Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Squeaky Pressure Plate? Need Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Squeaky Pressure Plate? Need Recommendation

Clutch suddenly quit disengaging. Suspected slave cylinder so I replaced it. Not the problem. Peddle pressure is a little less than normal. Peddle feel is not very smooth during last half of travel.

Now when I depress the clutch, a squeak is coming from clutch area. It sounds like metal-against metal. Almost like a spring is being stretched and rubbing on something. Clutch is a ZOOM model MU70185. 4 years old & 33k miles.

Question 1: Do you think the pressure plate has failed and is causing the squeak?

Question 2: If I replace the clutch, what do you recommend. FYI, I no longer drag race and I pamper the clutch. I don't even accelerate very hard any more. Want something that will hold the power and last a LONG time. Don't want to spend much more the $500. If kit doesn't come with a flywheel, plan to buy a new one from Auto Zone.

Considering: Centerforce Dual Friction or DFX clutch. Hays 85-105. RAM Powergrip or Powergrip HD from Summit

I need your help.
Danny
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to a Technical Support person at ZOOM, the company who made the clutch that appears to have failed. He said it sounded like the self-adjusting mechanism failed and said that the only way to know for sure was to remove the clutch. I have been kicking myself for not removing the bell housing and looking at the clutch when I replaced the slave but now I know it wouldn't have helped me diagnose *that* problem.

Regarding Question #2, I would appreciate any comments (pro or con) you have on clutch brands and models.

Danny

Quick Reply: Squeaky Pressure Plate? Need Recommendation