Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble getting into first and reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting into first and reverse.

For awhile now i have been having trouble downshifting into first gear while rolling. It feels like im locked out and i have to force it in. If im rolling slow say 10mph or im stopped, it slides right into gear. Also today i was having a hard time getting the car into reverse. I almost have to slam the shifter over and upwards to get in. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

Hydraulic or clutch issue .
Old 10-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure its not a clutch or hydraulic issue as i recently went through that and i replaced everything. I think its a problem with the transmission...possibly worn syncros?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Not if its grinding or hard to get into gear while the car is sitting still . Easiest way to tell is turn the car off and try to put it into reverse . If it goes in , the transmission is not the issue .
Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Teching In

It will go into first when the car is sitting still or rolling slow but if im cruising at say 20mph and go to downshift into first it wont go. As for reverse...car on or off it doesnt like goin into reverse and i kinda have to yank on the shifter to get it out. It feels like its getting hung up on somthing. I know how it was when my slave was shot and this is not like it. So does this sound like it could be a blocker ring or somthing inside the tranny?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the first gear thing is normal. at least when i'm moving, it's harder to put it into a lower gear. like, if i'm crusing at 50mph, it takes more force to get it into 1st or 2nd gear than if i were going 10mph. and i have the same problem about having to yank it into reverse. i think it's the reverse lockout solenoid or something that goes into the side of the trans, by the shifter, but i haven't fixed mine yet, so i don't know.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

I get what you're saying about the first gear thing but i dont think its normal. It never used to be that hard to downshift into first. Thanks for the info about the reverse lockout selonoid, didnt think about that and i will have to look into it.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned

Its possible that it needs a freshen up .
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I could be wrong but I don't think Chevy wanted you to get into first going 20MPH. On all the manual transmissions I've dealt with you cant get into first unless almost stopped or at a stop.
As for reverse you can try taking your foot off the brake and letting the car roll just a hair. This usually works. Or you can slowly bring your foot up off the clutch pedal meanwhile holding the stick against the gate of reverse and it will drop in shortly after you get your foot off the floor.