LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which shocks will handle better Koni or bilstien for 96 impala SS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default which shocks will handle better Koni or bilstien for 96 impala SS?

I just bought a 1996 LT1 caprice impala SS and it needs the front 2 shock absorbers to be replaced, now i want to buy a whole set of shocks, that means 4 shocks. i want to buy either Koni single adjustable shocks or Bilsteins shocks. which shocks will make my car handles better Koni or Bilstein?

i will also btw buy complete energy suspension polyurethane kit.

thanks

Last edited by Abdullah; 10-11-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok for one im not sure if your there too but go to impalassforum.com they will be more helpful, just because they actually own those cars....not just stop and sigh when they see an ss lol

i was just in the same spot and this is what i decided...

why pay so much more for the adjustable ones when most likley, you will never adjust them. many people end up using the same settings all the time....track or street...

i was debating q1a or konis.... then i went with bilstein and saved enough for the next set of bilsteins i will need..in about two years.

also i had heard of q1a shocks failing after like a year of use.....too expensive to last a year IMHO.

i hope this helps u out. i actually just installed the rear shocks today, along with my adjustable upper and lower control arms.

heres a tip when u do the rear, make up...or buy a U-bolt for the upper shock mount. it will make it ten times easier to change them from now on. (if that made sense)
Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WHITEBOY_ZACH
ok for one im not sure if your there too but go to impalassforum.com they will be more helpful, just because they actually own those cars....not just stop and sigh when they see an ss lol

i was just in the same spot and this is what i decided...

why pay so much more for the adjustable ones when most likley, you will never adjust them. many people end up using the same settings all the time....track or street...

i was debating q1a or konis.... then i went with bilstein and saved enough for the next set of bilsteins i will need..in about two years.

also i had heard of q1a shocks failing after like a year of use.....too expensive to last a year IMHO.

i hope this helps u out. i actually just installed the rear shocks today, along with my adjustable upper and lower control arms.

heres a tip when u do the rear, make up...or buy a U-bolt for the upper shock mount. it will make it ten times easier to change them from now on. (if that made sense)
thanks, i too leaned toward the bilstein's since as you mentioned i will not need to adjust the shocks. so i think i will buy the bilstein's.

do you have a 94-96 LT1 caprice impala SS?

Last edited by Abdullah; 10-10-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Launching!

yessir i do lol

i go to impalassforum when i need an answer about my paint or somethin like that lol

i come here to go fast.

they both help a ton tho
Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abdullah
thanks, i too leaned toward the bilstein's since as you mentioned i will need to adjust them. so i think i will buy the bilstein's.

do you have a 94-96 LT1 caprice impala SS?
Uh....I say go with koni's, they are a MUCH better shock, adjustable and have a lifetime warranty. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Launching!

i didnt know koni had the warranty.....that makes a big difference. its still up to you.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chavez885
Uh....I say go with koni's, they are a MUCH better shock, adjustable and have a lifetime warranty. Just my 2 cents.

what do you mean by a much better shock? do you mean the Koni's will handle on the street much better than the bilstein's?

or the Koni's are just adjustable and have a lifetime warranty?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abdullah
what do you mean by a much better shock? do you mean the Koni's will handle on the street much better than the bilstein's?

or the Koni's are just adjustable and have a lifetime warranty?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=bilstien+koni
Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni's for sure.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My understaning is that while Konis are good in many applications they are not good for this one.

I have a mix of Bilsteins and Monroe Severe Service. Bilsteins are like 7 years old with at least 100K and last I had them disconnected from the axle were still stiff and pressurized.

If you go Bilstein just make sure to older them for a 80s Caprice. They are valved for better handling where the 90s Caprice Bilsteins are valves a bit goofy and floaty. Excuse was police landings as the Bilsteins were an option on police cars.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
My understaning is that while Konis are good in many applications they are not good for this one.

I have a mix of Bilsteins and Monroe Severe Service. Bilsteins are like 7 years old with at least 100K and last I had them disconnected from the axle were still stiff and pressurized.

If you go Bilstein just make sure to older them for a 80s Caprice. They are valved for better handling where the 90s Caprice Bilsteins are valves a bit goofy and floaty. Excuse was police landings as the Bilsteins were an option on police cars.
will the 80's Bilstein's shocks bolt-in my 1996 LT1 caprice impala SS?

and are they stiffer than the Bilstein's for 1996 LT1 caprice impala SS?

thanks.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah they boltin just fine. The chassis is little changed from 78-96 so lots of stuff can be used. Yes they are stiffer than the 94-6 shocks.

Biggest fittment issue between 80s and 90s stuff would be the 91-2 cars with skirts and the 91-6 roadmastersand wagons with skirts need a longer rear shock to make room for tire changes. Since you have a Caprice/Impala sedan with rounded wheelwells you have nothing to worry about.

Really it is amazing how many parts can interchange, the front caliper rebuild kit for these cars dates back to applications in the 60s and not just General Motors vehicles.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Yeah they boltin just fine. The chassis is little changed from 78-96 so lots of stuff can be used. Yes they are stiffer than the 94-6 shocks.

Biggest fittment issue between 80s and 90s stuff would be the 91-2 cars with skirts and the 91-6 roadmastersand wagons with skirts need a longer rear shock to make room for tire changes. Since you have a Caprice/Impala sedan with rounded wheelwells you have nothing to worry about.

Really it is amazing how many parts can interchange, the front caliper rebuild kit for these cars dates back to applications in the 60s and not just General Motors vehicles.
so i can use the Bilstein shocks for the 78-90 caprice shape on 93-96 caprices?

correct?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

yes you can
Old 10-11-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info 96capricemgr.

Quick Reply: which shocks will handle better Koni or bilstien for 96 impala SS?