Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How to make T56 hold up in high HP cars.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How to make T56 hold up in high HP cars.

I feel the biggest problem running a T56 in high hp cars is the lack on lubrication on the head set gear and front gear on the counter shaft. After tearing up 2 G-Force gears I studied the gears closely and discovered that the gears were messed up because of lack of lubrication. Under hard acceleration where does the fluid go?....yes to the rear of the tranny, leaving the head set gear dry and that gear is supplying load through the counter shaft in every gear except 4th gear.

I decided that I wanted to rig up a pump so that I was always spraying fluid on the head set gear. I looked around and found a 12 volt electric gear pump and so far so good. I just got finished taking my tranny apart to inspect it and the head set gear and front counter shaft gear still look brand new.

Name:  transpump1.jpg
Views: 4198
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  transpump3.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  119.7 KB
Old 12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a situation like yours where the car is probably face plated and a pure race car , I would play with fluids instead of worrying about spraying it on the gears like you have done .

I would think a full synthetic race fluid like the stuff Synergen offers would cling to the gears for a long enough period until the car came down and the fluid leveled off .
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I feel the biggest problem running a T56 in high hp cars is the lack on lubrication on the head set gear and front gear on the counter shaft. After tearing up 2 G-Force gears I studied the gears closely and discovered that the gears were messed up because of lack of lubrication. Under hard acceleration where does the fluid go?....yes to the rear of the tranny, leaving the head set gear dry and that gear is supplying load through the counter shaft in every gear except 4th gear.

I decided that I wanted to rig up a pump so that I was always spraying fluid on the head set gear. I looked around and found a 12 volt electric gear pump and so far so good. I just got finished taking my tranny apart to inspect it and the head set gear and front counter shaft gear still look brand new.

correct! i added a pump filter and cooler 2 years ago. it is money well spent!
as well, i believe that a year or 2 ago tremec added a pump to the t56 transmissions to send fluid up to the front where the trans is being starved of lubrication on hard launches, just what i heard. i turn my pump on when i run the car, otherwise it is left off, no need for it tio be turned on when driving the car on the street. i too have seen the same type of problems in the past.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
In a situation like yours where the car is probably face plated and a pure race car , I would play with fluids instead of worrying about spraying it on the gears like you have done .

I would think a full synthetic race fluid like the stuff Synergen offers would cling to the gears for a long enough period until the car came down and the fluid leveled off .
I have a normal synchroed G-Force T56 and my car is 90% street car and 10% drag car. Racing liter motorcycles from 50-150 is hard on that head set gear. I have ran my tranny with 100% of the G-Force fluid and that didn't help. Spraying the gear has been the answer.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by taner
as well, i believe that a year or 2 ago tremec added a pump to the t56 transmissions to send fluid up to the front where the trans is being starved of lubrication on hard launches, just what i heard. i turn my pump on when i run the car, otherwise it is left off, no need for it to be turned on when driving the car on the street. i too have seen the same type of problems in the past.
I just run my pump all the time. That is why I wanted a gear pump instead of a diaphragm pump because I felt diaphragm pump would wear out much sooner than a gear pump.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

If you guys are having success , use it . I personally don't see how its helping much .
Old 12-26-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

as well, i believe that a year or 2 ago tremec added a pump to the t56 transmissions to send fluid up to the front where the trans is being starved of lubrication on hard launches, just what i heard. i turn my pump on when i run the car, otherwise it is left off, no need for it tio be turned on when driving the car on the street. i too have seen the same type of problems in the past.

The OEM pumps on the LS7 and late model T56s just circulate
the fluid for consistent temps, no spray bar, just dumps the
cooled fluid back to the top side of the case, right where the
alignment bolts are.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The OEM pumps on the LS7 and late model T56s just circulate
the fluid for consistent temps, no spray bar, just dumps the
cooled fluid back to the top side of the case, right where the
alignment bolts are.
ok, thanks mike, i was just stating what i had heard. my assumption was that they would be spraying oil at 4th gear where it needs it. i have had to swap 4th gear out due to heat, caused by lack of fluid. that was the main reason i added the pump. i had heard of road course guys doing it, which makes perfect sense.

i installed a weldon pump to handle circulation, i even had Kinsler flow it, and turn up the pressure to be on the safe side.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a big help on high hp cars.I would just use a WOT switch to activate the pump.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 PM

slowhawk,

that is a great idea, i mean i have the fast turning all sorts of **** at WOT, lol!!! i am pretty sure I still have one more output I can utilize.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

what fluid are you high HP guys using? would it help any if you overfilled it a little?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you overfill, you risk airating the fluid and causing friction damage. If you do overfill, you need to make sure you add anti-foaming agents that don't change the ATF friction/lubrication properties..
Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 AM

redline atf d4 is good fluid, as well as synergyn fluids. that is about the only reliable product i purchased from G Force, lmmfao! hey i just made a funny. i figure it is a good product as it is puchased from a good vendor.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

redline atf d4 is good fluid, as well as synergyn fluids. that is about the only reliable product i purchased from G Force, lmmfao! hey i just made a funny. i figure it is a good product as it is puchased from a good vendor.
hey Taner. liberty told me to use syncromesh with the faceplate. Have you found something better?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

nice work !
Old 01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good. what clutch and internals are you guys using? I only intend to make 700whp so i'm not nearly stressing the car as much as some of you guys
Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

I am running a Spec twin disk and I have a G-force T-56.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
drz
On The Tree

I see you have a McLeod Blowproof bellhousing. Did you check the bellhousing alignment when you installed it? The McLeod Blowproof housing is notorious for it's bad alignment, particularly concentricity. If the input shaft is poorly aligned, the headset gears would not run parallel to each other and may become damaged from missalignment. Just a thought.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

yes I checked it and it is good.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

The McLeod Blowproof housing is notorious for it's bad alignment, particularly concentricity.

This is simply not true. The installation of this bell REQUIRES the alignment of the bell to the engine pilot bearing as a basic step. You cannot just bolt it up & go. Anyone with alignment problems simply did not follow instructions.

Quick Reply: How to make T56 hold up in high HP cars.