Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Quick help needed, clutch won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Quick help needed, clutch won't disengage

Hi all,

Car is an 02 WS6 TransAm with 85000mi, stock clutch. I was driving casually yesterday and as I went to shift from 2 to 3, right as I got the shifter in neutral, the clutch engaged and locked the vehicle in neutral. The clutch pedal travels in and out as normal, but feels very light and springy. I can not disengage the clutch when the car is running, and when I try to start the car with the shifter in 1st gear, the car jumps forward.

I had the car towed to the local repair shop and they said there is no visible external linkage problems so they're going to have to go inside the tranny. He is writing up a bunch of quotes before he opens it up so that I'll know how much money I'm getting into.

So....three questions:
1) any ideas on what it could be?
2) Any idea on cost to fix?
3) If the tranny is opened up and dismantled, should I upgrade the clutch while they're in there?

I would really appreciate some help pretty quick as he is going to call me this morning with estimates.

Thanks all!

Russell

Last edited by ws6-speed; 11-11-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I doubt you need to go into the transmission. Its probably a hydraulic problem, theres no "linkage" on an f-body. The first thing you should do is check the fluid level in the small resevoir near the brake fluid resevoir.

If the fluids low, add some and pump the pedal to see what happens. The master cylinder is most likely your problem however. Heres a link to our prices on our own adjustable master as well as gm replacement master and slave. http://www.tick-performance.com/cata...ody/driveline/

The problem could also be a faulty pressure plate/clutch. Either way, I doubt theres a problem internally in the transmission. You can probably expect to pay 1-2 hours labor for replacing the master, and probably 3-5 hours for replacing the slave and/or clutch assembly.

With 85000 miles on the stock clutch, its probably due for a new one anyway.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Jonathan! Does replacing the slave cylinder require dropping the transmission? The shop guy said they'd have to drop the transmission to check out the slave cylinder and see if it's the problem. He didn't mention anything about checking the master cylinder. I did take a look and it did look a little low, though I didn't look very close.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the trans will have to come out to replace the slave. Its mounted on the input shaft.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks!

Hm...wonder if I should upgrade the clutch while it's apart????
Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well,

After some thought, more reading, and the responses in this thread, I had the car towed to LMR. They are going to look it over and if they need to drop the tranny, I'm going to have them install an LS7 clutch package while it's out
Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a broken clutch.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well,

First, I have to give props to the guys at LMR! They got my car turned around in a day! Turns out the slave cylinder was out. So they replaced it and swapped out the clutch with an LS7 and I'm out the door

As everyone has mentioned, the clutch engagement point on the LS7 is crazy low. In fact, it never completely disengages. If I put the car in 1st with the clutch fully depressed and rev the engine the car will start to move forward. Not a big deal, as I'm expecting the shift point to move further up as the clutch breaks in, just an FYI. It takes a bit of getting used to. I mean, the instant I move my left foot the clutch is grabbing. I'll let you know how it grabs after I break it in for the next 500 miles or so.

But again, highly recommend LMR. The guys were great, great price, no upcharge for parts, and man were they quick.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
As everyone has mentioned, the clutch engagement point on the LS7 is crazy low. In fact, it never completely disengages. If I put the car in 1st with the clutch fully depressed and rev the engine the car will start to move forward. Not a big deal, as I'm expecting the shift point to move further up as the clutch breaks in, just an FYI. It takes a bit of getting used to. I mean, the instant I move my left foot the clutch is grabbing. I'll let you know how it grabs after I break it in for the next 500 miles or so.
Just put miles on it and the pedal enagement height will come up to normal, mine took just over 500 miles.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

I just got a new clutch and I thought my hydraulics were dragging. I didn't know they need to wear down a little before engagement goes back to normal.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well,

As promised, about 500 miles later and the clutch engagement point is back to stock. I don't know how that whole thing works, but it did. The LS7 is a noticeable upgrade over my stock setup!!! I'm still babying it a bit just to make sure it's broken in gently, but it grabs much quicker than the stocker
Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

good to hear i just got an ls7 clutch also while i was having my tranny rebuilt and was concerned about that and it's good news to hear i hopefully wont need a shim.

Quick Reply: Quick help needed, clutch won't disengage