LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?
Yes I do, its risky but im just careful, and its worth it to shed the weight...
50.00%
No i dont, its not worth it, either keep it a track only car or dont remove them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

everyone is argueing a moot point....the people that want to remove them will...those that don't will leave them on.

and on the Insurance side.....I would love to see the look on an adjuster's face when I tell them I want ~50K to replace my 94 formula.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jarretthise
yeah to be honest im pretty sure the plastic is there to keep it from sagging....MAIN POINT IS DONT TAKE IT OFF OF A STREET CAR THAT IS A DD!!!!! point is gotten across now...no sense in argueing and hijacking this thread...this thread wasnt even asking for this anyways
true about the hi-jacking..but i worked on cars where the foam/plastic support saved the bumper from being cracked....mostly just paint issues and paint chips..but anyways to the person who posted this thread its up to you on what u wanna do to your car, u seen ur go back and fort on its better for this and that and no its not when it comes to an accident..just do what u wanna do with your car and hope all positive things go well to it..
Old 10-10-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because im sure he has 50 grand plus in his car!!! lol...look at that beast!!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Check out my F-Quick site...look down the mod list and start adding it up.

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Pontia...mula/1994/676/

I have most of the stuff listed
Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't have anything Styrofoam in my Car..it's all a grid-like plastic piece.

You guys keep talking about accidents and hitting objects..I've seen quite a few wrecks.

The biggest thing is not what you have/don't have in your car, it's really what you smash into.

You hit another vehicle of large object of that nature, there is where the Bumper Supports are going to function as designed, to absorb the impact across the whole area of that piece, and to stop the forward inertia of the vehicle. In a wreck of that nature, your Engine will be protected more cause the force of impact is going to be transferred more into the Frame of the vehicle. Take that out, and the front will lose it's integrity to do that, and you will have more damage in the front area to more of the the inner parts, the impact will go further in.

Now in the case of you **** up and hit a tree or pole.. that is maybe a 12" wide rounded object with all the force and momentum of that vehicle focused on that impact point. OFCOURSE there is going to be a shitload of damamge and it's going to be deep, no matter what is there. You can have a 12pt Roll Cage, and guess what, we'd still have to cut your *** out with the Jaws, and trust me that's just more mangled **** for us to cut through, delaying you getting extricated from what's left of the Car.

Most people have that mis-conception of "they are not going to protect against a Tree or Pole.." No ****, that's not what those pieces are designed for.

Do a search, I guarantee the ratio of Car vs. Car accidents is a hell of alot greater than Car vs. Tree, etc. That's why the stuff is designed the way it is..

Last edited by the_merv; 10-10-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
I don't have anything Styrofoam in my Car..it's all a grid-like plastic piece.

You guys keep talking about accidents and hitting objects..I've seen quite a few wrecks.

The biggest thing is not what you have/don't have in your car, it's really what you smash into.

You hit another vehicle of large object of that nature, there is where the Bumper Supports are going to function as designed, to absorb the impact across the whole area of that piece, and to stop the forward inertia of the vehicle. In a wreck of that nature, your Engine will be protected more cause the force of impact is going to be transferred more into the Frame of the vehicle. Take that out, and the front will lose it's integrity to do that, and you will have more damage in the front area to more of the the inner parts, the impact will go further in.

Now in the case of you **** up and hit a tree or pole.. that is maybe a 12" wide rounded object with all the force and momentum of that vehicle focused on that impact point. OFCOURSE there is going to be a shitload of damamge and it's going to be deep, no matter what is there. You can have a 12pt Roll Cage, and guess what, we'd still have to cut your *** out with the Jaws, and trust me that's just more mangled **** for us to cut through, delaying you getting extricated from what's left of the Car.

Most people have that mis-conception of "they are not going to protect against a Tree or Pole.." No ****, that's not what those pieces are designed for.

Do a search, I guarantee the ratio of Car vs. Car accidents is a hell of alot greater than Car vs. Tree, etc. That's why the stuff is designed the way it is..
yup yup
Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DAMN there are alot of stupid people here!

How many of you will climb in a 60-70s F-body with out a thought?

They dont have ANY of this stuff!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

Yeah, and in the 1940s, they didn't have seatbelts.
Does that mean I should take those out too?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

And watch the wrecks from them in the back of the day..them cars would get sliced in half by trees and telephone poles. I've seen pics of Engine's all the way in the Trunk from an impact.

