LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

debating boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default debating boost

One of my best friends has a 99 GT with a built motor and Novi 2k. He's making in the 500s...his car is awesome. Truely a beast car. Granted I've only had the car together for a little while, and I built it to be N/A, but being around boosted cars has given me the itch.

Now, I have all supporting mods. I have a CC503 cam and 11.3:1 compression. I know that boosted motors like low compression as opposed to high. I'm completely new to the game here. I'd like to run a centrifugal S/C. A good friend of mine, Alvin, used to run a T-trim and he made 500s as well. Granted I believe he had a custom cam and some head work.

What would I need to get off the ground and prepare my motor to run a S/C somewhat efficiently. Basically this thread is about knowledge, to let me know if I truely can boost the motor I have without going back into it, which is what i really DON'T want to do. If so, then I'll put this idea on the shelf with many others...haha.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will post what I posted on LTxtech.com here for you.

If your engine is not forged, then I would really stay away from boosting. Your going to want to boost it alot (higher boost opposed to lower) because lets be honest, you wont want to stay low boost for long. With a CR that high you can run into trouble with even moderate boost. Sure theres a safe way to do it with any setup, but if your going to be boosting it dont you want it setup perfectly for that?

Plus if it does get taken too far and something pops, all that H/C work you did could be at risk. It most likely will survive, but you never know. Its really up to you, but I dont think I would knowing I had all that $$ into it and its not really prepared for boost...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your motor has gone the opposite direction to consider boost now. The compression is too high. Your cam and valve springs need changed. If you were seriously considering boosting the car, the most logical way would be to build a separate motor over time.. and your car won't be on jackstands for months (sounds familiar ). That way your not wasting all the money you put in the N/A motor. But I think for your situation, a good heads/cam package is what you need.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to go up to Concord and check out AI man. They have some really impressive stuff and it shows in the way their customers cars run.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ralls
Your motor has gone the opposite direction to consider boost now. The compression is too high. Your cam and valve springs need changed. If you were seriously considering boosting the car, the most logical way would be to build a separate motor over time.. and your car won't be on jackstands for months (sounds familiar ). That way your not wasting all the money you put in the N/A motor. But I think for your situation, a good heads/cam package is what you need.
I already have great valvesprings. Everything was new when I put together the motor.

Originally Posted by fergymoto
You need to go up to Concord and check out AI man. They have some really impressive stuff and it shows in the way their customers cars run.
I know man. I've been wanting to get by there sometime and check them out, I've really been considering a custom cam from them along with getting a stock set of heads and over time getting them really worked. We'll see.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

didn't we already go through this? i mean if you dont beleave me that 11.3:1 compression and boost dont mix go to the procharger web site and just look.....
Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

why not throw a small shot of nitrous at that beast? and it looks like youre making some decent power already anyways! 351 at the wheels is very respectable, now think if you threw like a 100 shot or maybe 150 thats 450-500rwhp just where you said you wanted to be, and honestly i dont know personally if your CR is too high for nitrous but i would think nitrous would be safer than the boost. boost is like crack, you are gunna always want more, nitrous is like coke, you want some but then it wears off and you forget about it.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbird31
I already have great valvesprings. Everything was new when I put together the motor.
I know you have beehive springs and they may be great, but that doesn't mean they're good for boost. Dual springs will work better.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by knight17Z
didn't we already go through this? i mean if you dont beleave me that 11.3:1 compression and boost dont mix go to the procharger web site and just look.....
i don't believe i've ever talked to you about it?...this is really the first time i've thought about seriously boosting the car...

Originally Posted by Ralls
I know you have beehive springs and they may be great, but that doesn't mean they're good for boost. Dual springs will work better.
ahhh. didn't know that.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Launching!

knight367@ltxtech.com
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
why not throw a small shot of nitrous at that beast? and it looks like youre making some decent power already anyways! 351 at the wheels is very respectable, now think if you threw like a 100 shot or maybe 150 thats 450-500rwhp just where you said you wanted to be, and honestly i dont know personally if your CR is too high for nitrous but i would think nitrous would be safer than the boost. boost is like crack, you are gunna always want more, nitrous is like coke, you want some but then it wears off and you forget about it.
I'm gonna second this. Look into a Nitrous Outlet 100-150 plate set up. Their packages are rated at the wheels so you can't go wrong here
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=2809
Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

so go get some of that laughing gas already will ya! haha

Quick Reply: debating boost