Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranzilla T56

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranzilla T56

First of all, I am doing a LSx swap into my Fox Body Mustang, and my 6.0 truck block 414" is at the machine shop as we speak.

I need a serious tranny to back it up for the street, and was looking at the Tranzilla. I have emailed them a few times requesting pricing, availability, etc...but have had no luck in a response. So, do any of you guys run one, and if so, what did you pay/how long have you had it, how happy, and what type of abuse are you throwing at it? My combo is a 414" L92 headed, 12:1, solid roller with a carb that should make 650-700 flywheel HP and I am going to spray it on top of that, so should see the north side of 900 HP in a 2800 LB Mustang with me in it.

Now, I am open to others and their T56 (not even sold on the 56, could be a TKO 500/600 for all that I care) I jsut need a serious tranny that is gonna hold up. My little stroked 302 SBF running 9.70's on the gas, I broke my old school Tremmec 3550 and then I went to a Richmond 4+1 5speed, and broke it as well. I am ALMOST tempted to run an auto, and I am still thinking about it as alot less work, and alot less breakage.

ANYWAYS, give me some info on your experience with T56/TKO500/600 and what you have put them through, prcing, and who you got it through, please!

Last edited by Gen414; 11-28-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: make correction
Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

A Viper spec'd T56 is more than enough in a lighter chassis like the Fox body cars . I just installed one in my 94 GT with a 393W and the car is about 3500 lbs .

Also how did you break a T3650 behind a 302 based engine ? The bolt pattern is totally different between the Windsor and the mod engines .
Old 11-27-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he might have gotton a scattershield that had the correct bolt pattern.. thats saying they make such a thing, which im not sure if they do
Old 11-27-2008, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thesource
A Viper spec'd T56 is more than enough in a lighter chassis like the Fox body cars . I just installed one in my 94 GT with a 393W and the car is about 3500 lbs .

Also how did you break a T3650 behind a 302 based engine ? The bolt pattern is totally different between the Windsor and the mod engines .

Used a Lakewood scattershield. Ford Motorsport also has a bellhousing for it to work (I think so, if my memory serves me correctly, been @ 10 years)
If you were asking how I could break it with just a little 302, you definitely are underestimating that motor.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

A Viper spec'd T56 is more than enough in a lighter chassis like the Fox body

Where are you guys getting them done? How much? How much power are they able to handle? Are you saying a Viper spec T56 will handle 900+HP?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gen414
Used a Lakewood scattershield. Ford Motorsport also has a bellhousing for it to work (I think so, if my memory serves me correctly, been @ 10 years)
If you were asking how I could break it with just a little 302, you definitely are underestimating that motor.
Thats a 3550 not a 3650 . The 3650 is the trans that came in the 2001-up Gt Mustang .

Where are you guys getting them done? How much? How much power are they able to handle? Are you saying a Viper spec T56 will handle 900+HP?
I actually picked up a Ford Motorsports T56 unit off of Ebay last year for a good price or so I thought . Once I opened it up , it has screwed up the area where the reverse gear rides and then flushed metal through out the unit and knocked teeth off of the input and cluster . I decided since I was going to have to replace the gears anyways , I might as well convert it to the 2.66 ratio from the factory 2.97 ratio so I did . It already had the large out put shaft since it was a Ford Motorsports unit and I added the input shaft on the rebuild .

To answer your question , yes a Viper spec unit in your application + the weight of your car should handle 900-1000 horsepower .
Old 11-28-2008, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Thats a 3550 not a 3650 . The 3650 is the trans that came in the 2001-up Gt Mustang .

I actually picked up a Ford Motorsports T56 unit off of Ebay last year for a good price or so I thought . Once I opened it up , it has screwed up the area where the reverse gear rides and then flushed metal through out the unit and knocked teeth off of the input and cluster . I decided since I was going to have to replace the gears anyways , I might as well convert it to the 2.66 ratio from the factory 2.97 ratio so I did . It already had the large out put shaft since it was a Ford Motorsports unit and I added the input shaft on the rebuild .

To answer your question , yes a Viper spec unit in your application + the weight of your car should handle 900-1000 horsepower .

Yeah I could not remember the part number onteh trans. And now re-reading my post I see how it looks like I said I broke 2 different Tremec's I could not remember the part number since it was so long ago. I broke the 3550 and Richmond (and actually was so long ago, the Ricmond was called a Doug Nash 5 speed) I will fix my above post.

How much are you guys paying for the Viper spec trans, and where can I get one? What about the Tranzilla? Still would like to hear about it as well. Becasue when I DO go to the track, it's not pretty. And I want to make SURE the trans will hold. When I was running my 302 based stroker on gas, I had to spin it to make power, so I was side stepping clutches at 7000RPM WITH the giggle gas flowing. Now, I know I will not have to spin my 414" that high to get her too go, but just trying to get the point across I am not friendly to my transmissions
On my Doug Nash I broke input shaft. Another day, it was the output shaft and took out the case on that one. The your typical blocking rings.
On the tremmec, in the beginning, I could not speed shift it at 7500RPM, so I broke alot of synchro's. I did manage to break the input shaft on teh Tremmec as well.
I aslo learned when running ladder bars, that your rear end exle tubes BETTER be welded to the cener section, the hard way. On Ford 8.8 rear end, the tubes are just presed into the center section with a plug weld. Well, when you are leaving at 7000RPM on the juice, you CAN rotate the center section 90 degrees into your floorboard and take out your driveshaft and ujoints with it (as well as hit the starting line guy with driveshaft parts)

So, I need a serious tranny. Any more input is greatly appreciated
Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

If the car is going to be a track only car , I would suggest going with a face plated unit whether its a T56 , Tremec TKO 600 or maybe even a Muncie 4 spd . A TH350 or TH400 with a trans brake and matching convertor would be the cheapest way to go and probably the fastest .

