Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting problem persists; unable to shift quickly.. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

I would give Jeremy at Spec a call to see if he has any suggestions. He'll probably want to at least see pictures of the clutch if you can pull it, otherwise he'll ask you to send it in with the flywheel so they can inspect it if they think it's possible that it's a clutch issue. Was the flywheel cut on the new clutch install or is it a new flywheel?
Old 10-30-2008 | 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I would give Jeremy at Spec a call to see if he has any suggestions. He'll probably want to at least see pictures of the clutch if you can pull it, otherwise he'll ask you to send it in with the flywheel so they can inspect it if they think it's possible that it's a clutch issue. Was the flywheel cut on the new clutch install or is it a new flywheel?
I haven't touched the clutch yet, as to the extent of my knowledge I believe its the stock clutch. just bought the car at 44k miles and its at 47k now. The master was slightly leaking when I swapped it.

I will keep you guys posted. Gonna bleed with the mityvac when I get it. If this doesn't work I will be installing a new slave with an ls7 clutch kit within the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 10-30-2008 | 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Aetos
I haven't touched the clutch yet, as to the extent of my knowledge I believe its the stock clutch. just bought the car at 44k miles and its at 47k now. The master was slightly leaking when I swapped it.

I will keep you guys posted. Gonna bleed with the mityvac when I get it. If this doesn't work I will be installing a new slave with an ls7 clutch kit within the next 2-3 weeks.
Huh, I thought I read that it was a Spec but I guess I was thinking of another post. Sorry about that.
Old 10-30-2008 | 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would bet on the slave giving you trouble, be it air in the system or just a worn slave.
Old 10-31-2008 | 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Small update: Just received the mityvac from amazon today. Gonna be bleeding my system on Sunday. Will update again on that day.
Old 10-31-2008 | 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
Once air got introduced into my slave due to an accidental pump while bleeding. I bled the **** out of it after that and supposedly all was fine. Fast forward a few months and during a WOT run in 3rd I found it sticking. I rebled, got clean fluid out, but the "air" was still trapped. I found this out while doing 4th gear pulls on a dyno when tuning my car.

Bled again, it was still sticking. Got fed up, bought a mityvac and pulled a lot of "trapped" air within the system. Significant amount. Took it for a long drive, then did a few WOT pulls to the top of 5th. Shifted like butter at redline.

I've bench bled the master and left it hanging in the garage overnight, sure enough thanks to the angle I left the system at, air worked its way up the system back into the reservoir. Once air gets in, it is a PAIN to get out. On top of that, it will disperse itself into the fluid and lower the boiling point further creating and trapping gasses from the degraded fluid at each WOT run.

I'm saying if you've exhausted all avenues with hardware, bleeding for air etc, then last point of failure is the clutch itself.

From what it sounds like either a) hole in system, air is getting in, or b) line is touching header and boiling fluid.
Interesting observations. Guess I'm going to have to buy one of those things afterall.
Old 10-31-2008 | 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Small update: Just received the mityvac from amazon today. Gonna be bleeding my system on Sunday. Will update again on that day.
Good luck bro and hope that will fix the problem
Old 11-01-2008 | 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Would love to know how this ends up for you. I to have a Pro 5.0 and am having very simialar issues. I have to granny shift it at high RPMs and it feels like I am going to break something in my arm getting her in gear. I to have bled the system with a mighty vac.
Old 11-01-2008 | 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd bet its the pressure plate. i had the very same problem on my 97. the pressure plate had just lost its tension. as good as your hydraulics are, whats going to return the clutch pedal back without a pressure plate?
Old 11-02-2008 | 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm surprised no1 suggested looking into a "Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder" yet.

If I were the OP I would search what I put in quotes and read some of the information.
Old 11-03-2008 | 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tripintaz
I'm surprised no1 suggested looking into a "Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder" yet.

If I were the OP I would search what I put in quotes and read some of the information.
Nobody mentioned it because its not the master. I just installed a new gm master and have a stock clutch. I've never heard of a brand new GM master failing at idle with a stock clutch.

