Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Leak from tail shaft (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Leak from tail shaft (I think)

So the car had been driving fine, shifting gears, motor wise A-OK... I had to work out of town today and only had my Formula so I took it. I was greeted on RT280 by a myriad of horrendous bumps, waves, potholes, etc. Car was getting the **** beat out of it. I get to where I'm supposed to be and I see smoke coming out from under the car, but it's not motor oil. It's trans fluid. WTF. I had not had ANY leaks prior to this. I come back to the car 5 hours later and there's maybe 4-5 drips from the tail shaft section, right in front of the trans crossmember. Car still drives fine, and I have to drive it home. So I fired it up, get on the Parkway, and drive home. Gears shift as normal all the way home, maybe a LITTLE harder, but still required almost no effort to get into gear. I park it in the garage, the smell of burning trans fluid is there (the exhaust runs right under it I guess), and I walk inside. Just went to get something from the car and there is substantially more there Is it possible by some strange coincidence that all the shaking and banging from the road wrecked some havoc on everything? I have a stock T/A, never drag the car, have poly motor but stock (nearly new) trans mount. This never happened before, and I've been DDing it for almost 35k miles. I was even trying to sell the car too... so much for that

Oh and if in fact it IS leaking from the tail shaft, is there any fix for this besides a new trans or is it a gasket that seals it all up or what? Sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to transmission work (besides fluid changes and whatnot). Thanks for the help.

-J
Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to see where the leak is. I just cracked my tail housing but that was racing the car. It unbolts from the trans and you can do it in the car. Maybe you just tore up the rear seal or something.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure where the leak is comming from. Changing a rear seal is not a big job but oil leaking from the top of the box can look like its the seal because that where it collects & drips off.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the input. You say rear seal, you don't mean the rear main seal, do you? As in what I'll have to change when I do the clutch... Just wanted to clarify. I'll get a better idea what I'm up against when I get under the car after work.

-J
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Thanks for the input. You say rear seal, you don't mean the rear main seal, do you? As in what I'll have to change when I do the clutch... Just wanted to clarify. I'll get a better idea what I'm up against when I get under the car after work.

-J
no the seal in the tailshaft that seals against the driveshaft
Old 10-24-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks that's what I had figured.

-J
Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Typically an oil leak never goes foward . It most always blows backwards with the wind from driving . If you see oil on the crossmember , I doubt its the rear seal on the trans . I would look at things from that point where the crossmember is towards the front of the car . You might very well have a cracked tail housing . Has the unit been serviced lately ? Maybe they over filled it and its blowing out the vent tube .
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Well turns out I was wrong...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1008247-dipstick-question.html

Thanks for the insight though.

-J
Old 10-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Yep sure enough what you said makes sense

-J

Quick Reply: Leak from tail shaft (I think)