Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I need new clutch soon...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need new clutch soon...?

I've own my 02 formula M6 for 2 months now. I drive this car only once a week for about 20-30 miles. The clutch is acting up lately. First day when I bought the car, the clutch will engage about half way padel. But now, it won't engage until I almost let go the padel. The other day when I'll driving on a uphill road, it's really hard to engage with a dead stop.

I've no history on how long the current clutch was used. Also, when I driving on freeway with top gear and step on the gas, it won't rev like crazy. It just climb up steady.

With the above situation, do I need a new clutch soon? How soon I can drive it?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your situation is similar to my own.
My Clutch engages about 1 inch from top of pedal travel and doesn't slip in high gear. Been like this for about a year and a half but still gets rubber in second gear so it obviously works.
Keep in mind that you have only owned the car for a short time and everybody has a different driving style. With that said different drivers will wear out a clutch at different rates. Mine has lasted 128K miles but I'm the only one that drives it regularly.
I would not be afraid to drive it because it may last along time. I would start looking into getting a replacement set up though, so you're ready when it does let loose.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Launching!

mine was doing the same thing it wouldn't catch till right at the top, but in 6th gear when i would give it gas it just revved like crazy and wouldn't pick up speed, I would say time for a new clutch
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by batman08
mine was doing the same thing it wouldn't catch till right at the top, but in 6th gear when i would give it gas it just revved like crazy and wouldn't pick up speed, I would say time for a new clutch
See that's what most people said "time for new clutch" when the high gear revving like crazy. But mine doesn't do that, it just won't engage until high padel. That's what makes me kinda confuse and scare. I don't wanna tow it home with no clutch.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How possible the pressure plate give up? The padel feel the same all the time tho.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Launching!

did you ride it hard or something if it isn't slipping you mite just need to bleed the clutch, mine was slipping in all gears also if i got on it 2nd it almost felt like i was just spinning the tires but i could smell clutch and realized i wasn't going any where. I was just gonna bleed it at first untill it started slipping.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not driving it hard at all. Sometime I can smell my clutch as well. I don't even race it ever since I own it.

Quick Reply: Do I need new clutch soon...?