Regardless if they had it then or not, the **** now DOES HAVE it for a reason, and it's been proven to be effective.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
And watch the wrecks from them in the back of the day..them cars would get sliced in half by trees and telephone poles. I've seen pics of Engine's all the way in the Trunk from an impact.

Regardless if they had it then or not, the **** now DOES HAVE it for a reason, and it's been proven to be effective.
And I know that better then any. I totaled one of these cars before most of you HAD one!

I just drove mine 30 miles to work and I feel just as safe in it as i did back then

BTW it has been proven if you do NOT drive your car it is safer. I think you should all quit driving
Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

your right they dont but there cars have alot more frame and the front end is all metal and alot stronger than our plastic ****
Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

the point is things are safer and everyone should stop being a smart *** in here and be helpful!!!! just say yes i would take them out or no i wouldnt..that simple
Old 10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I would say if you have a 6 point cage or better then yes go ahead. If you do not have a cage I would not. There are too many idiots out there these days to give up any safety aspects of the car.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I would say if you have a 6 point cage or better then yes go ahead. If you do not have a cage I would not. There are too many idiots out there these days to give up any safety aspects of the car.
there is another perspective too!!! back in the day there werent as many idiots on the road!! and cars were just plain more safe in the 60s and 70s i think....more of a car
Old 10-12-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

one word - No.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Hmmm oh yeah we debated this not long ago......

My outlook on the bumpers are unless you get hit 5-10 mph in the parking lot, I don't think they are going to do jack **** in a wreck. .
I disagree, i pasted a barrier head on at approx 40, and that bumper not only saved all my internal parts, i wasnt out of alignment, the hood was still fine, and the fenders were still in line and untouched. I saw the nose cone buckle when i hit and then hit the steering wheel, but that bumper saved me a huge deductable, what could have been over a grand in insurance, only costs me 250

So no, i would keep it in, lose weight somewhere else.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow thank you guys for allthe input i love the heated argument lol the thing is she isnt a DD mostly strip with some street use (nice days i'll take it towork, go to a few cruise nights + the beach a few times) considering that, and that i want to one day have the bolt on record, should i remove them? i think im going to i dn
Old 10-12-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

well its all up to you now!! youve heard our input haha!!! "our heated input" haha
Old 10-12-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Well I am a 'smart ***' so My opinion does not count.

Then again un-like many posting "I" have real life experiance on the subjuct

i can say the door bars do not do jack on these cars. Not opinion a fact we have seen over and over again. Hell ten years ago people were complaining about it.

If you hit some thing side ways or take a side hit you are a hurting unit as the car just folds in half. We had a customer loose it a mile from the shop in the rain and the only thing that saved his *** was the Kenny Brown sub fame connectors. he only hit the pole at 20-25MPH BTW but it totalled the car and the only reason it did NOT fold in half is the Sub frame connector took the brunt of the hit and dispursed it through out the rest of the car.

One thing you need to under stand is the car is ment to wad up and save the people inside but ONLY from certian angles. What ever you think do not expect to have much of a car left after ANY kind of an accedent in them.

I hit some thing head on in my old 95 Z28 and took the engine and transmission through the floor on th driver side. I limped away but it had NOTHING to do with the front bumper.

I have always worked to keep my car safe but research, not this crap here, is what you need to do.

Here are a few thing to think about. In most rear end collisions the rear 1/4s take the brunt of the hit. the rear bumper really is not doing much but holding up the rear facia. I have never seen a rear bumper on one of these cars save a life. The METAL portion of the front bumper is the only real piece I would save. It trys to catch what ever comes its way and fold the front frame rails in to catch it. A light piece of Chrome Moly tube will do the same. The Door bars? Proved over and over to be useless inside the glass doors I recomend a damn good set of Sub frame connectors instead. Air bags are a life saver, hell they saved my life in 1997. I did not remove mine until I installed the cage a six point harness's. AT that point they are just in the way. ABS is un-beatable on the street. They can do more for saving your life then any thing else on your car IMHO. It was hard for me to take mine off but it was over 25Lbs when I got done.

so look over what you realy want to do and wiegh your options. Front and rear bumpers were the first to go on my car in 1999 when I was still DD the car every day. I did keep a light bar on the front to hold every thing together and do the real job of the front bumper.

Like I said My opinion has been formed from real life experiances with dozens and dozens of these cars
Old 10-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Keep the track car for the track.

Quick Reply: Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?