Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch or motor mount issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or motor mount issue?

Squeal and vibration when clutch is engaged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 months ago i replaced my clutch and when finished, my car has had a bad vibration that shakes the entire car. It only happens when the clutch is engaged from a dead stop and when engaging it when downshifting. And when the engine is under load and i press the clutch quickly, i hear a single knock.

Someone advised me that maybe my drive shaft needs to be checked or most likely the yoke or universal joint needs to be replaced on it. I replaced the rear end with a moser 12 bolt recently and the problem still exists.

The vibration goes away if i rev the motor to 2k rpms when i release the clutch. If i do not rev it up a small bit, the car violently vibrates and you can hear a ticking sound underneath the car. (can't really tell exactly where) I have never experienced this at all until i replaced my clutch and perhaps i screwed something up during the install.

As always, i appreciate everyones input and thanks in advnace.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

What kind of clutch did you use? It sounds like chatter to me and the ticking you hear could be the exhaust hitting under the car. the only thing i dont know is what would make the single knock under load, you could try searching for it if no one else chimes in.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Teching In

It vibrates and chatters when i take off but after i get going there is no noise.
when the drivetrain is getting power to it and i press the clutch in slowly with ease, it doesnt make the clunk / knock noise, but when i press it down quickly it makes the noise.

it has to be my clutch, im gonna be pissed if it isnt lol

if not, could it be my motor or transmission mounts?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the knock you hear when you release the clutch is your exhaust hitting the floor board. if your in 4th gear slowly to a stop and you go to neutral at 5mph, the engine is bogged down and once you release that clutch quickly, the engine is free from the tranny and is shifted back to its position on the mounts. i brought my car into the shop thinking i had a motor mount or clutch problem like you and my guy said thats just the stock rubber mounts for ya. the chatter you also hear is probably just your aftermarket clutch if you have one. check your tranny mount too