Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with pilot bearing install/M6 install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with pilot bearing install/M6 install

Short recap...
I recently got my hands on the LS3 376/480, and am trying to mate it to a 1998 F-body M6 T56. I have installed the LS1 type pilot bearing, LS7 flywheel and clutch, and new 2001 F-body slave. When I try to slide the tranny into position, it gets to where the tranny dowels just touch the bellhousing, and won't easily go any further. I tried to force it on a bit, but thought better after about 10 minutes of battling it.
When I installed the pilot bearing, I installed it so that it was flush with the flange on the crank. Is it not driven deep enough? Is the input shaft hitting the pilot bearing and stopping short of mating the tranny with the bellhousing? What else could be the problem.
Just so you know, I have never installed any of the above mentioned pieces before - I am a total noob in this area. It could be something really basic - throw me a bone here.

Thanks-
TJR
Old 10-25-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rinkys
Short recap...
I recently got my hands on the LS3 376/480, and am trying to mate it to a 1998 F-body M6 T56. I have installed the LS1 type pilot bearing, LS7 flywheel and clutch, and new 2001 F-body slave. When I try to slide the tranny into position, it gets to where the tranny dowels just touch the bellhousing, and won't easily go any further. I tried to force it on a bit, but thought better after about 10 minutes of battling it.
When I installed the pilot bearing, I installed it so that it was flush with the flange on the crank. Is it not driven deep enough? Is the input shaft hitting the pilot bearing and stopping short of mating the tranny with the bellhousing? What else could be the problem.
Just so you know, I have never installed any of the above mentioned pieces before - I am a total noob in this area. It could be something really basic - throw me a bone here.

Thanks-
TJR
The bearing only goes in flush with the end of the crank, so your fine there, are you sure you didn't install it backwards, need to ask just in case, i've done some stupid **** before, are you trying to install the complete tranny or just the bell houseing? You may want to seperate the two & install the bellhouseing 1st., one more thing, did you allign the clutch/pp with the dial tool before tightening the pp?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Yup, forgot to mention...
I aligned the clutch with the plastic type alignment tool. I have the bellhousing mounted to the engine, and am trying to slide the tranny flush with the bellhousing - no luck. As far as installing the pilot bearing backwards, I am pretty sure I did that right. Just for giggles - on the LS1 "bearing type" pilot bearing, which side should be facing outwards toward the tranny? I am thinking I just need to apply some more brute force getting everything together. Whatcha think?

TJR
Old 10-25-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, forgot to mention...
I aligned the clutch with the plastic type alignment tool. I have the bellhousing mounted to the engine, and am trying to slide the tranny flush with the bellhousing - no luck. As far as installing the pilot bearing backwards, I am pretty sure I did that right. Just for giggles - on the LS1 "bearing type" pilot bearing, which side should be facing outwards toward the tranny? I am thinking I just need to apply some more brute force getting everything together. Whatcha think?

TJR
You shouldn't need brute force, it should slide in without too much effert, as long as everything is ligning up right, on the bearing (if its anything like the LT1s) you'll see on the one side where the inner bearing is pressed in its houseing, this is the part that faces you (tranny side), the back side will be solid, this side goes in the crank.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Checked my pilot bearing, got it in the right way. I will try to put the tranny on later this evening and see what happens when I have a hand helping me out.
TJR
Old 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

FYI, when we did my tranny, bellhousing and new pilot bearing I needed a jack and two friends to help. One working the jack and the other working the tail of the transmission while I was working the front. They can be a real bugger sometimes.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Halloran
FYI, when we did my tranny, bellhousing and new pilot bearing I needed a jack and two friends to help. One working the jack and the other working the tail of the transmission while I was working the front. They can be a real bugger sometimes.
Deninetly agree. Putting the tranny back in is a pain especially by yourself. You really need at least 2 people but the more the better. I'm guessing your haveing trouble getting the splines on the input shaft and the splines on the clutch to match. This is why a second person comes in real handy they can turn the driveshaft to get the input shaft splines matched with thei clutch while you push the trann in. It is a major pain to do all that by your self especailly if your on your back in the driveway/garage.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Well - I thought I could manage because the engine is on a pallet on the garage floor. I have free reign to move about easily. But when you get that tranny up off the ground it gets real heavy after a minute of messing with it.
I looked at the dowels on the tranny and they looked to be covered with light rust and some other junk. I put some sandpaper on them and cleaned them up a bit, same with the corresponding holes on the bellhousing. Later on I will use some anti-seize to perhaps help there. The problem may be that the dowels just don't want to slip in the holes easily - I can get it that close, but no closer.
TJR
Old 10-25-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

I had a nightmare trying to get my bellhousing dowels to line up with my transmission. You need to start sacrificing cats in order to line up the tranny/bellhousing dowel pins. What we did is we got one dowel pin set in and then lightly threaded a couple of bolts on that corresponding side of the tranny. Then with the grace of God you can hold the tranny in place then get a jack on the opposite bottom side of the tranny and start lifting it. That "should" line up the other dowel. That's the only way mine went into place. Good luck. You'll probably say every curse word in the book.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Alright - got it to work. I used your tip on lining up one dowel and securing a bolt, then lightly jacking up the other side of the tranny until the dowel lined up. I got the tranny within a quarter of an inch of being grounded to the bellhousing - and used the bolts to cinch the whole thing together. I checked with a flashlight and the shim I put behind the slave is not too large - actually, it is just about right. I was worried that the slave was keeping the tranny from mounting properly - not the case.
Now I just have to figure out the wiring harness.
TJR
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Alright - got it to work. I used your tip on lining up one dowel and securing a bolt, then lightly jacking up the other side of the tranny until the dowel lined up. I got the tranny within a quarter of an inch of being grounded to the bellhousing - and used the bolts to cinch the whole thing together. I checked with a flashlight and the shim I put behind the slave is not too large - actually, it is just about right. I was worried that the slave was keeping the tranny from mounting properly - not the case.
Now I just have to figure out the wiring harness.
TJR
not a good idea. aluminum tends to strip out quite easily. lucky u didnt strip anything out this time lol. wiring harness is easy youll be ok
Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Oh I know all about aluminum stripping. I just got done studding the holes for the slave cylinder after I stripped them out. Seems when I put my 1/8" of shims in there, I did not take that into account when torquing them back in. 1/8" less thread engagement, with same torque equals a barage of foul language and tools flying around the garage. Luckily for me, I found 8mm x 6mm x 31mm studs at OSH (8mm on one end, 6mm on the other, 31mm long) that worked perfect for the job. I got them in with red locktite, so they should be part of the tranny by now.
Now I have to fix some holes in the drywall.
TJR

Quick Reply: Help with pilot bearing install/M6 install