If its a street car , I would suggest the Viper spec'd T56 or maybe even a stout 4L80E auto.

As far as the Transzilla goes , they are super expensive .
Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

If the car is going to be a track only car , I would suggest going with a face plated unit whether its a T56 , Tremec TKO 600 or maybe even a Muncie 4 spd . A TH350 or TH400 with a trans brake and matching convertor would be the cheapest way to go and probably the fastest .

If its a street car , I would suggest the Viper spec'd T56 or maybe even a stout 4L80E auto.

As far as the Transzilla goes , they are super expensive .

It's a serious street effort car that will see some track time. I know the cost for a serios t56 will be more expensive than an auto. You say super expensive for the Tranzilla, but how much?? That is what I need to know, as I have found NO pricing on that trans anywhere.

My only concern is: 1)Can it take the abuse of a 900+HP street car that will see some track time on slicks?
2)How much?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

LMAO ....... there's a reason no one is advertising the price . If you have to ask , chances are you cannot afford it . I personally would not buy one even if I could afford to .
Old 11-28-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think a face plated T56 viper spec would run about 4-5 grand I believe.

edit: And yes there are several people in that HP range that still run a T56.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

. If you have to ask , chances are you cannot afford it .
Well, that's not the case. I'm asking because if they are asking something stupid, than I can keep searching as I am looking at GForce transmissions 5 speed. I just needed a price on Rockland's Tranzilla and if anyone has one, as it is rated for something like 1200HP, but can not find a price on it or any first hand knowledge on it to see if their claim is true. Kind of amazing I ask a question, and you want to give an opinion on something that is irrelevant, like whether or not you would buy one. I'm sorry, I did not ask YOU if you would buy one or not, did I? For future reference, just because someone ask's a price on something, does not mean whether or not they can afford it. It simply means (in my case) I care on what I pay for, and I don't just throw money around for the sake of just throwing it around.

Last edited by Gen414; 11-28-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jon5212
I think a face plated T56 viper spec would run about 4-5 grand I believe.

edit: And yes there are several people in that HP range that still run a T56.
Hey I appreciate it and thanks for the info.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

Well, that's not the case. I'm asking because if they are asking something stupid, than I can keep searching as I am looking at GForce transmissions 5 speed. I just needed a price on Rockland's Tranzilla and if anyone has one, as it is rated for something like 1200HP, but can not find a price on it or any first hand knowledge on it to see if their claim is true. Kind of amazing I ask a question, and you want to give an opinion on something that is irrelevant, like whether or not you would buy one. I'm sorry, I did not ask YOU if you would buy one or not, did I? For future reference, just because someone ask's a price on something, does not mean whether or not they can afford it. It simply means (in my case) I care on what I pay for, and I don't just throw money around for the sake of just throwing it around.
Why not call Rockland Gear Co. and ask them yourself ? Please report back after you get the answers you are looking for and we can discuss things from there .
Old 11-28-2008, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get ahold of JOEY at TICK PERFORMANCE....i got a stage 2 build to hold 750 RWHP for $1260 with shipping included and new bearings..great people, great prices, great service..KICK AZZZ SPONSOR!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 02:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
get ahold of JOEY at TICK PERFORMANCE....i got a stage 2 build to hold 750 RWHP for $1260 with shipping included and new bearings..great people, great prices, great service..KICK AZZZ SPONSOR!!!
Cool, thanks for the info. I will look into it
Old 11-28-2008, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Why not call Rockland Gear Co. and ask them yourself ? Please report back after you get the answers you are looking for and we can discuss things from there .
Well, this being a forum that I figured many people would have used their product, I would get an answer straight from the consumer. Not going to get into a pissing match with you.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you either . I have said more than once you would be fine with a Viper spec T56 . As for asking about where I got mine or how much I paid , to clear things up , I built it but I cannot go into details because I am not a sponsor on this site .

A Tranzilla is more than twice that price .
Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you either . I have said more than once you would be fine with a Viper spec T56 . As for asking about where I got mine or how much I paid , to clear things up , I built it but I cannot go into details because I am not a sponsor on this site .

A Tranzilla is more than twice that price .

That's all you had to say my man I have recieved all PM, and replied back to all, You guys have been great.

As far as Tick's. Can not find them. Now, I will be the first to admit on what I DO know, and what I DON'T. I don't do computers, So, how can I find this Ticks? I tried Google. Is there anything else I can try?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:05 AM
9 Second Club

As far as Tick's. Can not find them. Now, I will be the first to admit on what I DO know, and what I DON'T. I don't do computers, So, how can I find this Ticks? I tried Google. Is there anything else I can try?

http://www.tick-performance.com/ Heres the website

Quick Reply: Tranzilla T56