Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Engaging Right Off Floor

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Engaging Right Off Floor

Well I have searched quite a bit and no info. I got the ls1 and t56 in my lt1 auto car. I Have bleed the hydraulics many times with the same result. The clutch engages off the floor. I have been trying to get it to go about half way up. Its the stock hydraulics with a LS6 clutch. The clutch grabs really hard all the time with no slipping. Im just curious what I should do to get this feeling better.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all hydrolics are good and is fully bleed, you need a shim behind the slave. You can buy one for about 4 bucks from SPEC.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

it may be that the master cylinder is starting to take a crap. mine is doing the same thing and i have a centerforce dual friction. i havent replaced the master yet but ithink that that is what is causing this. we shall see.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock Ls1, Ls6 and Ls7 clutches do not require a shim. If they are new they usually engage off the floor or close to it and once broken in will come up to around half.

If it is doing this on an already broken in setup, I would suspect hydraulics and air in the system. Try a mityvac on it first, search on how to use. If that still does not change the position, then I'd suspect the master as the problem.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

yea that is what i figured as well... i will keep informed to let you know if that is what caused the issue. i hope it will help... you and I. lol
Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SladeX
The stock Ls1, Ls6 and Ls7 clutches do not require a shim. If they are new they usually engage off the floor or close to it and once broken in will come up to around half.

If it is doing this on an already broken in setup, I would suspect hydraulics and air in the system. Try a mityvac on it first, search on how to use. If that still does not change the position, then I'd suspect the master as the problem.
Thanks>this is good to know!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive mityvac'd it and no success.

20 Minute Gravity bleed still nothing.

Looks like something in the hydraulic system.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mityvac may not get the job done the first time around. I've been able to pull air out of my system after a day or two of driving after a bleed + mityvac. The design of the system isn't exactly the best at promoting the movement of air up the system, so patience is required here.

just to make sure, you are following the procedure of the mityvac listed somewhere in the sticky right? Ie 15 inch/hg at most and constant pedal pressing? Note that early in the pedal travel, fluid can be exchange from the reservoir to the master, but if you continue past that and NOT release the pedal 100% when you pump, you just "slosh" fluid from the master to slave without giving it a chance to flow up to the reservoir. You can see this in action if you use a clear tube with your mityvac. The first inch of pedal press will push some fluid into the clear tube, but if you pump it, the fluid will stay static in the tube. You have to release 100% to allow an exchange between reservoir and master.

Quick Reply: Clutch Engaging Right Off Floor