Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec will not fully disengage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spec will not fully disengage

Ok so I just installed another Spec 2, same exact clutch that I pulled out. Only reason the old one went bad is some oil got on it from the oil pressure sensor breaking on the back of the motor...long story. Anyways there was not a shim behind the slave but Spec's installation instructions stated it needed one so I installed the shim they supplied. Well now it will not fully disengage. I can put it in first...its hard but it will go...and it will start pushing the tires with the pedal on the floor. Do I need to remove the shim?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Removing the shim will make it even more difficult to dissengage the clutch, as it will move the slave cylinder further away. Did you bleed all of the air out? Do you have an adjustable master? Always measure new & old parts to ensure that slave cylinder travel is the same.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no I do not have an adjustable master, yes we bled the slave but I did change the slave or master cylinder. I did not even actually crack open the line, just unbolted the slave and slid it off the input shaft. It just leaves me up in the air because there was not a shim before with the same kind of clutch. I guess I just need to call SPEC.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend you talk to Tickshift.com I had the same issue I have 20 k on my camaro and installed the shim cause after talking to Spec's tech line they said I needed it. Well after 500 miles it warped my flyweel. I ordered a new aluminum flywheel from spec and found tickshift on here and ordered their remote bleeder for the slave so i can bleed the slave from the top of the car. Then I talked to them about the shim issues and they sent me a measuring diagram to see if the shim is needed. After i did my measurements I found that the shim was not needed and I have no more chatter on my clutch and it disengages properly.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Platinum, our single disc units for F-body's are intended for use with the shim. Removing the shim will not help your situation, in fact it will make it worse. Where is the engagement point when you are release the pedal? Is this constant or does it change with use/temperature? You initial post is a bit confusing in regards to your use of a new slave or not. Was it changed? In rereading the post I assume not but I wanted to make sure. Let me know and we can go from there. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Platinum, our single disc units for F-body's are intended for use with the shim. Removing the shim will not help your situation, in fact it will make it worse.

He said that he had no shim before, then added a shim w/ the fresh clutch & now has dissengagement issues. In his case, how is the shim not the issue?

To the OP & everyone else whom does their own clutch work. Nothing can be assumed. You MUST, MUST, MUST always measure to confirm proper engagement of the slave cylinder to the pressure plate. LS1Tech found this to be important enough to create a sticky on the subjet (top of this section). There is a diagram of where & how to measure in the sticky as well.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Perhaps there is some confusion about what the shim does...let me clarify. It seems that the original poster is having issues with release. Release occurs when the diaphragm fingers are actuated (compressed). If the clutch is not releasing fully it would evidence that there is an issue with total stack height, throw of the bearing, etc... If the clutch needs the shim to maintain OE height, not using the shim would cause the clutch to sit further from the bearing face (remember the shim spaces the bearing away from the bottom/back of the transmission). This would inturn lead to a bearing that is unable to compress the fingers enough to release the clutch fully.

If the customer was having an issue of slippage or high-pedal engagement that would evidence that he didn't need the shim. But, this customer is explaining something completely different. He clearly says that the clutch will not release.

On the oposite side of this equation, if the clutch is being over extended, meaning that the bearing is pushing the diaphragm through the pivot...causing it to not release, the customer would be able to shift gear if the clutch pedal were not fully depressed. This is why I asked about the engagement point in my last post.

I appreciate your questions and hope that this explanation clarifies things. If not, let me know and I will be happy to provide more info. Thanks!