Didn't have time to bleed the hydraulics, will post when I do.
Old 11-04-2008 | 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Just used the mityvac tonight, took out one small air bubble and thats it. My problem still persists. Gonna order a new clutch soon. Is there anything I should have replaced at the same time as the clutch( already have slave and tranny mount)?
Old 11-05-2008 | 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

get a tick master
Old 11-05-2008 | 06:29 PM
Teching In

Nobody mentioned it because its not the master. I just installed a new gm master and have a stock clutch. I've never heard of a brand new GM master failing at idle with a stock clutch.

Didn't have time to bleed the hydraulics, will post when I do.
The Tick Master is way better than any other according to all the reviews. I can't shift fast at high rpms, and lately i can't get into gear until i let the car idle for 15 minutes. If its cold outside then i still can't get into gear. I'm hoping that the Tick MC solves all my shifting problems. I'll post up my experience after i get it in. I don't know if it will solve your problems or not, but may be worth a shot if you don't know what else.
Old 11-05-2008 | 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
get a tick master

Im sorry, but how is this anyway possibly master related after everything I've said?

Its a BRAND new updated GM master cylinder on a STOCK clutch on a STOCK car other than an exhaust and short shifter. The pedal feels great with no sticking whatsoever. The mechanic I took it to himself said its either the slave or pressure plate.

I believe people are just stuck on saying "tick master" to any tranny related problem lately because its the coolest new thing to upgrade on the fbods at the current time.

I know you people are trying to help, but can people please read the thread or give some constructive criticism on why you think its the master?
Old 11-05-2008 | 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

How far off the floor does your pedal travel before you feel the clutch start to engage?
Old 11-05-2008 | 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
How far off the floor does your pedal travel before you feel the clutch start to engage?
I would say somewhat half-way or so.
Old 11-06-2008 | 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

So your pedal feels good, you have a new master, and you've bled with a Mityvac, but your clutch is still not fully disengaging--based on what your describing. I'm voting for a bad pressure plate. Either option requires pulling the transmission though.

Just to be sure about the hydraulics, what happens if you pump the clutch pedal a few times quickly before you try to shift? Any change?

Something else to consider...If the clutch hasn't been fully disengaging for a long time (say due to air in the system), it could very well damage the synchros in multiple gears. I would think 5-6 would still be good though because 6 doesn't get used as much typically. I say this because I seem to remember reading about guys replacing clutches and having the same problem afterwards. Just don't remember if it was your problem or not.
Old 11-06-2008 | 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
So your pedal feels good, you have a new master, and you've bled with a Mityvac, but your clutch is still not fully disengaging--based on what your describing. I'm voting for a bad pressure plate. Either option requires pulling the transmission though.

Just to be sure about the hydraulics, what happens if you pump the clutch pedal a few times quickly before you try to shift? Any change?

Something else to consider...If the clutch hasn't been fully disengaging for a long time (say due to air in the system), it could very well damage the synchros in multiple gears. I would think 5-6 would still be good though because 6 doesn't get used as much typically. I say this because I seem to remember reading about guys replacing clutches and having the same problem afterwards. Just don't remember if it was your problem or not.
Pumping does nothing and I don't think its anything internal because after the first shifting, any other shift during the same clutch down will be totally smooth. Wouldn't some sort of internal damage make the problem always occur?

Anyway, I ordered an ls7 clutch and pilot bearing yesterday. Already have a new slave and tranny mount waiting to be installed.
Old 11-06-2008 | 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pumping does nothing and I don't think its anything internal because after the first shifting, any other shift during the same clutch down will be totally smooth. Wouldn't some sort of internal damage make the problem always occur?

Anyway, I ordered an ls7 clutch and pilot bearing yesterday. Already have a new slave and tranny mount waiting to be installed.
That's true. Hopefully this takes care of it. Post up the results when your done.

Quick Reply: Shifting problem persists; unable to shift quickly.. HELP!!