the time. I pulled each relay when the fans were on too to make sure both fans were working so i know its not the fans. I drove 20 or so miles with both fans on constantly and it didnt make a difference in temp. I'll order a new thermostat then.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Well i ordered a Hypertech 160 a couple days ago was scheduled to be delivered today. Had a "few" beers while waiting for the UPS man. He showed up, i put the thermostat in, bled the cooling system and decided it best i not test drive it tonight. I'll report back with results tomorrow. The thermostat in there was DEFINATELY a SBC thermostat. It was short not long like the LT1s are supposed to be per Shoe box's website.

Do you think this could have been the problem? It's been in there about 8k miles maybe more. The cooling issues gradually got worse.

http://shbox.com/1/tstat.jpg
Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i do believe its your thermostat!! if not then waterpump! keep us updated
Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While I do not recommend it lots of guys have run the standard smallblock thermostat without any obvious issues.

The mechanical pump generally fails by beatrings getting loose and allowing it to beat up the seals and it slowly begins to weep which has more impact on the power steering than it does cooling because the dripping makes the belt slip.
A few guys have had the impellers come off the shaft in which case they suddenly and completely stop moving water.

If I were you I would pull the radiator and thoroughly flush it, sounds a bit like it is plugging up internally. RMI-25 is a safe and effective long term cleaner and conditioner for such things. NOT a caustic quick flush. I have had good results reviving a plugged radiator by first flushing with the garden hose and then running this stuff.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
While I do not recommend it lots of guys have run the standard smallblock thermostat without any obvious issues.

The mechanical pump generally fails by beatrings getting loose and allowing it to beat up the seals and it slowly begins to weep which has more impact on the power steering than it does cooling because the dripping makes the belt slip.
A few guys have had the impellers come off the shaft in which case they suddenly and completely stop moving water.

If I were you I would pull the radiator and thoroughly flush it, sounds a bit like it is plugging up internally. RMI-25 is a safe and effective long term cleaner and conditioner for such things. NOT a caustic quick flush. I have had good results reviving a plugged radiator by first flushing with the garden hose and then running this stuff.
thats good info!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

I replaced the thermostat with the Hypertech on and it FIXED IT! Woohoo thnaks guys! Now the temps dont go above the 1/4 mark. They stay right around 180 or so. Before i couldnt run with the AC on RT 1 (75mph for an hour) because the temps would climp to about 230 or so. I just assumed it was because my car is lowered 2" and have gfx on the front. I think i might take a trip on rt1 today and see if my AC causes my car to run hotter or not.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice simple fix, glad you found it. I will have to guess it was a bad stat though. Like I said I have known guys to use regular SBC stats without issues. I don't recommend it myself.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah i did notice the new thermostat had a longer 'plunger' that extended to cover the hole in the top of the water pump where as the sbc thermostat didnt it was just a saucer shaper theremostat. In any case it works great. I didnt feel like replacing ther water pump anyway haha.

Quick Reply: Car running hotter than normal, water pump going out? 200-220 degrees