Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My Faceplated T56 experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
No need to double clutch is you know how to heel-toe

A face plated transmission can be drive on the street. Its only a matter of taste as to how anoying it can be. For me, the things what would normaly **** me off in a daily driver ie. noise, rattles, clunking trans, make the weekend car more fun.
Who the hell can heel-toe in an Fbody??? It has to be the worst setup pedals for that technique I've ever come across on any car and it's damn near impossible in my car with the gas pedal set back WAY farther than the brake pedal. You would almost have to reverse which pedal to heel with and which to toe with to make it work (gas with toe and brake with heel, which just feels ridiculous).
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Who the hell can heel-toe in an Fbody??? It has to be the worst setup pedals for that technique I've ever come across on any car and it's damn near impossible in my car with the gas pedal set back WAY farther than the brake pedal. You would almost have to reverse which pedal to heel with and which to toe with to make it work (gas with toe and brake with heel, which just feels ridiculous).
You need to visit http://www.frrax.com or www.corner-carvers.com, you'll find lots of heel-toe'ing Fbody owners... :-p
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my t56 was proshifted (same concept as faceplateing).

i LOVED it for racing. but hated street driving it. after less then 4000 miles of street driving the gears started to burr up in 3rd and it would constantly pop out of gear. faceplating will do the same after time.

BAD *** for racing. SUCKS for street driving. very very annoying.

heres a vid -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0724awWcAHw

you can hear it grind going into first.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TINKRD
my t56 was proshifted (same concept as faceplateing).

i LOVED it for racing. but hated street driving it. after less then 4000 miles of street driving the gears started to burr up in 3rd and it would constantly pop out of gear. faceplating will do the same after time.
From my understanding one of the advantages of faceplating vs proshifting is that this does NOT happen. But this is only from what I've read about it.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dmart
From my understanding one of the advantages of faceplating vs proshifting is that this does NOT happen. But this is only from what I've read about it.
the gears will burr up, not as fast as a proshifted gear.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

in all honestly, i feel i can shift just as fast w/ a synchro'd tranny then i could with my proshifted.

to get teh FULL benefit of a faceplated setup you need to run a slipper clutch. this way you dont have to use the clutch at all and you just shift from gear to gear.

vid of me w/ proshifted-

vid of me w/ synchro'd- ( i'm driving the SS)
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...ent=MOV078.flv
Old 10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I still have my toes on the brake and heel on the throttle, but I have small feet so I can fit my food sideways there. It is a bit of a stretch, but it can be done.

Originally Posted by dmart
You are correct sir! A faceplated transmission will still need to be maintained, but much less often then a proshifted one.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my faceplated t56 almost everyday.

As far as heel/toe. Every driving class I have been to teach that your heal isn't supposed to leave the floor.You lose the referance point which makes you lose consitancy
Old 10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I drive my faceplated t56 almost everyday.

As far as heel/toe. Every driving class I have been to teach that your heal isn't supposed to leave the floor.You lose the referance point which makes you lose consitancy
How many miles do you have on it?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The thing about a face plated trans that makes it better at the strip for me is consistency. You dont have to keep the clutch disengaged for as long as you do with a synchro'd trans. Many of us have held the throttle to the floor and stomped the clutch, shifting the next gear. Thing is, with synchros, once in a while they can fail to speed match that quickly and you miss a gear. With face plating, its going in, period. You can cheat a little on your clutch disengagement, thereby making for a faster shift. I can shift faster with it then a synchro'd trans. I had guys watching me at Gateway and they noticed how fast my shifts were. They said there didnt seem to be the wind up between gears that you usually hear with keeping it to the floor. All 4 gears without a hitch. I've got 8-10K on mine and no trouble yet.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

I don't have alot on it yet. maybe 2k? I didn't get the car runnning til late this year.
Daveess02-not many people believe I am staying on the gas(powershifting) because it doesn't wind up at all between shifts.
I faceplated mine cause I was having trouble missing gears not even powershifting
Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

double clutching is part of doing proper heel-toe, so you are really practicing the same maneuver
Old 11-01-2008, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

in all honestly, i feel i can shift just as fast w/ a synchro'd tranny then i could with my proshifted.

to get teh FULL benefit of a faceplated setup you need to run a slipper clutch. this way you dont have to use the clutch at all and you just shift from gear to gear.

same here

stock T56, december of 05'
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...s-Am_20017.htm

faceplated T56, 10-30-08, 10-31-08
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...e-f28e029ae5f3
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

for faceplated cars, wouldn't regular old school "18 wheeler shifting" do the trick for driving on the street? i cant imagine why it wouldn't.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 AM
10 Second Club

yes for normal driving double clutching works great
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

vid of me w/ proshifted-

vid of me w/ synchro'd- ( i'm driving the SS)
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...ent=MOV078.flv

Not to make fun, but seems you forgot how to drive in the proshifted video (horrible burnout, missed a gear top end) Seems you relearned in the synchro'd vid

Tip: Your FIRST launch is your BEST launch. Cut out that dry hop crap and you will have better 60' times every time, more consistent as well.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

more info on the slipper clutch please.Can it be street driven and who makes them?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

mccloed Soft LOC. they have 8 adjusters inside the bell. Someone said that Taner would tighten them so he could street drive
Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

here's some good faceplated shifting.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...97392526&hl=en
I got a camera now so I am gonna have some incar vids this year. My car is too quiet to here from the outside
Old 01-06-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
for faceplated cars, wouldn't regular old school "18 wheeler shifting" do the trick for driving on the street? i cant imagine why it wouldn't.
That would work fine, but really its not needed. Once you get a feel for it normal shifts are effortless and quiet.

Andrew

Quick Reply: My Faceplated T56 experience